What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night, I used JB Weld to epoxy on the AeroPack 38mm retainer to my LOC Nuke Pro Maxx. I bought the 38L version and it was a VERY tight fit! I did a test-fit and had to get my BIL to help me pull it off the motor mount. Was tempted to not even worry about the JB Weld, but decided it was probably for the best to use it.

Just finished putting the first fin on that rocket and am doing some shopping for the Freedom Launch in September.

Got my 1/5 scale-ish Sandia Dualhawk in the air. H175 to F31. Keeping it low because the wind direction was bad. Proton says 1741’.
View attachment 529145

Charles, I got good staging pics...give me time to get them off the camera.

I had a crap day. First flight was the 3" Goblin on a G53, CR at 400'. Perfect. Then "Expendable" lived up to its name. 2" dia, 45" or so. F52C to about 1800' CR at 300' but it got pushed hard while in freefall. Searched the rest of the day for it and never found it. Has the JLCR, Astrocam and Estes altimeter on it. Watched it come down just over the trees to the north but still couldn't find it. Will probably look more tomorrow.

Charles, I got good staging pics...give me time to get them off the camera.

I had a crap day. First flight was the 3" Goblin on a G53, CR at 400'. Perfect. Then "Expendable" lived up to its name. 2" dia, 45" or so. F52C to about 1800' CR at 300' but it got pushed hard while in freefall. Searched the rest of the day for it and never found it. Has the JLCR, Astrocam and Estes altimeter on it. Watched it come down just over the trees to the north but still couldn't find it. Will probably look more tomorrow.
I think the photos are great.

I’m sorry for your missing rocket. The grass on the other side of the tree line is surprisingly tall in spots. I fly with some kind of tracking on anything over about 1000’. Even just a beeper with directional mic on the ground.

I think the photos are great.

I’m sorry for your missing rocket. The grass on the other side of the tree line is surprisingly tall in spots. I fly with some kind of tracking on anything over about 1000’. Even just a beeper with directional mic on the ground.

Thanks! That was a fun flight to watch.

I stupidly didn't put a screamer in it and I think I got more altitude than I expected too (and it definitely didn't turn into the wind at all). My son snapped pics as it was dropping and I got a glimpse of parachute and from what I can tell, it's probably very near the road or over it; further out than I thought. Could be in that tall nasty crap too; which I spent plenty of time in, but perhaps not enough. At least now I can probably get closer; go there tomorrow, line up the bearing on a compass and march to it (I hope).

I will never use another neon green parachute in the summer :)

Attachments

• IMG_4474_cir.JPG
    IMG_4474_cir.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks! That was a fun flight to watch.

I stupidly didn't put a screamer in it and I think I got more altitude than I expected too (and it definitely didn't turn into the wind at all). My son snapped pics as it was dropping and I got a glimpse of parachute and from what I can tell, it's probably very near the road or over it; further out than I thought. Could be in that tall nasty crap too; which I spent plenty of time in, but perhaps not enough. At least now I can probably get closer; go there tomorrow, line up the bearing on a compass and march to it (I hope).

I will never use another neon green parachute in the summer :)
Yeah, some colors go better against snow.

I recovered a couple of rockets from over by the road, and the far side on occasion.

I was inspired by an earlier thread by @lakeroadster seeking to identify the M1147 Tank AMP Round (I think the thread was taken down). Garnered some better details and measurements from a pictured captured from a video...

1658625563409.png

Anyway, designed and 3D printed parts last night and CNC milled fins this morning for my version 1.0 (version 2.0 is already printing). BT-80 + BT-50 model w/ plywood fins. Decided to make the fins fold on this model but not sure if I will make them spring / rubber-band loaded or if I will just fold them out for launch (I doubt I will do a tube launch).

1658625047220.png

p.s., in mock-up below I did not cut the BT-50 tube to length.

1658624745545.png
1658624860624.png

Simulated in OR and it looks like it will fly well on anything from a C5-3 to an E12-6.

1658625468392.png

Got one Tin Tin rocket fin glassed and out of the bag, so while I was on a roll, I thought I'd get another one done!

Second one will take longer to cure as the evening chills from 20degrees C down to about 15degrees C in the next 3 hours or so. Will put a heat lamp on it if it drags on too long.

Using neon-yellow rip-stop as my "poor man's peel-ply" again, and it worked perfectly fine when removing it at the F/glass leather-like stage. The wadding from the recycling shop soaked up the excess epoxy bleeding through the rip-stop and didn't stick at all to the inside of the vac bag. Re-using the vac bag for all three fins.

Second fin being glassed.jpg

Wow, amazing photos. What camera are you using? Any tips for novices?

Canon 80D. High shutter speed, AI servo with a group of focus points. Burst mode and turn off any lens stabilization. Practice, practice.

In other news, I found my lost rocket just now!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_103827650_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_103827650_HDR.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 0
Hurray!!

Dig, I'm afraid I've lost track of your name. Didn't put a tracker on it, I guess. If I post those photos elsewhere, whom should I credit?

Back