What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recreated a main fin for my crashed late last fall The Launch Pad ASM-1 scale missile - already did the smaller aft fin after swapping out the OEM shock cord for a much longer length of thicker braided elastic. After I’m done it’s finally going to get the Stickershock vinyl applied and flown at the next club launch for only the second time ever.

Following the fun coming up with and finishing the Meep Meep Magg, I had another stupid idea pop into my head this weekend...and a 4" Big Daddy may be what I start on next to give this idea a canvas.
Someone say 4 inch big daddy ???? Intriguing……
Brilliant……
👏

hart loadout.jpg

Got a new range box/tool box/spare parts bin for rocketry. This is Walmart's Hart load out system. Harbor Freight's was just all the wrong sizes, and Milwaukee's was way too expensive.

Unfortunately they were all out of round 'tuits so actually moving everything to it will have to wait some.

Following the fun coming up with and finishing the Meep Meep Magg, I had another stupid idea pop into my head this weekend...and a 4" Big Daddy may be what I start on next to give this idea a canvas.
Are you thinking 38mm or bigger in the big daddy ?

IMO, Red Columbine looks like a shuttlecock. I was thinking of the second picture from the left, similarish to the Scarlet Gilia, but maybe different enough to be worthwhile.

How about a rocket with about 12 to 15 helicopter blades for recovery, all springing upward when released. They're all colored bright yellow, and wind up surrounding a dark brown nose cone and green body tube.
1657655955125.png

1. Downloaded the newest Webb telescope images - WOW!
2. I just received a mixed BP/APCP motor order in today. So I processed them (de-packaged), separated the BP igniters and plugs, sorted, and stored in containers. This supply should take of my needs for the rest of the year. Naw, on second thought, ONE more order will be necessary! :p
3. I updated some spreadsheets to estimate altitude and correct delays for some HPRs to confirm my CAR Lvl 2 and Lvl 3 attempts.
4. Then I added rail buttons onto several MP rockets (for versatility I went with dual buttons and launch lugs on some). Drilled vent holes for altimeters.
5. I sanded-prepped my LOC 3" BBX. Later today I will be prime painting it. I will be mixing my paint with my DYI mixer again.

Last edited:
Recreated a main fin for my crashed late last fall The Launch Pad ASM-1 scale missile - already did the smaller aft fin after swapping out the OEM shock cord for a much longer length of thicker braided elastic. After I’m done it’s finally going to get the Stickershock vinyl applied and flown at the next club launch for only the second time ever.
Are you taking pics? Interested in the build.

Worked up some enthusiasm and fired up my Vertical Trajectory System on the bench. It has been a while. Upgraded the Ardupilot firmware to the latest 4.2 version. They have implemented a PID controller in the yaw in this version. That feature was sadly lacking up till now and forced me to do some peculiar work-arounds to get roll control functional, which I wasn't really happy with. The latest version has some nice features, including feed-forward and rate controls, in the control loops, so is a far better solution for using it on a rocket.

Next up is some estimation for the control constants and some bench testing.

Last edited:
IMO, Red Columbine looks like a shuttlecock. I was thinking of the second picture from the left, similarish to the Scarlet Gilia, but maybe different enough to be worthwhile.

How about a rocket with about 12 to 15 helicopter blades for recovery, all springing upward when released. They're all colored bright yellow, and wind up surrounding a dark brown nose cone and green body tube.
View attachment 527387

Pretty sure @BABAR has already done this... I saw a video of him launching it, all it needs is the paint scheme. ;)

Dumped my old paint respirator and replaced it with a new one.
Cannot source the filters and cartridges anymore for the old clunker.
And assembled an RRV* last night.
Doctor wants me to get more exercise, I want to recover rockets faster so I can do more launches.
Win/win.

*Rocket Retrieval Vehicle, aka folding bike.

Finished painting the Rocketry Warehouse Nike-Smoke. Not my finest hour, but as someone pointed out, it'll look the part on the pad. Just have to put a satin coat on it, the United States decal (much as those words now pain me), maybe a few 'fasteners' details, and the rail buttons with stand offs.

Painted metallic blue for the fins on the C-Liminator.

Soaked the leading edges of the RedTop fins with thin CA.

Trying to figure out how to cut triangular stock from square given what I have to work with.

Just received my Arrow from DG&A and here’s what the body tube looks like.

Attachments

• 40334B86-D1A2-4B9E-A812-A66F6128FB17.jpeg
    40334B86-D1A2-4B9E-A812-A66F6128FB17.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 336B881C-6948-49E6-9A22-3EB033D6C973.jpeg
    336B881C-6948-49E6-9A22-3EB033D6C973.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F18986F5-89C8-44F0-8DF1-77B538CE07A8.jpeg
    F18986F5-89C8-44F0-8DF1-77B538CE07A8.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back