3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
Almost maxing out the Z on my 300mm Voron. This will be a 54mm airframe, 5:1 Von Karman nose cone, and 29mm power. The nose cone tip was printed separately to keep the height within range of the printer, and so that I can add ballast if necessary.

I'm working the CAD on a 38mm version now.

The CAD:

And the prototype dry assembly:

Love the design! Very MAC Performance Blackfly-ish. Any chance you'd be willing to share the STL files?

AeroAggie

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It definitely pays homage to Black Fly, but the fins are more Nike-like in profile (except for the part about having 5 of them). I may do a 6-fin version too.

If I post STLs, it won't be until after test flying. I don't want to put junk out that will fly poorly or disintegrate.

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Printed nose cone sections for my build... need a bit more adjustments, it was first print this tall, but its looks worse than it actually is

PXL_20210228_143231205.jpg

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used Nissan Leaf a few months ago and one of the things I found on their Facebook group was that the front upper strut attachment bolt often corrodes because the nut well catches water off the windshield. So I checked and sure enuf, no covers, and some light corrosion. These covers printed off of Thingiverse and fit perfectly.

20210313_123318_HDR.jpg20210313_123405.jpg

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nike Hercules threads have been popular lately, so I thought I'd take a shot at printing my CAD model of the interstage shroud. Fairly happy with the result. More pics at that link. BTW, this is the shape of the shroud; very few kits get it close to the right shape. In base of the upper transition, that little upward sweep and dimple at the top of the triangle is totally accurate. The print took 17 hours, but I wasn't trying to make it fast.
20210320_183004.jpg

A Person
Reaction score
Nike Hercules threads have been popular lately, so I thought I'd take a shot at printing my CAD model of the interstage shroud. Fairly happy with the result. More pics at that link. BTW, this is the shape of the shroud; very few kits get it close to the right shape. In base of the upper transition, that little upward sweep and dimple at the top of the triangle is totally accurate. The print took 17 hours, but I wasn't trying to make it fast.
View attachment 456349...........
Beautiful!

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am designing an AV bay for my rocket. Little hiatus from printing.

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also designing AV bays for a rocket or two. And just launched this morning my 3d printed fin design... flew great.

_kestrel_

Reaction score
Just finished printing and assembling this for a new Missile Works T3 tracker. The grey is Duramic PETG and the yellow is 3D Solutech PETG, both printed at 0.20mm layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle. The battery is held in the handle and covered with a battery door. The tracker and switch are held in place with 4-40 nylon screws threaded into heat set inserts. The rest is held together with 6-32 screws just tapped directly into the PETG. The phone is held on with a mount for a Garmin bike computer.

t3_1s.jpg
t3_2s.jpg
t3_3s.jpg

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got STLs for that? Looks very nice!

Just finished printing and assembling this for a new Missile Works T3 tracker. The grey is Duramic PETG and the yellow is 3D Solutech PETG, both printed at 0.20mm layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle. The battery is held in the handle and covered with a battery door. The tracker and switch are held in place with 4-40 nylon screws threaded into heat set inserts. The rest is held together with 6-32 screws just tapped directly into the PETG. The phone is held on with a mount for a Garmin bike computer.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Again print parts for a new prototype. I am upscaling my 3d printer rocket from 35mm to 42mm to 54mm. The new 35mm will be dual deployment and if the other 2 fly stable, I will make one that is dual deployment with each of them. My goal is to add a camera mount and tracker to the 54.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
Tray for the shiny new Starrett telescoping gauges. Overture PETG, .20mm res on 0.4 nozzle.
D20210321_060317_488KB.jpg

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
No printing today. I a building.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Printing my first FDM part at home (have had a small SLA printer for almost a year and have printed a number of parts from it.)

I ended up getting an Ender 3 Max, latest version with some improved features. Went together effortlessly, except for taking a while to level the bed. Might have to get the auto bed leveler for it. Printing a test part now, a small nose in PLA. Seems to be working happily.

After printing a number of PLA parts, it will get an enclosure and will switch it to ABS. I have a need for several thin wall ABS nose cones for RC rocket glider projects.

Swany

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a Prusa i3 MKS3+ earlier this year and just made some fin support brackets for a Sandhawk I’m building.
BD5F20B8-8B67-4992-BA42-CD79D58F0BB3.jpeg

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am trying to print conical nose cone tips for a project. They all come out messed up.

_kestrel_

Reaction score
I am trying to print conical nose cone tips for a project. They all come out messed up.
I’ve had some luck printing conical parts by either printing multiples of the part or printing another part on the bed at the same time. Just trying to increase the layer time and allow for better cooling.

Last edited:

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Designed and printed a camera mount for the Mobius camera.

PXL_20210406_133552623.jpg
PXL_20210406_133711017.jpg

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So far, so good with the new Ender 3 Max. Have printed 6-7 nose cones in regular PLA with great results, plus a few RC airplane scale parts.

Pics are of the top half of a 4” V2 model nose cone from Thingiverse, rescaled slightly to match Estes BT-101 to make a Maxi Brute V2 clone, or possibly a 4” RC RG A4b. Pretty happy with the very close to perfect needle tip. The other pic is of a single .04 layer skin thickness NC-50 type nose cone that weighs about 6 grams. Came out perfectly.

Print quality is identical with the three Raise 3D printers I used at work untilI recently retired, although those were printing ABS plus in an enclosure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nick Hutton

Reaction score
Finally finished a mount for an EggtimerTx than has a threaded bases and can be moved from nose cone to nose cone. I've designed it to fit in a 54mm shoulder/coupler tube as that's what my next couple of projects will use, but it could be adapted easily to fit any larger mount. Only took me about 24 versions on Fusion 360 to get it right.

My first publish on Thingiverse

Had to measure and guess the dimensions for the screw holes on the Tx as I could not for the life of me find the dimensions anywhere.

IMG-3171.jpg

Reactions: BDB

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Printing components for modularized electronics sled. Seems to be a never ending compulsion; try something, then think of a different approach, try that and repeat.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am printing a new sled for my altimeter.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I printed this 9” long BT-50 size conical nose cone today mostly to see if it would actually print. It did a pretty darn good job. Little bit of dithering at the very tip. Coat the last 3/4” of the tip with CA and do a little careful sanding and it would be near perfect.

I also did this as a way to get a fairly long BT-50 to BT-20 transition, by trimming it to length.

Attachments

Arpak

Reaction score
Currently working on a boat tail for a zephyr after a friend of mine showed me this terrifying simulation he ran.
unknown-5.png

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I printed this 9” long BT-50 size conical nose cone today mostly to see if it would actually print. It did a pretty darn good job. Little bit of dithering at the very tip. Coat the last 3/4” of the tip with CA and do a little careful sanding and it would be near perfect.

I also did this as a way to get a fairly long BT-50 to BT-20 transition, by trimming it to length.
That tip is the same thing I experienced. I would have to sand them. I SWITCHED to ASA and they came out perfect.

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Printed up some electronics carriers for my various GPS units and JollyLogic altimeters. First one is for BT70 based rockets, although can be used in 54mm too. And bottom one is for a 3" rocket.

PXL_20210502_212925782.jpg
PXL_20210502_214317871.jpg

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Printed up a concept altimeter mount for minimum diameter applications. Need to get over to Dad's soon to pick up the components (we share a 3D printer, and my brother and I have both flown the coop, so he has all sorts of time to tinker with the printer). If it fits well, I need to make a revision or two, and then can implement.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Picked up the prints. I call it a 75% success. A fair bit of tweaking and I just might have gotten it this time. Only one way to find out. Hoping dad prints it today or tomorrow. Mother's Day dinner with family is Saturday so if I don't get over there by then, that'll be the test fit!