WANTED: Beta testers for the next release of OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried a number of times to download and get a 429 error whatever every that is.

Huh, all this time I didn't realize you were a Mac user. In any case, all the download links still work for me... try waiting a bit and then trying again. Sorry I have no idea why you might get a 429 error when it's working for others.

I use both but figured Mac users are rare. I finally got it to work and really like the oBJ file download. I will mess with it a lot this week. I might try to use it to make a full Nike Smoke kit.

LOL

I'll let you guys know if I can get the JAR file working on VMS. [grin]
Code:
DKA100:[W5NNH.OPENROCKET]$ copy helden::sys$specific:[packages]OpenRocket*.jar [
]OpenRocket23-09-beta-01.jar
REDMAX::W5NNH 21:20:18 COPY      CPU=00:00:02.67 PF=615 IO=14264 MEM=330
 Copying: HELDEN::SYS$SPECIFIC:[PACKAGES]OpenRocket-23^.09^.beta^.01.jar;1 (74%
completed)
          103912 blocks copied of 139569
REDMAX::W5NNH 21:20:29 COPY      CPU=00:00:02.68 PF=615 IO=14327 MEM=330
completed)
          104408 blocks copied of 139569

LOL

I'll let you guys know if I can get the JAR file working on VMS. [grin]
Code:
DKA100:[W5NNH.OPENROCKET]$ copy helden::sys$specific:[packages]OpenRocket*.jar [
]OpenRocket23-09-beta-01.jar
REDMAX::W5NNH 21:20:18 COPY      CPU=00:00:02.67 PF=615 IO=14264 MEM=330
completed)
          103912 blocks copied of 139569
REDMAX::W5NNH 21:20:29 COPY      CPU=00:00:02.68 PF=615 IO=14327 MEM=330
completed)
          104408 blocks copied of 139569
Only allowable if you do it on one of these:
1695000519049.png

I didn't have any problems downloading. did have an issue with the install. When asked if I wanted to upgrade the current install or install in a new folder, I checked new folder. The install upgraded the existing.

That was my first experience with VMS, on an intro to Fortran class in 1982. :)
For me, it was a cluster of VAXen: VAX-6000/230, two microVAX 3600, four microVAX 3500 in a LAVcluster with a string of RA82s attached to the 6000/230 and the 3600s. All running VMS and VAX-DSM. About 30 DECserver 500s (PDP-11s with DEQNA and multiplex serial port cards) scattered throughout the hospital serving over 250 VT220s, VT320s, Wyse VT300 work-alikes and a ton of printers (dot-matrix, a handful of lasers, etc.) We eventually upgraded the 6000/230 to a 6640 (swap out the CPU cards and add memory) and switched from the RA82s to a bunch of DSSI dual-attached disks. In 1993, we migrated to AlphaServers with a FDDI GigaSwitch for the LAVc backbone.

I had a VAXstation 2000 sitting on my desk, at one time.

I'd be able to get OpenRocket started from an LA120, but I'd set the X server to a different machine for display. [grin]

Agreed, dark mode is beautiful
I've had a bit of time to play around with it tonight and exporting to .obj went smooth as silk and opens up in Cura 5.4 no problems. I also loaded it up in Fusion 360 all fine, it's a great feature. I exported an entire rocket just for fun (might print it as a desk ornament haha) and I also had a go at exporting multiple individual components at once in to the one .obj (eg: the fins and body tube they're attached to and a transition above). It's extremely handy for getting a rough idea of what a component will weigh when printed, which enables you to use more accurate part weight in OR for a part you haven't even made yet!

Hopefully more export types can be done because I'd love to do half the work more quickly in OR and them send it over to AutoCAD for some finer editing.
I did encounter a bug with 3d views so I sent off a bug report, but I'm pretty sure it's an error I've encountered before with older versions and it's likely my PC that is the problem. I was able to resolve the issue though so I included what I did in the report.

Overall it looks great. I'm going to play around with the CSV export function when I get some time but this is a great version so far.

.iges and .step are pretty universally used with cad/cam software so both are killer options.
We had extensive discussions of output formats and STEP was the other leading candidate. OBJ was determined to be the most generally useful and also straightforward to implement. STEP is not out of the question for a future release.

We had extensive discussions of output formats and STEP was the other leading candidate. OBJ was determined to be the most generally useful and also straightforward to implement. STEP is not out of the question for a future release.
Adding the ability to export as a STEP file next would be awesome. Would make it easy to work with in a CAD program like Fusion360.

In the interest of providing feedback (but this is subjective so feel free to ignore), I think after using it for a bit that the new dark UI could benefit from some increased contrast. It's a bit pale or washed out compared to most other programs I've seen that offer a dark mode (e.g. VS Code or even just the native dark mode on macOS). Not sure if this is something that can even easily be done though. I'm guessing that since a lot of the UI elements look different with the dark mode enabled that it was more involved than just changing a few simple colour settings somewhere in the source code.

I am not a big fan of dark mode in general and am not an expert. You may find this exchange interesting (https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/pull/2261#issuecomment-1637992460). I defer.

View attachment 605114
Many programs offer multiple flavours of dark mode. Some with more contrast than others. Since the contrast could be tweaked according to @SiboVG I wonder about offering the user a second darker/higher contrast option in addition to the current dark mode.

So far the obj exporting has been going well. One thing I would like would be a checkbox in the exporting for making the model fully solid. This would be for printing scale versions of a model with a solid body tube (so that it is actually printable). Not sure how hard that would be but I think it would be useful.

Has anyone tried editing the shape of a freeform fin set using the new beta? If so please report your experience, and be sure to include what OS you're running.

In my own testing it's been extraordinarily slow, whereas in 22.02 it was fast and fluid. Bad on Mac but unusable on Windows.

Latest posts

Back