What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanded the big band-aid on the EZI booster enough to take paint, but leaving it visible as a battle scar. Got a couple coats of primer on it, too. The payload section is already done and the nose cone is close enough. Gotta get a couple coats of white on it and hope for the roll pattern.

eIMG_0499.jpg

Also got most of a backbone decal made for the Barracuda, visible above. Working on the nosecone head decal tonight, and still considering what font for the name would fit in with the design. I'm open to suggestions.

This is what I had cut before I considered making other decals for it:

Logo - Alien Res.png

Alternatively, I could make stripes to go under the backbone "ribs", but I'm running out of time for much more on this one before GRITS.

Last edited:
Also got most of a backbone decal made for the Barracuda, visible above. Working on the nosecone head decal tonight, and still considering what font for the name would fit in with the design. I'm open to suggestions.

This is what I had cut before I considered making other decals for it:

View attachment 614424

Alternatively, I could make stripes to go under the backbone "ribs", but I'm running out of time for much more on this one before GRITS.
How about picking a font that looks good when stretched taller and slanted, then spacing and positioning so that each letter is also a rib?

How about picking a font that looks good when stretched taller and slanted, then spacing and positioning so that each letter is also a rib?

Neat idea!

There are 12 ribs/stripes forward of the rail guides and 9 letters. That would leave the name centered nicely. I’m thinking a less futurey font would fit the style better.

A different name could be useful as well.

I am learning to interpret Blue Raven high_rate and low_rate files so I can port the tools I wrote more than 25-years ago for the 16 Hz, 8-bit, 1-DoF AltAcc to a modern system

I just started porting the AltAcc Launch-Detect algorithms for the 500 Hz, 12-bit 6-DoF Blue Raven.

It is coming along, but BOY do I have a lot to learn !

-- kjh

Edit: Blie -> Blue

Last edited:
I laid down the base coat of white on my Vanderburn Leviathan kit.
I love the Leviathan, did you do a build thread on that one? I'd like to see how its bullt. Mine was at that point for about 10 years, and a few months ago had an incident. Fell down the stairs with mine, lol....Ugh. Its not bad but it had to sand it all down again, and have sanded the NC since the 1st picture. It's flown twice like that, maiden was a F42-4T, then F23-4FJ a month or so later. I'm ready for paint now im just not sure what ill do.

Im thinking about cutting the shoulder off and putting a bulkhead/eyelet in. Not that it has issue with ejection but the nosecone by itself isn't heavy enough. It always seem to get tangled around my chute protector/burrito and the chute doesn't open well. I'm thinking a little more NC weight will help pull out that quicklink, chute swivel, etc. Now the nosecone will come out but just flops around the heavier chute protector. I'm working on that before paint though....Very nice!!

Attachments

• 20230714_190713.jpg
    20230714_190713.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230728_140844.jpg
    20230728_140844.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_210057.jpg
    20230719_210057.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lowered myself to look at Facebook where someone recommended 100 feet of shock cord for a 4" diameter 54" long rocket, and he did that back in the day because he could....I think I'm done inter-netting for today.
Well he says the rocket was 4" in diameter and 80" long. Still 100 feet just seems a bit much...But to each his own...

Found this dolly the other day, perfect. That closet behind this work stand(I bought the hobby mat new most was free)is getting cleaned out and replaced with rockets/supplies and or maybe a paint booth with outside ventilation...😆

And learning the correct terms for "Know Nuts November"...

Attachments

• 20231109_104607.jpg
    20231109_104607.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_104742.jpg
    20231109_104742.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108-233733_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108-233733_Facebook.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 0
Well...yesterday. Rounded up parts for a BT-60 size BullPup. 3/32 basswood fins, ttw. Cut on the bandsaw, then match sanded.
Bt is marked for the slots. Tailcone is the same as on the Sprint XL.
24mm MMT.
300# Kevlar for the shock cord mount from the motor tube to top of airframe.
Nosecone is the same as the Estes Patriot. All stuff I had in the stash.
Will upscale the Estes decals and print on waterslide paper.
Just something to do for the winter.
I have an Estes BullPup 12d kit built for 24mm ( it IS a 12d, so...) and fly it a ton.

Attachments

• BT60BullPup.jpg
    BT60BullPup.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Nice rocket and flight @Gastrok !

Belated congratulations !

Smoosh is a cutie !

My dad was an English Setter man.

Will you be training him to find and point at your rockets ?

Thanks for the video !

-- kjh
Thanks.

Sadly Smoosh (Seamus) is no-longer with us. He was a Brittney Spaniel/English Setter mix and the best dog ever. That picture is him when he was a pup.

The Estes SR-71 #1942 reissued marks the 20th year anniversary of the famous Skunk Works reconnaissance aircraft. I walked into my local hobby store back in 2003 and purchased three for just $17.99 each. I built them the same year and flew each one only on C6-5's. This one pictured has endured the most service out of the three with over 45 flights and undergone several upgrades & repairs to remain flyable throughout the years. I Added significant nose weight, the recovery system includes elastic and kevlar shock cord, a nomex heat cloth for heat protection eliminating the need for ejection wadding. The 18" parachute that comes with the kit I replaced with a smaller 15" unit w/ attachment snap swivel.

The 45th flight pays homage to an OOP rocket that I haven't flown in over a decade and continues to bring a smile on my face each and every flight. A rocket that for everything it's been through over the past 2 decades never disappoints and returns back to earth every single time. A rocket I purchased over 20 years ago that would become a favorite in a long fleet of flyers and a highly desired collectable that don't get launched very often. A rocket that unfortunately you can no longer walk into your local hobby store and find on the wall for $17.99 :dontknow:

lift-off-2023-darker.jpg

sr-71-launch-crop-close-up.jpg

blue-sr-71.jpg

landed.jpg

17-99-price.jpg

20230217-095509.jpg

20210916-113322-resized-2.jpg

Flight Video:
https://clipchamp.com/watch/EupRAshHGvW

Last edited:
I love the Leviathan, did you do a build thread on that one? I'd like to see how its bullt. Mine was at that point for about 10 years, and a few months ago had an incident. Fell down the stairs with mine, lol....Ugh. Its not bad but it had to sand it all down again, and have sanded the NC since the 1st picture. It's flown twice like that, maiden was a F42-4T, then F23-4FJ a month or so later. I'm ready for paint now im just not sure what ill do.

Im thinking about cutting the shoulder off and putting a bulkhead/eyelet in. Not that it has issue with ejection but the nosecone by itself isn't heavy enough. It always seem to get tangled around my chute protector/burrito and the chute doesn't open well. I'm thinking a little more NC weight will help pull out that quicklink, chute swivel, etc. Now the nosecone will come out but just flops around the heavier chute protector. I'm working on that before paint though....Very nice!!
No build thread on it, but I did wrap it up today.finished leviathan.jpg

I flew my Astron Elliptic 5 times in my back yard. All 1/2 A. It was a good time, tho got a tree involved at the end.
You have a drone or fishing pole? I used a heavy sinker and there it at it. Or get 1 1/2" pvc pipes and couplers/make one long pole, you could cut the branch too with a saw taped to that....Just some ideas..I used a modified Tee-shirt gun with a tennis balls hooked a wire spool, lol. Pumped it up to 100 psi with a bike pump then shot the ball at it. It almost came down, I think just a cheap grappling hook from Walmart or Amazon would work great too with a longer rope to throw it up and grab the shock cord.

Back