ANNOUNCEMENT: OpenRocket 23.09 is now available for download

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The OpenRocket team is pleased to announce the release of version 23.09.

Download: https://openrocket.info/downloads.html?vers=23.09
Full release notes: https://openrocket.info/release_notes.html
OpenRocket Discord: https://discord.gg/qD2G5v2FAw

We're also introducing a new Tutorials page on the website: https://openrocket.info/tutorials/. We'd love some feedback on these, along with suggestions for topics. Come talk to us on Discord, or join this new mailing list: https://sourceforge.net/p/openrocket/mailman/openrocket-website/.

One additional note: If you’re having trouble with 3D views with the new version, try toggling the “Use off-screen rendering” setting in the “Graphics” tab of preferences.

Major new features of the 23.09 release include:
  • 3D Printing Support: Export any select component(s) to OBJ file (File -> Export as -> Wavefront OBJ or the contextual menu)
  • RASAero compatibility: Import / Export CDX1 files (File -> Import -> RASAero II and File -> Export as -> RASAero II)
  • Dark Mode (normal and high-contrast) and custom UI font size support: See "General" tab in Preferences
  • Export sim results table to CSV: select sims and then File -> Export simulation table as CSV File or use the contextual menu.
Major bug fixes:
  • Fixed tube fin drag (most noticeable when using less than a full set of six tube fins)
  • Fixed base drag when using Cd override (important when implementing Base Drag CP Correction)
  • Fixed atmospheric pressure when using ISA conditions
  • Properly sanitize XML in ORK file (eliminates corrupt ORK files that won't load)

And much, much more. Many thanks once again to our developers, testers, and users, and financial supporters. Happy simming!

Last edited:
@SiboVG, @JoePfeiffer, @jddj and @neil_w --

Thank you !

I've been playing with OpenRocket 23.09 and I am very impressed with your work !

I had hoped to participate in the beta testing but as always, life interfered with my good intentions and all I ever did was read a few threads on Discord :)

I've not yet tried thru all the new stuff in 23.09, but what I have tested is VERY polished and ready for 'production' work.

I installed OR 23.09 adjacent to OR 22.02 'just in case' but 23.09 is working so well that I've already removed the old version from my HDD.

Thanks again for all that you do for the community !

-- kjh

@SiboVG, @JoePfeiffer, @jddj and @neil_w --

Thank you !

I've been playing with OpenRocket 23.09 and I am very impressed with your work !

I had hoped to participate in the beta testing but as always, life interfered with my good intentions and all I ever did was read a few threads on Discord :)

I've not yet tried thru all the new stuff in 23.09, but what I have tested is VERY polished and ready for 'production' work.

I installed OR 23.09 adjacent to OR 22.02 'just in case' but 23.09 is working so well that I've already removed the old version from my HDD.

Thanks again for all that you do for the community !

-- kjh
Thank you for the kind words, really appreciate it :)

A small break :)

After that, something we've been talking about for a looong time is improving design warnings to users. We're also gonna improve/modernize the project structure and documentation, hoping that can attract new developers.
That break is a long time coming so enjoy it! And I might be interested in being a developer if I knew more about it.

Edit sorry @neil_w but you don’t get a break to many questions about the new update!:p

Last edited:
Any chance of adding the ability to round the corners of free form fins? Input the corner points, then select those points and change to a radius that adds in the new points? This is handy in Rocksim (RS_Fin-02.jpg). Bonus points if you add an "svg" output so they fin pattern can be laser cut...

Attachments

• OR_Fin-01.jpg
    OR_Fin-01.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
  • OR_Fin-02.jpg
    OR_Fin-02.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RS_Fin-02.jpg
    RS_Fin-02.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Rounded Fin set.svg
    632 bytes · Views: 0
Any chance of adding the ability to round the corners of free form fins? Input the corner points, then select those points and change to a radius that adds in the new points? This is handy in Rocksim (RS_Fin-02.jpg). Bonus points if you add an "svg" output so they fin pattern can be laser cut...
Get busy coding!

Any hope of running open rocket on an raspberry pi? I have tried Ubuntu on a pi 5 and the SW is not in the app store. I have it on a 2011 emachine running Ubuntu but it crawls not runs.

Any hope of running open rocket on a raspberry pi? I have tried Ubuntu on a pi 5 and the SW is not in the app store. I have it on a 2011 emachine running Ubuntu but it crawls not runs.
It has been attempted before but I don’t recall hearing of anyone succeeding. You’re welcome to give it a shot!

I don’t know what kind of performance to expect, though…

I downloaded the latest version now I feel that i'm confident enough to design a rocket and move things around to get a desired result. I'm still in my infancy with this program, but very thankful to all of the people who worked hard to make this available for everybody. 👍

Any hope of running open rocket on an raspberry pi? I have tried Ubuntu on a pi 5 and the SW is not in the app store. I have it on a 2011 emachine running Ubuntu but it crawls not runs.
Install Java 17, get the jar, and see what happens! It ought to work, except for the 3D stuff.

@the random rocketer --

Maybe ...

I run OpenRocket 23.09 on my Intel Slackware Linux Box on openjdk 11 ( openjdk11-11.0.21_9-x86_64-1alien ).

It runs beautifully since the latest 23.09 update.

There is a version of openjdk 11 for your raspi 5 with a 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU.

This is one HowTo for installing openjdk 11 on a raspi: Installing Java on the Raspberry Pi

You only need a JRE but the JDK includes the JRE so maybe try the openjdk package first as outlined in the HowTo ...

Then like @JoePfeiffer, said, install the JAR file and try it out ?

Note that there are some Graphics configs under [Edit]->[Preferences]->[Graphics] that you may need to tweak as Joel said as well.

Screenshot of the Graphics Options are below ...

-- kjh

OR-23.09-Screenshot_20240124_042339.png

EDIT: This is a wrapper script called `or` that I installed in my $PATH

Code:
#!/bin/sh

DoWhat="/opt/OpenRocket/OpenRocket"      # edit me !

File=""

if [ $# -gt 0 ]
then
   File="$1" ; shift
   Base="$(basename "$File")"

[ "$Base" = "$File" ] && File="`pwd`/$File"

[ ! -f "$File" ] && echo "no such file:  '$File'" && exit 1

$DoWhat "$File"

else

$DoWhat

fi

exit $?
Edit the DoWhat variable so that it points at the OpenRocket wrapper script and then `chmod 755 /path/to/or`

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back