What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent most of the afternoon and much of the morning and evening working on a design to replace the 4x24 rocket I killed on Saturday. Much of this time devolved into CAD-ing various likely and potential parts (which sounds grander than it was, considering all of that was 2D work). That time spent will pay dividends on future designs, but I've less visible progress at day's end than I'd hoped.

Also bought a replacement for one of the three 24/40 cases I lost or destroyed on that ill-fated flight. That will give me enough cases to continue clustering composites with my 3x24 rocket while I work on the replacement. Will see about picking up another case in the sales around Thanksgiving.
I have an XL and it flies a bit higher than I like on a D12. I'm working on a design to use a BT-70 to launch with D12 thinking its ratio of altitude to size will be more like what I like.
BT-70 is a wonderful tube. Light and slim enough to fly well on bigger low-power motors, yet big enough to see throughout a flight, well into mid-power impulse.

Went to the METRA launch and had a blast as usual. I flew my Loc Ariel with a first attempt at dual deploy. The up went great, the down not so good. A switch failure prevented the charges from going off, but my motor backup at least got the drogue out. The rocket lived and will fly again. Needless to say, new style switches will be going in the AV bay. I also flew my Wildman Journey 75, perfect flight. JLCR worked perfect as usual. Great day to end the flying season!

Attachments

• IMG_6091.jpeg
    IMG_6091.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7694.mov
    12.6 MB
I think overly stable is only a problem with horizontal winds are high with respect to rocket vertical velocity, that's my guess anyway.
And your guess is exactly right. Also, it's the horizontal (component of) wind speed relative to the rocket's speed that really matters, so a good punchy motor helps.
I have an XL and it flies a bit higher than I like on a D12. I'm working on a design to use a BT-70 to launch with D12 thinking its ratio of altitude to size will be more like what I like. Well I'll find out anyway.
How does it do on a C11?

[Saturday was] A good day launching. The weather was cold, damp, and overcast... and there was no wind. Lots of very short recovery walks. And thanks to that, I got more rockets in the air than I think I've ever done in a single day nefore. Details later, when I have a full size keyboard in front of my. (I hate typing with my thumbs.)
In my opinion, those are the nicest days to have a launch.
A bit of sun to dry things out, and ten degrees (Fahrenheit) warmer would have been more comfortable, but the sun would have meant wind, so I'll happily take it as it was.

First on the rack was Big Daddy on a Q-Jet D20. More igniter troubles, mostly attributable to other factors, led to removing it from the pad after two attempts. So I tried a BP motor, an E9. Now, I'm aware of the E9's reputation for CATOS, but I've never had one. What I have had is nozzle blow-outs leading to long slow burns and zero thrust. And that's what happened this time. The rocket was too close to the blast deflector, and suffered minor singing on the end of the body tube and the fins' trailing edges (which has not happened in previous events). So minor that they're not worth fixing; it'll just fly as is.

Frustrated and suffering the "Damnit, I'm getting this in the air come hell or high water" variety of go fever led my to load another BP motor, and not another E9. The only thing I had other than -0 engines was a C11-7. I changed the flight card name to Padre Grande just for the heck of it, and loaded it up. Yes, -7 is way too long. "Well," I figured, "it'll either work or it'll lawn dart, and Daddy is a tough old bird, so let's go." That is foolish and irresponsible, and I should not have done it. Lawn dart, no damage.

Second was my FlisKits S.P.A.D. on a C6. Failure to eject, but no damage. This one's fins are thick, good quality balsa, and I had just redone all of its fillets nice and tough. (Why did it need that? There's a story there, but not for this report.) Also, it's nice launching on a soft carpet of grass.

Next up was Frick-n-Frack on C6-0 to A8-3. It took a turn right off the rod, and got pretty low altitude even for a saucer before arcing over and then staging. The second stage powered into the grass. Soft grass, no damage. I think there's something wrong in the construction, as it's done this before. I probably should retire it.

Next was my Red Nova on a D12-5. ("Hey, didn't you say you only had a C11 for Padre Grande?" Yes. I had prepped rockets on Wednesday, and didn't have any D12s left by Saturday.) Perfect flight.

Next up was a kit bash Orion, the upper half of the Quest Terrier-Orion that I have been making into a two stage for a dozen years or so and can't seem to finish. The wadding and streamer wedged each other in the tube, but the nose cone separation provided enough drag for a safe landing.

Then came the Apogee Slo-Mo on a D20. Squirrely and gained less altitude than that rocket ever has before on that motor. Lawn dart, hard. The nose cone was pushed into the payload bay, the payload bay was pushed into the main tube, and the main tube buckled above the motor mount. Inertia caused the rather heavy fin assemblies to be ripped off of the body tube; yes, all three of them. This rocket has been repaired at least half a dozen times, and has now flown its last. R.I.P. Slo-Mo.

My friend invited me to go through his box for another suitable motor for Pater Maximus, and up he went on a D12-5 for my second flawless flight of the day.

Then I went into the hall where we were holding the club potluck to heat up my three gallons of chili.

And your guess is exactly right. Also, it's the horizontal (component of) wind speed relative to the rocket's speed that really matters, so a good punchy motor helps.

How does it do on a C11?
I have not tried a C11 but I think that is a good choice for that size rocket. It is just over the limit of what would work on a C6 but flies reasonably well on a C5.
A lot of the rockets I've built over the past few years have been an evolution of BT60 size rockets. I don't own a Big Bertha but we all know the size. It is relatively light for what it is. I own the Estes Patriot missile which is basically a Big Bertha with slightly pointed nose cone, and a BT60 versions of the Nike Smoke. Both of those fly well on a B6-4. Then I got an Estes ESAM and built it stock. It flies on a B6-4 but it is a real low flight. It flies better on a C6-5 but that flight can be less than straight up depending on the wind and launch rod orientation, IOW there just isn't enough velocity there. The HiFlier XL and other designs such as the Vapor are just slightly bigger than the ESAM. I have an AerobeeHi that I kit bashed from an XL, it will fly reasonably well on a C5-3. I'm not sure why they are heavier but I think the longer nose cones have just enough more mass to cross the line. I can't buy C11 at Hobby Lobby so I have to order those from somewhere, maybe acsupply, but I think they are the lower altitude solution for the heavier BT-60 size rockets.

As for what I did (Sunday) I attended our local club launch, flew 3 rockets, visited with friends, took photos of other launches. Here is my baby bertha on a B6-4.
DSC_0067b.jpg

Last edited:
Last night bit into something and had severe tooth pain, that was at midnight I haven't slept, lol.

Got out of bed this morning and debated going to URRG in NY. But went for my L1 cert flight after leaving a little late about 9am, We got there at noon, I setup. It was a freak flight about 3pm or so, the motor ejected about 2.5 seconds after ignition. I watched the video a few times and thought maybe the NC came out, it didn't. But I had help with drilling the ejection delay in the Aerotech H135W-14A(I got from the best guy named Ted at OneBadHawk.com.), from Larry W.(URRG President), and Dan Michaels for talking to me afterwards a bit.

I'm really impressed the only damage from this was a minor zipper which was tolerable as it can and could have flown again. So, after 33 years of rockets, I'm finally a L1. I said in May within a year I want to have that L1 attempt, so I'm very happy with this outcome. Honestly though, I kind of felt like I didn't deserve it. But after watching the video and seeing it stay together, I earned that much.

I definitely want to have fun with L1. But my goal was if I got certified L1, was L2 by next year this time but probably Spring 2025. I'm gonna build quite a few other 29mm/38mm L1's over the winter. And have fun too next year with that. I definitely want to build a few DD, L1 rockets before my L2. I want that knowledge even though it isn't required of an L2 flight. Now this tooth...

I'll add a YouTube link in a bit. Oh the igniter that came with was a dud, so had to get another one from Larry. Thank you Larry!!!

Congrats on the L1! I had the same thing happen on my L1 flight with the H135W, My wife and I drilled two of them to 8 sec (removed 6sec). Her flight went fine, but mine had only 4 sec of delay. When the chute opened, it dislodged the nose cone from the empty payload bay above .

Congrats on the L1! I had the same thing happen on my L1 flight with the H135W, My wife and I drilled two of them to 8 sec (removed 6sec). Her flight went fine, but mine had only 4 sec of delay. When the chute opened, it dislodged the nose cone from the empty payload bay above .
Yeah!? We drilled it right it was just a freak thing. Even if we messed up it wouldn't have come out that fast. It was just a little over 2 seconds after ignition. Fortunately the overkill on the build was worth it. Dan Michaels talked(After asking him what may have happened)to me for a while and gave me some very info, I was extremely happy for that. It was cool to meet these guys who have inspired me the past few months.

I have not tried a C11 but I think that is a good choice for that size rocket. It is just over the limit of what would work on a C6 but flies reasonably well on a C5.
A lot of the rockets I've built over the past few years have been an evolution of BT60 size rockets. I don't own a Big Bertha but we all know the size. It is relatively light for what it is. I own the Estes Patriot missile which is basically a Big Bertha with slightly pointed nose cone, and a BT60 versions of the Nike Smoke. Both of those fly well on a B6-4. Then I got an Estes ESAM and built it stock. It flies on a B6-4 but it is a real low flight. It flies better on a C6-5 but that flight can be less than straight up depending on the wind and launch rod orientation, IOW there just isn't enough velocity there. The HiFlier XL and other designs such as the Vapor are just slightly bigger than the ESAM. I have an AerobeeHi that I kit bashed from an XL, it will fly reasonably well on a C5-3. I'm not sure why they are heavier but I think the longer nose cones have just enough more mass to cross the line. I can't buy C11 at Hobby Lobby so I have to order those from somewhere, maybe acsupply, but I think they are the lower altitude solution for the heavier BT-60 size rockets.

As for what I did (Sunday) I attended our local club launch, flew 3 rockets, visited with friends, took photos of other launches. Here is my baby bertha on a B6-4.
View attachment 613853
Thats a nice rocket! Maybe I missed it but where did you launch? I've never used a C11 until this year, they are pretty nice motors I'm considering getting a bulk pack.

Thats a nice rocket! Maybe I missed it but where did you launch? I've never used a C11 until this year, they are pretty nice motors I'm considering getting a bulk pack.
I launch with DARS in Dallas.
My idea was to paint that rocket in orange/white similar to the Doorknob but when I got down my white paint it wouldn't spray. Well I figured that Bertha is a girl, so pink is appropriate.

Looked at more URRG pics I took.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-124202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106-124202_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_121322.jpg
    20231105_121322.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_134524.jpg
    20231104_134524.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231105-221958.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231105-221958.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231105-222003.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231105-222003.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231105-222006.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231105-222006.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231105-222009.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231105-222009.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 0
Got a rocket logo redrawn in AutoCAD last night. Trying to figure out how to get the last little bit working. Afraid I might have to also redraw the manufacturer logo, which will be more time and suck. Maybe I'll just leave it out.

ETA: Tried it without the mfr. logo and it looks much better and cleaner. Definitely going that way. Now to start the downscale for cardstock.

Last edited:
I've been in the lookout for a zipper stopper. The Aerotech delay drilling tool has me on the right path. And I'm doing some reading, I'm going to see how much I know now.

Attachments

• 20231106_214152.jpg
    20231106_214152.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231106_214208.jpg
    20231106_214208.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231106_203140.jpg
    20231106_203140.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231106_204233.jpg
    20231106_204233.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 0
Fin decals cut and placed on the Barracuda tonight. The nosecone decal looks like it could be problematic to apply, and I don't think the Sci-Fi style name I have cut will match up style-wise very well. This kind of creativity is not a strength for me. There's bound to be a better font out there, but time may dictate what goes on.

eIMG_0481.jpg

eIMG_0489.jpg

Nose cone decal plan, these will have to be slimified a bit more and adjusted by hand once on the nose. Hopefully, the lines will be thin enough to lay flat:
dd3592e8e78c795a8b32d00e46977439-4045361119 - pair.png

Last edited:
Prepped my Protostar fins with lacquer sanding/sealer, filled the spirals in the body tube and worked on the fin pods. Built stock, the bottom of the pods are open, but I remembered I had saved a few of the "safety seals" that came on the milk cartons we were getting at that time. They are about .75' in diameter and have an interesting design molded in that I thought would look good somewhere on a rocket. They fit almost perfectly into pods, and I think will look good on this rocket.

Protostar 1.jpg Protostar 2.jpg

Cut off the launch lugs on the Dredd-nought and replaced them with standard 1010 rail buttons in readiness for the November QRS launch day this weekend.

I'm going to use this veteran rocket as the test flight of my last JLCR after it passed all its ground tests and simulated launches the other week. This will be the 17th G motor flight for this one. It's had few episodes in its time and its been rebuilt/repaired, so maybe it should have been called "Trigger's Broom"!

Anyhoo, I'll fly it on a Pro24 6G G motor to approx. 1800ft and then fingers crossed for the JLCR to do its thing at 500ft.

1699351697169.png

Assembled a two pack of old Econojet F20-4 LMS motors.
1107230148[1].jpg
Leaving this to cure upright overnight.
IIRC price back then was a little less than the SU counterpart.
Browsed through a couple of rocket motor vendors websites online.
Wondered why the current prices of LMS motors are actually a couple of bucks HIGHER than the price of their single use counterparts.
If you are assembling a motor and using your time and labor and your own epoxy shouldn't it cost LESS than the assembled single use counterpart?
Why pay a higher price for a motor you have to assemble versus one that's already assembled?
There's no incentive to do that, right?
:questions:

Assembled a two pack of old Econojet F20-4 LMS motors.
View attachment 614019
Leaving this to cure upright overnight.
IIRC price back then was a little less than the SU counterpart.
Browsed through a couple of rocket motor vendors websites online.
Wondered why the current prices of LMS motors are actually a couple of bucks HIGHER than the price of their single use counterparts.
If you are assembling a motor and using your time and labor and your own epoxy shouldn't it cost LESS than the assembled single use counterpart?
Why pay a higher price for a motor you have to assemble versus one that's already assembled?
There's no incentive to do that, right?
:questions:

Like anything else, the kit version should cost less than the assembled one.
Nowadays things are all screwy after Covid with supply disruptions, shortages and inflation, so it's suddenly possible for LMS & RMS kits to sell more than assembled SU motors.

Back