Warning to all members using Ebay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_taylor

Reaction score
hey guys
i thought i just warn you about tekwriterone, they are selling aardvark rocket kits but i brought 3 models back in early july and i haven't seen any of them yet and no email responses since i sent the money , and I'm not the only one look here
there goes my $30 (hey it takes me a while to earn that)

matt

OUCH!

That's why you should review feedback first...

...school of hard knocks... best (and hardest) lessons you will ever learn (remind me to show you my PhD from the SoHK... :D )

jim

yea i know but the thing is there was no negative feedback when i bided!! i have filed a case with square trade and I'm now just hoping for a refund

matt

He has one of the lowest feedback ratings I have seen in a while. I am interested in one of his kits so I e-mailed him this message...
Due to your feedback history I was wondering if you would be willing to C.O.D. When i recieve the kit, I could PayPal you the money. Would that be something you could do?
I'll let you know what happens.

Matt...did you try and get his Phone#?

I bought an Aardvark BB VB from him. He took 2 to 3 weeks to ship it, but it got here, USPS (Shipping from Oregon to North Carolina). Maybe I'll go check out his rating now. Maybe he's just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow. :eek:

Interesting that he has only had that ID since late June of this year. I wonder what the feedback looked like on previous ID's?

Originally posted by SwingWing
Interesting that he has only had that ID since late June of this year. I wonder what the feedback looked like on previous ID's?

I did a ID search.... that ID is the only one showing up.... I "think" any previous IDs are suppost to show up.....

And I was eyeing one of his rocket myself..... not anymore!!!!

Originally posted by Rocketmanic

And I was eying one of his rocket myself..... not anymore!!!!

good thats really what i was posting about so no one else can lose there money, i haven't got his ph# as i it would probably cost me most of the $30 i paid trying to ring him, oh well
i suppose it happens to everyone :(
i would like to do C.O.D but i don't think it will work as the most packages go from USPS to NZ post

matt

Originally posted by Rocketmanic
I did a ID search.... that ID is the only one showing up.... I "think" any previous IDs are suppost to show up.....

There are ways around that... Still it didn't take long for him to get a bad feedback rating!!

Are we looking at the same profile? It shows 27 to me. That isn't a bad rating. Or am I looking at something wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, the negs are enough to not deal with, but still.

It's the pattern. All of the negatives are recent and most are the positives are when he's buying. Negatives and neutrals outweigh the positives when he's the seller.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Are we looking at the same profile? It shows 27 to me. That isn't a bad rating. Or am I looking at something wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, the negs are enough to not deal with, but still.

What I usually pay attention to, is the positive percentage, on the item page. If it's below 98 percent, I steer clear. Anything less than 100 percent, and I still check the feedbacks to see what the negative was, and how long ago. One more thing I do, is to check the feedback of the user who left the negative.

Originally posted by astrowolf67
One more thing I do, is to check the feedback of the user who left the negative.

very few people do this, but it is *very* important for buyer *and* seller. I do this all the time regardless of which end I am on.

Ok, since we're on the topic of bad Ebay sellers, here goes:

On Sept 7 I won an auction for a Centuri rocket from the seller tinypackages. Today I asked the status of the order. What I got back was a USPS tracking number that turned out to be invalid.

I informed tinypackages that the number was no good and just got a hostile email telling me I was not able to read the number correctly and there was nothing she could do.

So I requested a refund through Paypal. I'll see how that goes. But the kicker is that when Paypal emailed her about the transaction, she promptly emailed me a virus. Fortunately, my virus scan caught it before I opened the email.

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from tinypackages

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
she promptly emailed me a virus. Fortunately, my virus scan caught it before I opened the email.

Wow..... Not very good customer service!!!!!!!

update, no good news yet
SecretSquirrel you say you requested a refund thorugh paypal how/what is this?

thanks
matt

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Ok, since we're on the topic of bad Ebay sellers, here goes:

On Sept 7 I won an auction for a Centuri rocket from the seller tinypackages. Today I asked the status of the order. What I got back was a USPS tracking number that turned out to be invalid.

I informed tinypackages that the number was no good and just got a hostile email telling me I was not able to read the number correctly and there was nothing she could do.

So I requested a refund through Paypal. I'll see how that goes. But the kicker is that when Paypal emailed her about the transaction, she promptly emailed me a virus. Fortunately, my virus scan caught it before I opened the email.

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from tinypackages

I got a Blast Off Flight Pack, new (Estes) from her a while ago through the Rocketry Online Auction. If I remember correctly, shipping was a tad slow but I got it in fine condition without too much trouble. (And at a great price - $25 total)

i filed in square trade and he did respond with reasons saying he was hit buy a virus and that he did try and ship it but it never got there and was sent back, and said that he would try again after double checking my address and that was 3 months ago , i just remembered about it to, so I'm looking in the ebay help files..etc to se what i can do, i don't want to bring in a moderator from square trade as that is $20 and its only $30.
the sad thing is i haven't wanted use Ebay or Rol since

matt

Originally posted by Fore Check
I got a Blast Off Flight Pack, new (Estes) from her a while ago through the Rocketry Online Auction.

Kind of off this thread, but anyone purchasing rocket motors or other "highly energetic materials" via USmail should take steps to be sure the seller understands and follows the rules for shipping this stuff. Even if you are only the receiver, you can get in BIG trouble for participating in the mailing of materials like black powder if the box is not properly marked, and if the sender does not hold the right permits. The homeland security act adds even more teeth now, and probably allows our great government bureaucrats to accuse you of terrorism unless you follow all the rules. Watch out!

Originally posted by powderburner
Kind of off this thread, but anyone purchasing rocket motors or other "highly energetic materials" via USmail should take steps to be sure the seller understands and follows the rules for shipping this stuff. Even if .......
............ allows our great government bureaucrats to accuse you of terrorism unless you follow all the rules. Watch out!

I concur with this. What's sad is that it really isn't that hard to ship Estes type motors. Just simply state to your postman/woman that you are shipping a solid combustable "toy" motor and they will ship them by truck. I think the code is ORMD. The irony is it does not take that much more time to reach their destination (in the U.S.).

Be careful

I concur with this. What's sad is that it really isn't that hard to ship Estes type motors. Just simply state to your postman/woman that you are shipping a solid combustable "toy" motor and they will ship them by truck. I think the code is ORMD. The irony is it does not take that much more time to reach their destination (in the U.S.).

It your postal carrier is accepting motors that way, both you and your postal carrier are not following the correct procedure.

Check out https://nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf for instructions to obtain the proper USPS authorization for shipping and labeling rocket motors classified 1.4S/NA0323 (rocket motors with 30 gm or less of propellant).

Bob Krech

Originally posted by bobkrech
Be careful

It your postal carrier is accepting motors that way, both you and your postal carrier are not following the correct procedure.

Check out https://nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf for instructions to obtain the proper USPS authorization for shipping and labeling rocket motors classified 1.4S/NA0323 (rocket motors with 30 gm or less of propellant).

Bob Krech

Gee Bob, that seems kinda odd. I showed an empty motor case to the postmaster manager here in town and to another (I use two post offices...long story) and they both used the same code after referring to the same book/chart. They were the one's that told me on what to classify them.

I showed an empty motor case to the postmaster manager here in town and to another (I use two post offices...long story) and they both used the same code after referring to the same book/chart. They were the one's that told me on what to classify them.
The classification is correct, but they should have required you to supply an authorization letter. If you read the regulation, you, not the post office, are required to be in compliance.

From USPS Publication 52, July 1999 (DOT may have changed the 1.4S to a 30 gm. limit at a later date but I don't know for sure.)
341.22 Mailable Explosives

The following specific types of explosives may be mailed only when the applicable conditions are met. Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with DOT and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) regulations before mailing.

a. Toy Propellant Devices. The proper shipping name for a toy propellant device is “model rocket motor” or “igniters.” A toy propellant device assigned UN0454 or NA0323 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written permission has been obtained from the Manager, Business Mail Acceptance, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC. A device approved for mailing is subject to the following onditions:

(1) Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only; contain no more than 62.5 g (2.23 oz) of propellant; and produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.

(2) Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces; must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions of use; must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500° F; and must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation-charge parachute recovery system.

(3) Each mailpiece containing approved devices must be prepared for mailing following Packaging Instruction 1A in Appendix C. A
shipper’s declaration for dangerous goods is required.
You can get the entire Publication at https://www.cargopak.com/resources/pub52.pdf

I don't make the rules, but with today's political climate, I sure would follow them.

Bob Krech

Latest posts

Back