What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to start my scratch build apache for my 2.6" nike smoke.. looked for sim files so I can get the fin dimensions. Not sure if ill go 29mm airframe or 38mm. Put together an oder for madcows black Friday sale :)
There is a reason the Nike-Cajun and the Nike-Apache are called the Nike-Capache by some, as the dimensions for the two rockets and the appearances are so close as to be nearly identical. However Peter Alway has done excellent drawings of the rockets and both Apache and Cajun are well documented, iirc the diiference was the sustainer motors length.

Got my first reloadable motor today, plus a reload. The RMS 29/40-120 has a good variety or reloads in the impulse range I've been using recently, and likely will most of next year. It took me quite a while to get to this point - lots of reading, comparing, etc. before making the investment.

Question: Do I really need to adhere to the "do not open reload kit until ready to use" warning? I thought that you could build motors well in advance as long as they were stored correctly.

20231125_151724.jpg20231125_151738.jpg

Got my first reloadable motor today, plus a reload. The RMS 29/40-120 has a good variety or reloads in the impulse range I've been using recently, and likely will most of next year. It took me quite a while to get to this point - lots of reading, comparing, etc. before making the investment.

Question: Do I really need to adhere to the "do not open reload kit until ready to use" warning? I thought that you could build motors well in advance as long as they were stored correctly.

View attachment 617085View attachment 617086
Can’t answer the question but I also have one my 1 reload I will probably ever need.

View attachment 617085View attachment 617086

Yes, they can be stored assembled for months, even years potentially. But generally there's not much reason to open them before building them, and most people try not to have too many built motors hanging around because that impedes your future flexibility.

If you can find a good straight-on photograph I can scale the dimensions in autocad. You could get pretty close from a drawing that Peter Alway posted to the forum recently. For that matter all of the dimensions are in his book.

Here are various photos I have. The first is from an old book I had. The second is someone else's rocket. The third is a photo of the one at White Sands taken over 20 years ago. I couldn't get back far enough to get a good view of the entire rocket.
Thanks for the pics :) I also responded to your private message. .. I was looking around and they may not be but the patriot missile fins look pretty close. I was hoping I could get already made fiverglass fins from madcow.. thats what I did with the Nike fins..I actually have that same Estes nike apache rocket like in your second pic.. didn't think about measuring that and the nike fins on it. Then doing a ratio to get them somewhat close.. not sure what scale the estes kit is in..

Looking to start my scratch build apache for my 2.6" nike smoke.. looked for sim files so I can get the fin dimensions. Not sure if ill go 29mm airframe or 38mm. Put together an oder for madcows black Friday sale :)
You can upscale the fin templates here:
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1957.htmOr get the dimensions from the drawing in Alway's Rockets of the World.

A bit under the weather today. But while the grandchildren were over, I managed to drag my butt outside and get one rocket in the air. Der Red Max with a 24mm mount, courtesy of @BSNW from this thread. It screams on a D22 Q-Jet and they were impressed. The 1½ year-old is still walking around doing countdowns and growling like the rocket did when it took off. Thanks Andrew, it's a great flyer and still looks good! I've never managed to get an "up" picture of it.

A college classmate of my son's showed up at GRITS last weekend. It was his first time seeing the hobby and he was very interested. After chasing his "first-born" Hijinks a couple times on Saturday, I let him fly this Der Red Max on Sunday with the same D22. I also presented my Der Big Red Max kit to him, still in the box, as encouragement. That was the second DBRM that I bought, and the second one I've given away for the same reason. Well worth it if they will get some pleasure from building and flying.

IMG_9253-e.jpg

I would have flown it a couple more times, along with a couple others, but freshly plowed dirt is slow walking. It was launched beside that little tuft of pines on the other side of the house, that walk was enough for today. Maybe again tomorrow.

It's time to update the pad/launcher to make launching easier when they're around.

Maybe a plague on you. BUT IMO people most people who express this knee jerk reaction are just trying to tell all of us how they are superior to us 'mental midgets' that actual understand how social media is an amazing way we can keep in contact with 10s of people who love us, 1000s of friends, and millions of people who share one of our passions. Instead they get all upset about ads and the fact they joined groups that are hate bait.
It wasn't a knee Jerk reaction by me at all. I recently got back into rocketry after not doing anything for 10 years. Many Facebook pages are great, I know how to use Facebook and have since 2009. The only reason I use it is to keep in touch with family and share things. One of those now, being that I got back into Rocketry in May was to join some Facebook pages to learn, pass forward, and share what I learn to help others.

Now, I was under impression as are many others that a certain Facebook rocketry group is officially tied to the company. In all the excitement in rocketry being new, I didn't look past the the logo or the fact that it has 30k very active members. Well after reading some posts, seeing some pictures, and getting advice that was just horrible or made no sense. I read the page description a little more, and after several paragraphs at the bottom you see it was made in Massachusetts around 2018 or something by some random guy or kid. I was more bummed out and just stopped posting there, all together.

Well yesterday's morning had a conversion on another page, very polite about that page. It was about that page not being directly affiliated with Estes and I myself prefer now not to use it. Now this person continued to insist that it was official, he was the real deal. Until I told him it wasn't, then he changed his story. Then he started posting random comments that made little sense, then he messaged me first and told me I was being a ********, and if I was nicer I would have gotten further. For what reason other than I called him out politely and he got mad about it. Then proceeded to delete or permanent ban me from the pages.

You can't really go anywhere on social media anymore without at least one person, or most people just being straight out liars, fakes, not who they really are identify wise, cyber bullies, annoying, butting IN when they don't need too, and much more. People have no respect either because there's no instant repercussions on Facebook or any other platform. So is that me being mad or upset about an "ad" or group I joined being "hate bate" was it? And if that guy would like to defend himself, I took and have all the screenshots of the post and the nice private messages he sent me. You think a moderator for two groups would be a little nicer to people. Funny part is I violated nothing and wasn't even on the page he claimed was offical when he banned me from a totally different page not even related. But yet he deleted me from both and blocked me from them apparently. I was actually happy, I'd rather stick to the forum. More over here are a little more passionate and willing to share effective knowledge and advice.

Last edited:
This is the way.

You can always use an adapter to go smaller. I've not yet seen one that lets you go bigger.
I'm also finding that out, same with low/mid power. People may think im a goof ball, but I've been making many 29mm down to the Cherokee-E and Baby Bertha. Now, I'm not flying them all the time with 29mm or for the first flight. Most of them, or even L1 rockets, some even L2(Zephyr for Example)can fly on much smaller motors like even a G80-10. You can get a few flights to test it out, but most importantly yourself.

Its so much more helpful for me to be able to fly them first locally in even small fields. Then at my one spot and club go a little higher, the other club as high as they will go really. I won't hit the waiver limit, nor would I want to even jeopardize it.

I do that for the motor mount..I was meaning the airframe at 29mm or 38mm.. sounds like 1" would be scale for the sustainer with the booster at 2.6".
Do you mean its gonna transition from a 38mm minimum diameter rocket to then a 29mm airframe?

Myself today downloaded the new version of OR. Very cool!

Attachments

• 20231125_191805.jpg
    20231125_191805.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Pulled out some rockets to launch with the TARC team tomorrow. Looks like I’ll finally get Split Infinitive in the air.

Updated inventory spreadsheets with the latest damage from Black Friday sales. A great many new entries with the tag "ordered."

Spent some time refining designs for what will likely become my next three rockets, or at least three of the next four.

• Wrote up a launch report here
  • Working on fixing a fin or two
  • Putting a permanent motor mount into the QuickDraw as the interchangeable motor mount host part was charcoal. So the best alternative, is just glue in the single 29mm mount
  • I had an Altimeter One get hit sorta hard. But all it did was break the plastic off the USB port end. I took it apart, made sure the LiPo was not damaged and then put everything back together. It works just fine. WooHoo. $60USD not wasted.
  • Tried to find anyone who had leads like the Firestar FS-12. If I learned anything from my launch yesterday its that either I insert ignitors in the motors as I assemble them (RMS of course) , which while following the manufacturer's instructions, is not what NAR and TRA say to do. Right. Or I need to find reliable tiny starters for E11s and 18mm and 24mm AP motors. Googling Firestar Electric Match got me nowhere. I should have bought 100 FS-12s. I don't mind doin my own, but I'd still like to find a supplier of starters for tiny nozzles OTHER than Aerotech at $14 for THREE. Seriously? However, if you all have a decent way of creating tiny AP starters... I am all ears. Soldering nichrome is not very good.

Got the new OR downloaded, wanted to do a sim for my 29mm High-Flier XL(I know the fins are...) and Cherokee-E I've been waiting to build. I've had these things for months. Anyways, the HF XL looks like 1500 and some feet in the F50 impulse range. I've been on it for a few hours and the battery is dead so I couldn't run anymore sims, lol. I'll let it charge downstairs and play again 2morrow.

So got a better idea of how im gonna do the boosted Big Daddy too. That's gonna be fun. I'm all about enjoying builds now, I'll test it. Everyone says "it won't work". I'll post the flight video. I'll be testing it though as always small first, then go up. If it all goes well I'll get some Es for the booster. I don't wanna chance an E in that rocket for an upper stage motor. Composite yeah, so when I get an RRC3 I have one more I can make both 29mm and composite. I'm hooked on that stupid spool I found thats 24mm inside and 29mm outside. I don't know why I'm going to bed.

Attachments

• 20231125_211531.jpg
    20231125_211531.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231125_215024.jpg
    20231125_215024.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do you mean its gonna transition from a 38mm minimum diameter rocket to then a 29mm airframe?

Myself today downloaded the new version of OR. Very cool!
No I built the booster at 2.6" and wanted to build an apache.. just started looking into it but figured a 29mm or 38mm sustainer would be close. Sounds like 29mm is the closest to scale.. its going to be a challenge making the interstage coupler but fun nonetheless..

• Wrote up a launch report here
  • Working on fixing a fin or two
  • Putting a permanent motor mount into the QuickDraw as the interchangeable motor mount host part was charcoal. So the best alternative, is just glue in the single 29mm mount
  • I had an Altimeter One get hit sorta hard. But all it did was break the plastic off the USB port end. I took it apart, made sure the LiPo was not damaged and then put everything back together. It works just fine. WooHoo. $60USD not wasted.
  • Tried to find anyone who had leads like the Firestar FS-12. If I learned anything from my launch yesterday its that either I insert ignitors in the motors as I assemble them (RMS of course) , which while following the manufacturer's instructions, is not what NAR and TRA say to do. Right. Or I need to find reliable tiny starters for E11s and 18mm and 24mm AP motors. Googling Firestar Electric Match got me nowhere. I should have bought 100 FS-12s. I don't mind doin my own, but I'd still like to find a supplier of starters for tiny nozzles OTHER than Aerotech at $14 for THREE. Seriously? However, if you all have a decent way of creating tiny AP starters... I am all ears. Soldering nichrome is not very good.
I’m pretty sure NAR and TRA are OK with inserting igniters ahead for F or smaller motors. You might talk with the RSO at the club you fly with to see if they have any objections. The places I’ve flown with require igniters at the pad only for G and higher.

I’m pretty sure NAR and TRA are OK with inserting igniters ahead for F or smaller motors. You might talk with the RSO at the club you fly with to see if they have any objections. The places I’ve flown with require igniters at the pad only for G and higher.
I'm part of clubs that fly both NAR and TRA. Most will say anything E/F and under is ok to do the igniter ahead. What I do is prep the rocket recovery wise, as soon as it's ready to fly, I'll insert the motor up to F composite at my table. When I'm ready to go to the pad, I'll insert the Estes type or First Fire Jr's and then use the rubber band and tape to hold the igniter leads to the rocket.

Then walk to the RSO table, they look and ask. All the keeping it pointed in a safe direction. I treat them like a loaded weapon, because they can go from model rocket to not fast.

But I agree with you, ask the club. I would add too never transport them or install an igniter anytime your not about to safely launch it. For G and up, I don't put the igniter in until the nosecone is pointed up. I prep the igniters at my table, and install them at the padaMy one club with the pads I need to use tape to hold the igniter. The other you can wrap the igniter around the rod that holds the rocket and they stay in. Always good too to have those leads from the box wrapped around a leg or something to keep them from following your rocket up. But any high power motor you absolutely don't install that igniter until it's ready to go up off the rail like you as well said, and its seated/sits where you want it to launch from or as far down as it will go on the rail and vertical. Keep your fingers back also, you never know. Just wanted to share a little experience I've had myself. Thanks for your response as well.

Oh one thing too is I saw a new rule and heard talk about next year any E motor or higher impulse, that rocket will be required to have rail buttons. I'm not sure where or when I heard it, does anyone know about that? Either way I'm putting rail buttons on most of mine anyways. I have two 1010 rail setups to use locally. Oh that's another thing, when I fly low/mid power local, I have a range box and don't install the igniter once again until its ready to go on the rail/rod. With with G, the pad.

Listening to a The Rocketry Show podcast, they are talking about URRG and Potter Field. Its a failed finger lake apparently. No wonder that farm land is so huge, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-000157_Spotify.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126-000157_Spotify.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 0
Spent the day starting to learn TinkerCAD and made a 3D printed sled for an EasyMini in a BT-60 coupler. Populated the sled, have to revise it tomorrow to make it narrower to fit in the coupler.
Having a blast.

Technically yesterday! Mounted and applied fillets to the sustainer fins on the Omega clone. So far I'm liking the new sanding sealer I picked up from eRockets. Vastly less dust and an easier sand overall. I'll get a better feel for how well it sealed the grain when I get the 1st primer coat on. The plan is to get the booster fins cut, sealed and possibly mounted today.

Back