What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy and I had a long overdue build party. We glued some stuff, shot the crossbow, glued some stuff, did some reloading stuff, glued some stuff, prepped some sugar motor stuff, glued a little, talked some smack…overall an outstanding buddy day!

Attachments

• 988E6095-4CD5-461E-AC80-F2FE436F6A6B.jpeg
    988E6095-4CD5-461E-AC80-F2FE436F6A6B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
The Goblin got it's filled body spirals sanded, the end of the rube slit for the fin install, and the nose cone roughed up for paint adherence yesterday. Today the fins were sanded and tacked into place. Then internal fillets were complete and the 38mm adapter was finished. I prefer the Apogee rail buttons with the t-nut style backing over what came with the kit so I need to wait till Monday or Tuesday for my resupply to arrive.

Goblin_021123.JPGGoblin_021123-2.JPG

QRS Launch day at Cedar Grove, Queensland!

Small turnout due to the heat. Fortunately we were able to decide we're done by 11:00am when it was just 33degreesC.

Perfect flying conditions. Got two launches in on The Dart. First one was on a CTI Pro38 1G 150G50 IM with a super straight ascent setting a new personal best on this rocket - 3256ft recorded on the Micropeak altimeter. Unfortunately the JLCR didn't hold the chute which opened at apogee, but due to the light winds it wasn't a drama getting it back for a second flight.

QRS Launch day at Cedar Grove, Queensland!

Small turnout due to the heat. Fortunately we were able to decide we're done by 11:00am when it was just 33degreesC.

Perfect flying conditions. Got two launches in on The Dart. First one was on a CTI Pro38 1G 150G50 IM with a super straight ascent setting a new personal best on this rocket - 3256ft recorded on the Micropeak altimeter. Unfortunately the JLCR didn't hold the chute which opened at apogee, but due to the light winds it wasn't a drama getting it back for a second flight.
At Richard Bong State Park, USA, it as a balmy 3.33333c

Bored some holes in some jig struts. Accuracy needed to be as good as I could get. I remembered, very quickly, why I don't like working in sub-10micron tolerances.

I had to add the holes in the middle of the struts. Left three are my holes, other two are as purchased. They are also cross-drilled at the same location.
Struts.jpg

Did a quick build of an Estes Maniac to fly next week at CATO on D12-5s. I hope to get two flights of this rocket in as the winds are predicted to be 10-15MPH.

View attachment 562751
Purchased motors from Wildman. Hey, buy now. The new guy is still learning. Sold me all this for $3.95. Heheheheheheh
You're off a few decimal places there... time for a rest in an air-conditioned room, drink some Gatorade and eat a banana. ;)

Bored some holes in some jig struts. Accuracy needed to be as good as I could get. I remembered, very quickly, why I don't like working in sub-10micron tolerances.
OK Cool. Good job, well done and all that. What're they for?

time for a rest in an air-conditioned room, drink some Gatorade and eat a banana. ;)
OK, I am really missing something. What is so funny about treatment for dehydration and overheating? And what was that about a funny bath? :questions:!

OK, I am really missing something. What is so funny about treatment for dehydration and overheating? And what was that about a funny bath? :questions:!
Apologies! It wasn't meant to make light of your episode of heat induced strange thoughts (Note that I had recounted my own situation before that which was more serious, yet I can laugh aboutit now), but I was referring to another poster's funny reply:
Screenshot_20230212_093218_Chrome.jpg
and using it in the sense of someone saying they got a bunch of new hp reloads for $3.95.

Note that I provided my own life threatening experiences with hot and cold as well as gave multiple warnings that either can kill you.

Still, you gotta remember who I am...
Screenshot_20230212_094129_Google.jpg

Received some parts for a couple of scratch builds I've been planning as well as a couple more kits to work on while glue and paint dry.

Apologies! It wasn't meant to make light of your episode of heat induced strange thoughts (Note that I had recounted my own situation before that which was more serious, yet I can laugh aboutit now), but I was referring to another poster's funny reply:
View attachment 562821
and using it in the sense of someone saying they got a bunch of new hp reloads for $3.95.

Note that I provided my own life threatening experiences with hot and cold as well as gave multiple warnings that either can kill you.

Still, you gotta remember who I am...
View attachment 562822
I'm not offended in the least, didn't think you were making light of my experience or of me or of anything. What I am is genuinely confused.
Did they have strange baths at the first aid station? 🤔
Why would they? Why was this funny? Why has this led to the treatment regimen becoming a meme? Mongo not understand.

I'm not offended in the least, didn't think you were making light of my experience or of me or of anything. What I am is genuinely confused.

Why would they? Why was this funny? Why has this led to the treatment regimen becoming a meme? Mongo not understand.
Screenshot_20230212_114058_Google.jpg
😆

I thought it was a subtle joke and any inclusion of bananas are usually comedic to jokers like me.

Example:

Yesterday.... Attended a launch held by Tripoli 002. Forecast called for 40F and 10mph winds.
Forgot my jacket when packing the car. Weather people lied (no big surprise), wind was 15mph, wind chill 34F.....

Decided too cold and windy for me. Gave some $ to the onsite motor vendor & moved the car so I could at least watch in comfort.

Sun peaked out about noon & wind died down so I dug everything out of the car. Carried 2x upscale BBZ to the pad and tried to insert the igniter. Long story short...... G40 SU (Estes label) had swollen shut. (2 of them!)

Got frustrated and just packed up, watched a little longer and "enjoyed" the 4 1/2 hour drive home.
Long day, but a day away from the house.

Pics or it didn't happen! 😆

Actually, that is something that interests me, so pics would be cool. :)
This is a transition for a PML MR-1 rocket now OOP. With my trouble of trying to hold a pencil and holding the ruler down to the paper without it sliding around (since I have very little strength in my hands ) ,I found out how tough it is to do the drawing. I used a sharp pencil with a nice white eraser on the tip, so there's lots of erasing that went on here. I used my grid paper from 1980. Each block is 1/8"
0FT93f9.jpg

NnYfbnk.jpg

This is a transition for a PML MR-1 rocket now OOP. With my trouble of trying to hold a pencil and holding the ruler down to the paper without it sliding around (since I have very little strength in my hands ) ,I found out how tough it is to do the drawing. I used a sharp pencil with a nice white eraser on the tip, so there's lots of erasing that went on here. I used my grid paper from 1980. Each block is 1/8"
NnYfbnk.jpg
Dang, that's fantastic drawing!
I've kicked myself for not picking up the MR-1 when I had the chance years back. I had a order ready, but I figured I'd wait for some Black Friday deal, however that never happened. very cool rocket!

BTW - Sone rulers have cork backing to prevent sliding. You can also try lightly applying some rubberized coating/ plastic dip or even CA'ing two strips of cut rubber bands to either end of the ruler. Easiest would probably be to find those tiny rubber bands (used for braces or rubber band bracelet looms years back) and just slip a few over.

Dang, that's fantastic drawing!
I've kicked myself for not picking up the MR-1 when I had the chance years back. I had a order ready, but I figured I'd wait for some Black Friday deal, however that never happened. very cool rocket!

BTW - Sone rulers have cork backing to prevent sliding. You can also try lightly applying some rubberized coating/ plastic dip or even CA'ing two strips of cut rubber bands to either end of the ruler. Easiest would probably be to find those tiny rubber bands (used for braces or rubber band bracelet looms years back) and just slip a few over.
DUH I never thought about doing that.🤔

DUH I never thought about doing that.🤔
If you would like some, just PM me your address. I have a ton of them (in your choice of colors lol) because I found them on clearance at Walmart and picked up a few for about $2.
20230212_135241.jpg
I sometimes use them to bundle sections of shock cord in midpower rockets in place of masking tape loops.

If you would like some, just PM me your address. I have a ton of them (in your choice of colors lol) because I found them on clearance at Walmart and picked up a few for about $2.
View attachment 562880
I sometimes use them to bundle sections of shock cord in midpower rockets in place of masking tape loops.
Also have an Estes Hyper X rocket that has a nose cone with three helicopter blades on it, and they require these small rubber bands to spring open the blades. Someone on here showed me a package of small rubber bands that are the ones that are supposed to be used with that rocket kit. I wonder if these are the same ones?

Also have an Estes Hyper X rocket that has a nose cone with three helicopter blades on it, and they require these small rubber bands to spring open the blades. Someone on here showed me a package of small rubber bands that are the ones that are supposed to be used with that rocket kit. I wonder if these are the same ones?
I'm not sure.

However, I have an Estes "Cosmic Cobra" that has a three bladed nose cone as well.

I dug it out and the stock rubber bands look longer, however I'm not sure how much of that is from being stored in a stretched position (DUH).
20230212_155847.jpg
For my case, I believe it works (maybe even better).

Last edited:
Here goes my list so far today...

I finished touching up my F-104 canopy. Next will be clear coat when the weather is nice.
20230212_154924.jpg

Then I started fixing my years old "Albatross" Canadian Arrow rocket that had really messed up papered fins, shrunken body tube areas around the CRs and really bad drippy paint. Sanding to follow.
20230212_152145.jpg

Last night I had finished sanding the other half of my Madcow 4" Phoenix and today I applied a first coat of paint to that half.
20230212_134524.jpg
Final filling and sanding next. I also sanded and filled the nose cone.

Sat down and built a rocket in open rocket to use those F16 /F15 BP motors I got years ago that may CATO.
Expendable seemed an appropriate name. If it lives, it can use the F12 reloads I have as well.

Need to also put one together for the remaining E9s I have. I believe that one will be called Red Shirt.

Attachments

• Expendable.ork
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure.

However, I have an Estes "Cosmic Cobra" that has a three bladed nose cone as well.

I dug it out and the stock rubber bands look longer, however I'm not sure hom much of that is from being stored in a stretched position (DUH).
View attachment 562897
For my case, I believe it works (maybe even better).
ok, I can try 8 or 9 should be plenty, sending you a PM

Back