What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockwell JawStand 1.0 was an almost self contained pad with tools, stakes, standoffs, and rod jaw always attached. Simply throw it in the back of the vehicle. The rod was a 7' rod made of a 2' section and a 5' section. The rail was held against a 2x4 by hose clamps. The clamps also held the 2x4 quite securely in the jaws. More so than the small square in the jaw stand's own clamp.

So here is 1.0

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Not bad. It worked just fine. And it required no real work to setup. Insert the rail and tighten the hose clamps. However much of the 2' (55cm) section of rail was wasted being held by the hose clamps. Leaving 5 or so feet (1,5m) of rail.

While I was in the hospital awaiting test results, I re-read the Jaw Stand thread here on TRF and got inspired by it.

Enter TNUTZ.com

IMG_2196.JPG

Jaw Stand 2.0 sports a new 3' (1m) rail slid into the vertical sections of those brackets and tightened down. The brackets are never removed. And for the most part the 3' section will stay put as well. The 1.5m (5') 1010 rail section slides into these two attachment plates. The plates stay with the 3' section.

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

So now there is an 8' (2,5m) rail. The CG is lower with a rocket loaded. But it still breaks down in a few minutes. Loosening 4 screws removes the 5' section, and if I want, loosening 4 more removes or slides down the 3' section.

Not a problem. Be advised it ships in 2 cartons.
I've had to chuck mine at the back of the build pile while I slog through an L3 project.
Cheers
Thanks for the heads up. Figures... the tube and instructions show up today. The rest? Now Monday. :(

After a week or two doing no rocket stuff, finally put some time in on "Fluster Cluck" - a 24mm cluster scratch build. Finally received an order for an Estes BT80 nose cone, so I've started to cut it to make the transition between the fin can and the upper 38mm body.

Did this while prepping for tomorrows QRS launch day. Its gonna be a hot one as getting to 38degreesC! 🥵

Transition start.jpg

Did this while prepping for tomorrows QRS launch day. Its gonna be a hot one as getting to 38degreesC! 🥵
Commiserations from a Texan who speaks Celcius and knows the pains of a similar summer launch climate. 😐 Good luck, and I hope you have a lovely launch in spite of the heat.

Commiserations from a Texan who speaks Celcius and knows the pains of a similar summer launch climate. 😐 Good luck, and I hope you have a lovely launch in spite of the heat.

So which is worse, heat or cold?

I was born in west Texas*. My great-grandfather once said, "There ain't nuthin' 'tween west Texas an' the North Pole 'cept a 5 strand barb wire fence, and it's a saggin'". Some of the most miserable weather, extremes in temperature I've experienced, were around Abilene. Here (central Okla.) can almost be as bad, with the bonus of earthquakes.

* as opposed to West, Texas, a town a little south of Ft. Worth.

cut out the chute and tried to apply those adhesive discs but they are too old so I had to use Scotch tape over them for the Solar Explorer, this was one cheaply put together kit. It will be my last Custom brand of rocket

Both are bad and both can kill you if you're not careful.

Preference wise, I prefer hot over cold.

I grew up in a NY City slum apartment which at times in the winter would have no heat or no hot water or both. To this day I hate cold toilet seats 😆

I've also worked one summer at a NYC power plant where at one point I had to work over the boilers in 120F/49C temps. Rules were at that temp, you work 15 minutes and then take an air conditioned break for 45 minutes. I made the mistake of wearing a gold necklace the first day and when I bent down to pick up something it absorbed the radiant heat so when I got up it burned my chest. I actually enjoyed that work. :p

I've also done marathon training and long runs in extreme heat and extreme cold and I think I still prefer heat over cold.

BTW- I'll be looking for a second home in Florida end of this month. :)

I was born in west Texas*. My great-grandfather once said, "There ain't nuthin' 'tween west Texas an' the North Pole 'cept a 5 strand barb wire fence, and it's a saggin'". Some of the most miserable weather, extremes in temperature I've experienced, were around Abilene. Here (central Okla.) can almost be as bad, with the bonus of earthquakes.

* as opposed to West, Texas, a town a little south of Ft. Worth.
My father picked up the same saying in Amarillo back in the forties.

When I have the right layers to hand, I prefer the cold, since I can always put on another layer in the cold, but I can't peel off my skin in the heat. However about twenty years ago I developed a condition that cuts off circulation in my fingers when they get cold, so I have to take a ton of precautions when working outside in the cold.

I forgot to take handwarmers to a recent launch and when the weather turned sharply colder on the second day was left unable to use my hands - even under two layers of gloves (albeit light ones) for more than a minute or two at a time before having to seek warmth in my truck. On that day I certainly would have preferred the heat.

Depends. Normally, in cold, you can put on more layers, but there's only so much you can take off in heat. On the other hand, if you're not prepared, cold will kill you faster.

Preference wise, I prefer hot over cold... BTW- I'll be looking for a second home in Florida end of this month.
Cold for me. If I ever again own a second home it will be in the mountains somewhere.

However about twenty years ago I developed a condition that cuts off circulation in my fingers when they get cold, so I have to take a ton of precautions when working outside in the cold.

I forgot to take handwarmers to a recent launch and when the weather turned sharply colder on the second day was left unable to use my hands - even under two layers of gloves (albeit light ones) for more than a minute or two at a time before having to seek warmth in my truck. On that day I certainly would have preferred the heat.
My hands have the same issue when cold as well. I believe it's Reynauds or something like it. When cold, the circulation stops and it isn't just unpleasant, it hurts. Also the finger tips harden, peel and split (hard to describe the torture of having your thumb tips repeatedly splitting... and we use our thumbs a LOT).

I used to use this handwarmer packets, but now use electric rechargeable ones that also serve as cell phone power packs... SO nice and warms up fast.

My hands have the same issue when cold as well. I believe it's Reynauds or something like it. When cold, the circulation stops and it isn't just unpleasant, it hurts. Also the finger tips harden, peel and split (hard to describe the torture of having your thumb tips repeatedly splitting... and we use our thumbs a LOT).

I used to use this handwarmer packets, but now use electric rechargeable ones that also serve as cell phone power packs... SO nice and warms up fast.
Yes, Reynaud's phenomenon. Fortunately, the form I have is primary, not associated with any other condition. Still, a massive inconvenience at times. I will have to check out those electric handwarmers. I should also look into electric gloves I suppose.

Preference wise, I prefer hot over cold.

I grew up in a NY City slum apartment which at times in the winter would have no heat or no hot water or both. To this day I hate cold toilet seats 😆

I've also worked one summer at a NYC power plant where at one point I had to work over the boilers in 120F/49C temps. Rules were at that temp, you work 15 minutes and then take an air conditioned break for 45 minutes. I made the mistake of wearing a gold necklace the first day and when I bent down to pick up something it absorbed the radiant heat so when I got up it burned my chest. I actually enjoyed that work. :p

I've also done marathon training and long runs in extreme heat and extreme cold and I think I still prefer heat over cold.

BTW- I'll be looking for a second home in Florida end of this month. :)
Embarassingly I've also had close brushes with danger from both hot and cold.

Once as a kid in that slum apartment in the winter, I got tired after weeks of not having hot water for a bath (shower was broken). So I filled up the tub with just cold water. I got in to a shock (of course!), but suddenly I started feeling euphoria... then I snapped out of it and got out quickly. No one else was home at the time.

Then another time I went out running in 96F/36C weather without water (was "only" 5 miles ;) ). On the way back, I suddenly got delirious and started to seriously consider pulling up the weeds along the road and sucking on them for juice. 😆 I then snapped out if it and walked back.

I've also run a marathon in Florida at 85F/29C and had to slow down after people around me started dropping due to heat exhaustion. Wasn't pretty passing through the medical area on my way to get water.

Yes, Reynaud's phenomenon. Fortunately, the form I have is primary, not associated with any other condition. Still, a massive inconvenience at times. I will have to check out those electric handwarmers. I should also look into electric gloves I suppose.
My wife once got me electric gloves and they weren't cheap at ~$100. After 1 or 2 seasons they stopped working. :mad:

Best thing about the Rechargeable hand warmers is that you have a battery backup to charge your cell phone or JLCR, etc. :D

Then another time I went out running in 96F/36C weather without water (was "only" 5 miles ;) ). On the way back, I suddenly got delirious and started to seriously consider pulling up the weeds along the road and sucking on them for juice. 😆 I then snapped out if it and walked back.
Many years ago at an outdoor music festival (Clearwater) on a day I didn't even realize was beyond hot and into very hot, I started to think it seemed like a good idea to climb into the big ice chest that one of the vendors had.
1676148293739.png
And even though I knew I shouldn't do that, and I didn't do that, I still didn't understand what was happening to me until someone else told me I ought to go the first aid station for a rest in air conditioning, some Gatorade, and a banana.

1676164337041.png
Discloser: not mine.
Look to the right of the picture. The thing that looks like a rocket, isnt. Im not sure what it is. Just to the left of it, with what looks like a disk with a candle stick on it, IS the rocket.
1676164478766.png

Back