What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a "happy dance" after getting this in the mail today.
Having worked on 'em at China Lake, I gotta say that the gentleman that printed the "short kit", showed excellent attention to detail (KN Aeronautics on eBay).
And I had a piece of Madcow 38mm G12 tubing that was a perfect fit and a glass piston, and other parts left over from a 38mm research vehicle that now have a new lease on life.

View attachment 528679
Mine's in the mail, I'm excited for it. Just going to use LOC tube because I have some already. What's your rail guide plan? Have you checked a sim for the amount of nose weight you're going to need?

Mine's in the mail, I'm excited for it. Just going to use LOC tube because I have some already. What's your rail guide plan? Have you checked a sim for the amount of nose weight you're going to need?
Here's a "glue-in" shockcord anchor that came out of the research vehicle I mentioned... think I got it from Giant Leap, maybe 15 years ago. Where ever it ends up, I'll most likely drill and tap it for either 10-10 or "mini buttons". The minis would look better, but since it probably end up flying on a small "H" (unless I come to my senses, first), I'll probably go with 10-10s.
The aft section appears hollow, so where ever the aft button goes, I'll probably inject with JB Weld or thickened West System, and then drill and tap there.
The instructions say the CG should be at the mid point of the 22" body tube +/- 1.5". The forward section of the kit is two parts, the back half with a shockcord attachment point and the front half removable, allowing one to adjust ballast. I'll just adjust for the motor.
It's pretty "trick".

1658355228291.png

Having worked on 'em at China Lake, I gotta say that the gentleman that printed the "short kit", showed excellent attention to detail (KN Aeronautics on eBay).
And I had a piece of Madcow 38mm G12 tubing that was a perfect fit and a glass piston, and other parts left over from a 38mm research vehicle that now have a new lease on life.

View attachment 528679

Nice! I just got a large nosecone from KN Aeronautics and it's awesome. Fits the LOC 3.9 tube perfectly has a nice beefy pass through for the shock cord and he adjusted the print so I can get weight in the nose.

Here's a "glue-in" shockcord anchor that came out of the research vehicle I mentioned... think I got it from Giant Leap, maybe 15 years ago. Where ever it ends up, I'll most likely drill and tap it for either 10-10 or "mini buttons". The minis would look better, but since it probably end up flying on a small "H" (unless I come to my senses, first), I'll probably go with 10-10s.
The aft section appears hollow, so where ever the aft button goes, I'll probably inject with JB Weld or thickened West System, and then drill and tap there.
The instructions say the CG should be at the mid point of the 22" body tube +/- 1.5". The forward section of the kit is two parts, the back half with a shockcord attachment point and the front half removable, allowing one to adjust ballast. I'll just adjust for the motor.
It's pretty "trick".

I've used one of those GLR anchors before on a MD rocket. I guess I'll see if there's some way to anchor kevlar near the aft end without one. I'm planning on 3D printing some rail guides, perhaps with a standoff, that will just glue on the outside. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 528679
China Lake is not far us from in straight line distance. About 50 miles. When ever something large goes boom it rattles my garage doors.

Last edited:
Changed my recovery packing in my Flying Pumpkin  again. My challenge is fitting everything in safely around an AT 38/1080 case that extends almost to the end of the airframe. I'm using a kevlar harness because it makes packing simpler vs the nylon that has to be protected. The Rocketman 8 chute is wrapped long and skinny in a nomex blanket and then loosely curled around the long motor casing. Can I ground test motor deploy by putting BP in the charge well of an otherwise-empty motor case? Seems like I need something in there so the gases go up and not out the back.

Finished my Klima Andromeda assembly minus rail lugs that I need to 3D print.

PXL_20220721_035513378.jpgPXL_20220721_035521357.jpg

Dang! That eye bolt looks like it came off a boat. An old boat.

China Lake is not far from in straight line distance. When ever something large goes boom it rattles my garage doors.
By "goes boom", I'm guessing you mean generates a sizable shock wave by significantly exceeding the speed of sound. Or do yo mean blowing up?

Can I ground test motor deploy by putting BP in the charge well of an otherwise-empty motor case? Seems like I need something in there so the gases go up and not out the back.
Based on absolutely zero experience, I would put a couple of centering rings on a dowel (so really small ID, not like they're meant for motor a mount, really bulk plates with holes) with a charge holder on one end. Call it a "motor ejection simulator".

Thank you for your note. I hadn’t thought about putting a throwaway tube on the inside and will give that a try next time. What I did this time was drill a pilot hole with a very sharp small bit and then use the drywall bit to move sideways along the line. They do leave a lot of rough stuff. The first time I did it I used some sandpaper to eliminate most of it. But since I plan to use Epoxy on the fins with yellow glue fillets I’ve come to think that some of the roughness will actually improve adhesion and will not show through the adhesive. As this is my first design after using the free rocket software I have to say that I am having a blast. I have a woodworking shop in the basement and have spent years modeling airplanes and cars so I have all the tools needed to really enjoy what I’m doing now. Thanks guys
👍

China Lake is not far from in straight line distance. When ever something large goes boom it rattles my garage doors.
You pretty much sit right on the Edwards AFB/China Lake - Nellis AFB - Dugway corridor. I'm sure it isn't ordnance testing at CL... there's at least three mountain ranges between you and them. CL's pretty cautious... they don't like replacing windows in Ridgecrest/Inyokern.

MMT, fins and foam baybee. Finally starting my first little 2 stage build. LOC Terrier with the Zeus on top. This'll be a bucket of fun

Attachments

• PXL_20220721_185901730.jpg
    PXL_20220721_185901730.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220721_154614.jpg
    IMG_20220721_154614.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220721_154611.jpg
    IMG_20220721_154611.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220721_154623.jpg
    IMG_20220721_154623.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220721_154624.jpg
    IMG_20220721_154624.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220721_185929344.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220721_185929344.MP.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220721_185839037.jpg
    PXL_20220721_185839037.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220721_185843668.jpg
    PXL_20220721_185843668.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
Some stickershock stuff showed up today. Decals for a 2.6", 4" and 5.5" Patriot. I'm trying to get one in most standard sizes. I have the Estes standard 1.6", LOC 2.6", 4", 5.5" and 7.5" I need to build a 2.2" and 3" but those would be scratch. The 4", 5.5" and 7.5" are all dual deploy.

While visiting cape cod with my family the last few days I notice a store while touring around…… welll look right there a Hobby Lobby lol now I have to stop in to make sure Iam not missing anything lol.
Grabbed some goodies why not right
EE8777D0-7E80-46A0-BD02-1B440729BA32.jpeg

Finished some painting on the micro series scratch builds (18mm).

- Goblin (BT20)
- MR-1 (BT20/50)
- BOMARC (BT20)
- Black Brant II (BT50)
- NORAD (BT20/50)
- Goblin (BT50)
- Minie Magg (BT50)

View attachment 529032
That BT50 Minie Magg is adorable! I already thought the 2.6" Nano Magg was cute compared to the bigger versions.

I'm still going through all the boxes of stuff that I brought from the garage that I'm not going to have anymore and put all of the rocket stuff up on some shelving in the closet in my new man cave / stereo room. Then put my rocket launch box down in the bottom of the closet that just fit after my wife cleared it out. I also cut the three quarter inch thick foam core board down to where I can take the wooden dowels that I had on the long shelf in the garage and I will put the dowels on the foam board and put that on top of the 8 ft board that is now on top of my big tanker desk. giving up the garage and moving everything into the condo has been a big challenge and always takes so long now that I'm disabled.

While visiting cape cod with my family the last few days I notice a store while touring around…… welll look right there a Hobby Lobby lol now I have to stop in to make sure Iam not missing anything lol.
Grabbed some goodies why not right
View attachment 528861
Hey Adam, Cape Cod is a nice place. I would have done the same thing. A good bunch of goodies you have to bring home. Happy building and flying. Im getting things together for tomorrows launch day in Quinby Virginia with Rocketeer L3 AntaresJS. Will get some uploades for the Forum.

Attachments

• DSCF5065.JPG
    DSCF5065.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
You pretty much sit right on the Edwards AFB/China Lake - Nellis AFB - Dugway corridor. I'm sure it isn't ordnance testing at CL... there's at least three mountain ranges between you and them. CL's pretty cautious... they don't like replacing windows in Ridgecrest/Inyokern.
That's the direction the sound comes from. I suppose I could be hearing something from the Nellis Range Complex bouncing of the small mountains to the west. There only 5-6 miles away, the mountains that is. My garage doors face west. Does CL ever have something like B-52's, B-1's, B-2's. I have heard what sounds like a lot of bombs going off one right after the other more than once. And not during Red Flag. The closest point of the Range is about 30 to 40 miles away. Now that I think about it. The sound could be coming from the range at Point Bravo. That's where the hold/held the firepower demonstration. There is only one mountain range between there and here.

Dang! That eye bolt looks like it came off a boat. An old boat.

By "goes boom", I'm guessing you mean generates a sizable shock wave by significantly exceeding the speed of sound. Or do yo mean blowing up?

Based on absolutely zero experience, I would put a couple of centering rings on a dowel (so really small ID, not like they're meant for motor a mount, really bulk plates with holes) with a charge holder on one end. Call it a "motor ejection simulator".
Both. Big bada boom. Name that movie.

View attachment 528679
When were you in China Lake? I wrote a tech manual for the Army up there ( go figure, your tax dollars at work. thx.!) Please don't tell me Trona has high rise apartments now.

Got ready for glassing the first of the three fin-pods for the Tin Tin project. I'm using four pieces of 200gsm glass cloth for this first fin.
Plan is, for each side, to give it min two layers across the full span, with a third layer from the fin root out to about mid span, and a small third layer across the pod/fin root fillet.

Had to take the hardtop off the workbench and put it back onto the MX5 to create the space.

Fin Glassing pic2.jpg

Hey Adam, Cape Cod is a nice place. I would have done the same thing. A good bunch of goodies you have to bring home. Happy building and flying. Im getting things together for tomorrows launch day in Quinby Virginia with Rocketeer L3 AntaresJS. Will get some uploades for the Forum.
Absolutely
Enjoy your launch definitely share photos
Good luck 👍🏼

Back