What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted a 'found' Aerotech rocket. It has to be 5 years old or more. I painted it with a 'found' half can of orange and a can of some blue litter. Both were heated up, upside down, in the sunlight before I used them. The orange 'just made it' sputtering terribly in the end. The blue glitter looks GREAT. But I did not know how rough the surface would be! No matter. I am not a "Oooh lets go really high" rocketeer. Quite the opposite. I am a "I want to see the whole flight", low and slow if need be, rocketeer. It's looks really nice.

I put a light coat of clear on the glitter. It did not affect the rough surface. But might make it a bit more resistant to scapes. Or not.

Did more work on the Redtop as documented in its build thread.

And sanded the body of another 'discovery' from 5 or so years ago, a Rocketry Warehouse 4 inch Nike-Smoke with 54mm MMT. It'll never see a 54mm motor at the days current prices, but one can hope. After sanding the paint from 5 years ago, and the runs, I added another coat of flat white.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday, I JB Welded the Aeropack retainer onto the Parkflyer Magnum motor tube. I also had to do quite a bit of trimming to loosen the nose cone. Right out of the package, it was extremely tight. The rest of this week I'm dedicating myself to finishing my LOC IV. Get primer on it today, color on the fins tomorrow, and hopefully, the main color on Saturday as it's supposed to rain Friday. I got Stickershock decals for it and I'm thinking it's first flight will be in September.

Trying to decide between the 4” SBR Thor and the Apogee Katana…the Katana comes with more “stuff” in the box for a lower price, but the Thor looks amazing….(first world problems…)
Ohhh man yea that’s a tuff one
Not much help buttttt I would think either kit will be awesome. Katana seems like a beast

Let the 4 and 6 year old grandsons pick out 2 rockets each to take back home with them. That way I'll have less to move into my condo when I lose my garage. :mad:

I painted a 'found' Aerotech rocket. It has to be 5 years old or more. I painted it with a 'found' half can of orange and a can of some blue litter. Both were heated up, upside down, in the sunlight before I used them. The orange 'just made it' sputtering terribly in the end. The blue glitter looks GREAT. But I did not know how rough the surface would be! No matter. I am not a "Oooh lets go really high" rocketeer. Quite the opposite. I am a "I want to see the whole flight", low and slow if need be, rocketeer. It's looks really nice.

I put a light coat of clear on the glitter. It did not affect the rough surface. But might make it a bit more resistant to scapes. Or not.
The TARC team I mentor tried using glitter paint a few years ago to increase roughness and reduce altitude. It turned out that it made surprisingly little difference. The clear coat definitely helps, including keeping the rocket from spreading glitter all over your work surfaces, your car, your field table, your launch pad...

The TARC team I mentor tried using glitter paint a few years ago to increase roughness and reduce altitude. It turned out that it made surprisingly little difference. The clear coat definitely helps, including keeping the rocket from spreading glitter all over your work surfaces, your car, your field table, your launch pad...
Well, if they really want to reduce altitude they could try putting an appropriately scaled hula skirt on it.
1657121239972.png

So far today, I received my renewed Tripoli card in the mail and I sprayed a second cost of primer on an MMX Goblin. The tiny rockets are fun, but they still take days to paint.

Finished spraying flat white on the Rocketry Warehouse 4" Nike smoke.
Used some 6 year old aves epoxy paste to repair a break in the Nike Smoke's nose cone shoulder

Installed the bulkhead with the eyebolt on the RedTop. Marked the fins for installation.

Added a few of my own, and a bunch of the stock, decals to the Arreaux

My first day off work was nearly totally dedicated to family. However, I had chance to put sone time on rocketry. I did a good coat of wood filler on the airframe which has been glassed but despite my effort due to inexperience was not super smooth. Now I will wait tomorrow and will sand it down probably using A 240 and then a 600.
84890A78-E31D-494A-B299-E2E827112D32.jpeg
I also happily received a wonderful expediter and it will stay waiting for a good time. I have planned to use it as a booster for a two stage… the good thing is that I should be able to fly also as it is.
50B2620B-8B9F-4989-B752-48826C803C1F.jpeg
Lastly I helped my daughter to assemble her first motor block we started to work on her Astron Spirit XL, which you can see standing there with the entire family, she did a good job with the glue.

Today I did nothing so far. Yesterday though I finished my 2nd attempt at a vinyl wrap. The wrap came out fine. The fins not so much. I tried having the wrap completely cover the fins. I found out wrapping the whole fin is not the best idea. Next time I'll only do the flat part of the fin or I'll paint them. This rocket is a 3" BMS BT with a 38mm mmt. It is 45" long and weighs 35 ounces with a chute. It is single deploy The vinyl is Cricut self adhesive. I sprayed a little alcohol on the sticky side so it wouldn't grab so much. That worked fine on the body tube. Not good on the fins. Probably to much alcohol. The nose cone I left naked. Probably will paint it at some time in the future. I'm calling this rocket Sparkler.20220706_135004[4015].jpg20220706_135014[4016].jpg20220706_135023[4014].jpg

Today I did nothing so far. Yesterday though I finished my 2nd attempt at a vinyl wrap. The wrap came out fine. The fins not so much. I tried having the wrap completely cover the fins. I found out wrapping the whole fin is not the best idea. Next time I'll only do the flat part of the fin or I'll paint them. This rocket is a 3" BMS BT with a 38mm mmt. It is 45" long and weighs 35 ounces with a chute. It is single deploy The vinyl is Cricut self adhesive. I sprayed a little alcohol on the sticky side so it wouldn't grab so much. That worked fine on the body tube. Not good on the fins. Probably to much alcohol. The nose cone I left naked. Probably will paint it at some time in the future. I'm calling this rocket Sparkler.View attachment 526386View attachment 526387View attachment 526388
Should be easily seen while falling, now add a 10' mylar streamer and it will even be harder to lose.

I started my first Tangent in 20+ years. I even had to dig out the instructions to see how something was done. I also started another Apogee Condor with UMX RC. .

Created a headed for the "Range Checklist LPR/MPR".

Basically, items I need to load into my pickup truck when we are headed to the rocketry range.

This was my wife's idea, and it's a good one.

FYI: The "Fleet Sheet" is a summary sheet for rockets I have built.View attachment 525781View attachment 525785
Sorry we could never meet in RL. You are much too organized and rational. Just merely shaking my hand would cause foaming at the mouth, bleeding from ears and eyes, and your head would explode 30 seconds later. Seen it happen. lived thru it. got a clean t-shirt from the launch vendor. Felt bad until I saw a squirrel. They are sooo cute.

Speaking with one of the guys at work he indicated he might like to start getting into rocketry. I bought a couple of Estes kits from home so he could choose one. Also lent him the Apogee book on model rocketry design and construction.

Still hanging out for results from Spaceport America Cup...

Level 1 success with a LOC Athena!!
View attachment 526461
Congratulations.

Speaking with one of the guys at work he indicated he might like to start getting into rocketry. I bought a couple of Estes kits from home so he could choose one. Also lent him the Apogee book on model rocketry design and construction.
That's a lot of information; I hope it doesn't overload and scare him off. I guess you'll have to be there, constantly at his side, answering his many, many questions and quelling his overwhelming anxiety.

I'm doing a bunch of odds and ends. I'm painting rockets after too long of a while. Is Ace spray paint rebranded Rustoleum, rebranded Krylon, or some other dealie?

Got in my 11x14 Saturn v photo and framed it up .
Also alittle camp for my boy and I tonight lol
Hoping for some beautiful stars tonight

Attachments

• 95CD54B9-08DA-4CFA-A4A0-54FC8C109447.jpeg
    95CD54B9-08DA-4CFA-A4A0-54FC8C109447.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • AD473289-4392-4781-88C7-8AA746AC2C57.jpeg
    AD473289-4392-4781-88C7-8AA746AC2C57.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 0
Back