What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was concerned about the same thing you experienced happening, so when I was building a 4" Exocet with a 3D nose cone, I foamed it so it'd possibly take impacts better.

Were you referring to your rocket or my Phoenix regarding "that might still buff out"?

Because it's buffed! šŸ˜

I had cleaned, sanded, filled, re-sanded and repainted the nose cone a few months ago as well as replaced *repaired, reinforced and refinished* the top bt section.

I'll do an update to my Phoenix rebuild thread after I launch it again next season.

496305-846c5442c45c5a9577eb53872c6f7c0e.data

I've tried and tried... I just don't seem to be able to grow a rocket garden...

Facebook is just a world of nothing that makes sense especially the "community standards". Other than to keep in touch with certain family members I probably wouldn't use it at all.
FB has been my lifeline to what few family and friends care after losing Kim. Without FB I don't think I could have made it this far... and it's still a lifeline.

Well, woke up today and checked my phone, like usually. Oh great more Facebook notifications! Ugh..

Long story short, This page is run by some guy, or two or three not affiliated with Estes at all. I don't take well to threats over messenger either. Especially when it all it was, was me asking you if this is an official page?

I don't get or can't stand those Facebook pages anymore. Its funny he had a temper tantrum when I told him it wasn't an offical page, after he insited "its the real deal", then said well no its not. I had been posting on it, thinking it WAS an Estes run page. I'm so happy I found out a few weeks back, and he banned me today, lol. Ouch, that one hurts...šŸ˜†.

I hate this new world, social media is a plague. Anyways, gonna get the bird in the oven soon. And maybe build some rockets later.
That's why I've gotten rid of Facebook and Instagram or any other platform.. I just follow subject specific forums like this one. Even Nextdoor got the boot. A plague is putting it lightly

FB has been my lifeline to what few family and friends care after losing Kim. Without FB I don't think I could have made it this far... and it's still a lifeline.
Yeah, that's my issue too. As I have kept in touch with a few a that has helped tremendously. I just need to stick with that and leave the other garbage alone. Sad part is I've only been commenting on the rocketry pages, and it keeps me going daily doing this hobby.

But at this point I dont need to share or ask questions on it daily or at all. Rude people hit me the wrong way. I know you may not be having the best day. But don't take it out on me or someone else(not you the Facebook crowd in general really) by insulting them for really no reason then banning them, lol. Ok then!

I just can't stand for that, I don't know why. I blame my mother and grandmothers for teaching me manners I guess.

I'm sorry for your loss.

That's why I've gotten rid of Facebook and Instagram or any other platform.. I just follow subject specific forums like this one. Even Nextdoor got the boot.
I liked that one Estes page, and I haven't launched or built anything in 10 years so was under the impression it was the Estes page as many others. The way I was told and it says, thats an Offical Estes page. So I liked it at first, then came the stupid comments. Or insulting ones. Then ones that made no sense to me. I've even had a guy argue with and tell me I'm not building my mid power rocket right. Buts he's never built one so he couldn't be sure.

A few more days then weeks like that I had enough, a few months ago I stopped posting on anything but rocketry pages if I could help it, lol. Then after today I'm done with that kind of nonsense, its not so much anger as I realized it's a waste of my time. Arguing with some dude you don't know, who may not even be anything close to what the profile says, for hours a day. I have a lot of down time, but I'll just stick with the forum.

OR can open and save RS files. So if you keep using RS, OR users can open your files, and many will be willing to save OR designs as RS files for you. And sure, it's better to be able to open the OR files yourself instead of bothering someone else; then if you want you can save them for RS and keep using what you're familiar with from there.

Or learn OR and become proficient with both. Whatever floats your boat. Just know that that's not altogether necessary.

Some people here on TRF, @lakeroadster comes to mind, can do things with openrocket I never would have thought possible... OTOH I also know that some of the more exotic designs don't sim quite right. But still. I think the one thing I'll never get used to is the motor config vs flight config. It just seems like switching windows is clunky and counter intuitive. To this day I often click new configuration then realize I added a new FLIGHT configuration, not motor. But as I said, OR is really capable of some remarkable designs. If only I knew how the Masters do it!

Last edited:
Glued in the motor mount on the Lance Delta. I used System 3 15-minute epoxy. They are the same folks that make T88. I also read through the instructions on the 2.1" Bull Puppy from PML. They suggest filling the tail cone with expanding foam. Has anyone done this? Is it preferred to internal fillets?

I've tried and tried... I just don't seem to be able to grow a rocket garden...
You need to find the right dirt field. Then be sure to use less ejection powder, tighter nose cones and/or sketch motors. Be sure to video your planting!
:popcorn:

BTW- For that one it was some odd rms motor failure that I kept getting responses of "I've never seen that before"; however AT has responded that they'll replace the case and reload, which is awesome.

Today I cut up 7 rockets and salvaged the parts. There are 4 more in the garage but I can't get to them because the cat's fort is in the way.
If you've stated previously why you are engaged in such a program of rocket recycling, I must have missed it. What's going on?

If you've stated previously why you are engaged in such a program of rocket recycling, I must have missed it. What's going on?
I have run out of room. For every rocket I build I have to take one down from the ceiling to put the new one up. I already have 15 in our storage unit. I'm cutting up some of the first rockets I built and didn't know what I didn't know.

Very little.. ordered another Bullet Bobby from Launch Lab with the Black Friday deal, and piddled around with the Rocketry Works Toobish XL.

It's too cold to paint.. might as well fill spirals.

I've been waiting quite a while for this particular kit to come back in stock, and really didn't see anything else I had to have

Looked at one vendor's web site and thought about buying. I didn't notice anything about Black Friday, and didn't get anything I think I'll lok at one or two others.

Got an 18" hemostat. Should let me reach into rockets to place a weld nut for rail buttons or with a tongue depressor apply some epoxy. Ordered the 3" Avenger from Starlight Rockets.

Changed my forum profile picture to an actual picture of myself. It's from the day I got my L1 certification - about 4 weeks ago. Paperwork in hand.

ETA: I started 2023 after 35 years away from the hobby, and the biggest motor ever flown previously being a D12-5. So I made some progress. Working on my goals for next year.

I was disappointed all the mid and high power rockets at Launch Lab are out of stock.
Yeah? I didn't have the funds to order anything anyways. Seems like most companies have some good deals. I've had to tell myself I'm not buying anymore until I get what I have finished, but its been about 3 months since my last new mail call order or hobby lobby visit. I need something soon, lol.

I get them, make the plans, start the process of the build then they sit for months until I build it. But having a new one gives me something g to think about during glue or paint drying days too. Thats another thing I'm trying to work on, lol. Finishing the ones I have here. I think I enjoy the design and building process as much as flying.

Changed my forum profile picture to an actual picture of myself. It's from the day I got my L1 certification - about 4 weeks ago. Paperwork in hand.

ETA: I started 2023 after 35 years away from the hobby, and the biggest motor ever flown previously being a D12-5. So I made some progress. Working on my goals for next year.
Thats awesome man! I went about 3 weeks ago, I've also been flying low power since 1990. But took a break from it all, had no thoughts to ever build or fly again really. 10 years I had a rough time finding information, and the information I did get was nothing but discouraging. So I just quit.

But as I've posted probably 100 times, was injured in 2012. Decided while I was on workers comp to build a little again. Long story short, bought all a bunch of rockets, motors, build supplies, equipment, etc... Most have sat still in the bags, even a Mega Der Red Max I bought. I bought that, a Leviathan, and 2 Partizons in my feeding frenzy. Still have one Partizon and the Mega to build yet. But even back then up to the last launch in 2013 or so had only ever flown up to the D or E impulse motors. Luckily when I bought that stuff in 2012. I picked up a bunch of motors, from A to G. They sat, still using them today. This May I went to hobby lobby for the first time and grabbed an Alpha III kit, and some motors.

Told myself I wanted to fly high power about a week after that, and started a to look again, well found more than I expected. But, pumped the brakes a little after taking advice on here with my first L1 cert build to go bigger with it. To keep it slow and simple, then joined a few clubs and even went to just watch and learn. But went for my L1 certification flight 11/4/23 and was lucky to get it. But congratulations, I'm sure you feel as I do about this. Its just an absolutely amazing hobby, I really haven't found one to compare.

Waited for the local humidity to drop from 85% to 60% before I epoxied a second layer of 38mm braided Carbon Fibre onto the CF 38mm body tube I rolled last weekend. The single layer, although nice a light, was just a little too flexible for my liking. Used the same Change Climate bio-epoxy applied with a foam roller technique.
Its now turning on the BBQ rotisserie waiting to go off.

My cousin in Houston with whom I launched a few rockets when we were children has been interested in getting back into the hobby, and in introducing his youngest daughter to it. He asked me to keep my eye out for a kit he could fly on a small field on a B motor. He was up in my part of the state today, and when we met up for a late lunch I gave him a few classic Estes kits that fit the bill so he can get restarted.
Looked at one vendor's web site and thought about buying. I didn't notice anything about Black Friday, and didn't get anything I think I'll lok at one or two others.
Bunch of sales listed here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/2023-black-friday-and-surrounding-sales-and-deals.183105/

I was out 35 years myself, back in for about 2.5 years now. By coincidence watched your L1 video on youtube just minutes before checking in here on TRF and seeing this post. Congratulations on the cert!

That's why I've gotten rid of Facebook and Instagram or any other platform.. I just follow subject specific forums like this one. Even Nextdoor got the boot. A plague is putting it lightly

Maybe a plague on you. BUT IMO people most people who express this knee jerk reaction are just trying to tell all of us how they are superior to us 'mental midgets' that actual understand how social media is an amazing way we can keep in contact with 10s of people who love us, 1000s of friends, and millions of people who share one of our passions. Instead they get all upset about ads and the fact they joined groups that are hate bait.

Maybe a plague on you. BUT IMO people most people who express this knee jerk reaction are just trying to tell all of us how they are superior to us 'mental midgets' that actual understand how social media is an amazing way we can keep in contact with 10s of people who love us, 1000s of friends, and millions of people who share one of our passions. Instead they get all upset about ads and the fact they joined groups that are hate bait.
Wasn't a knee jerk reaction and I wasn't the original one who called it a plague just was agreeing with them.. I was commenting about an app, no reason to make it personal..I never said I was superior to anyone where did you get that assumption from?

Last edited:
Looking to start my scratch build apache for my 2.6" nike smoke.. looked for sim files so I can get the fin dimensions. Not sure if ill go 29mm airframe or 38mm. Put together an oder for madcows black Friday sale :)
If you can find a good straight-on photograph I can scale the dimensions in autocad. You could get pretty close from a drawing that Peter Alway posted to the forum recently. For that matter all of the dimensions are in his book.

Here are various photos I have. The first is from an old book I had. The second is someone else's rocket. The third is a photo of the one at White Sands taken over 20 years ago. I couldn't get back far enough to get a good view of the entire rocket.

RAp7.jpgnikeapache.jpgnewmexico2001-007c.jpg

Last edited:
Back