What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing time at the Cape Byron Rocketry Proving Ground in the back yard...

Go-Anna! with added nose weight. Too much fun. Now on the 'wants to be a kit' list. No in the air pics, sorry. She just teleports!

Go-Anna! 1 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Final tests of the Yalga. All flights landed within 4 metres of the pad. It was a beautiful day for flying. Now signed off for production with the first kit run prolly first week of September. The booster stage (for those so inclined) should be available later in September. Just looks great in the air...

Yalga 1 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Yalga 2 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Cool picture of the rocket and chute opened coming down 👍🏻

QUOTE="Cape Byron, post: 2172419, member: 29882"]
Testing time at the Cape Byron Rocketry Proving Ground in the back yard...

Go-Anna! with added nose weight. Too much fun. Now on the 'wants to be a kit' list. No in the air pics, sorry. She just teleports!

View attachment 478603

Final tests of the Yalga. All flights landed within 4 metres of the pad. It was a beautiful day for flying. Now signed off for production with the first kit run prolly first week of September. The booster stage (for those so inclined) should be available later in September. Just looks great in the air...

View attachment 478604

View attachment 478605
[/QUOTE]

It was a beautiful, clear, still, hot day in Western Oklahoma. A perfect day for my L2 cert flight. There were a couple of missteps, but I got the rocket back in great shape. Now on to L3!
Congratulations.
Blew about $120 in raw materials to build my first "scratch" built rocket and settled on a design that's really complicated that I likely have no business starting with...😳🤣
(I ask forgiveness not permission)
To spend your own time and your own money on your own project, you need neither.

It was a beautiful, clear, still, hot day in Western Oklahoma. A perfect day for my L2 cert flight. There were a couple of missteps, but I got the rocket back in great shape. Now on to L3!
Nice work on the L2. Next stop, L3. Let me know if you run into questions. I got to make multiple attempts at L3. I was successful eventually, but I did find a few landmines.

Jim

Nice work on the L2. Next stop, L3. Let me know if you run into questions. I got to make multiple attempts at L3. I was successful eventually, but I did find a few landmines.

Jim

Just one question: where do I get the money? I scratch built my L2 (I'm guessing about $50). The motor cost more than the rocket (J270 - $80).

Having a great rocket weekend here. Went to the monthly DARS launch in Gunter, TX yesterday. Weather was a little better than forecast, wind wise. Did not get unbearably hot until a little while before the launch was over at 2pm. A great day for launching. Had a couple of very enjoyable RC rocket glider flights.

Dipped some igniters earlier and am now cutting out some parts for a couple more RC RGs

Last edited:
Just one question: where do I get the money? I scratch built my L2 (I'm guessing about $50). The motor cost more than the rocket (J270 - $80).
The motor always costs more in HP. The L3 motor will usually cost more and weigh more than one's entire L2 project with motor. I generally got little help on my certs as far as ability to borrow motors, altimeters, etc. Most folks use the DMS motors to cert with to avoid the big chomp of the casing. That is one monster expense that can be postponed, not that the DMS M motors are cheap.

Jim

Because I'm back on the road hauling a load of water to some stores in Massachusetts and Connecticut, I have to hold off on builds but am still planning for the future with ordering parts and supplies. So, yesterday, I'd ordered some linear guides in preparation of the rocket motor test stand. They will probably be the focal point of the whole system. I'm designing a carriage system for holding the experimental rocket motors.

I've also ordered some 18650 batteries that will power some electronics in the future launch vehicle. I think I will standardize my systems around that battery format.

Still hunting for aluminum or brass rectangular tubing for the Apollo-era Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT) legs.

Sharon and I just got back from spending the summer in Red River, NM. Today we jumped back into "Rocket Mode"!
This morning we went over our list of rockets we are taking to Airfest next week, came out to twenty rockets, six of which we need to replace the "sparky" motors we had planned to fly, but are now banned because of crop rotation. We have one week to prep the toy hauler, so we parked it out front and started loading rockets and all the stuff for a week in the rocket pasture. I have a list of motors that need to be built, including my first N3300 Redline to replace the N2220 Dark Matter that I had planned to fly.

This was actually on Friday. Went and launched a few including the first flight for this naked Mini Honest John. Good flight it earned some paint. Realized from my log book that I haven't been out since March, such is life with young kids and lots o home projects. Also recieved a replacement body tube from eRockets for a Mx Cherokee. Can't say enough about their customer service, just top notch.

PXL_20210820_141554608.jpg

Back