Unofficial TRF Rocketry Goals for 2023 Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Staying focused, so I keep my build list from growing faster than I can build stuff. Already have plans to build more different rockets than I'm likely to get done for several years, but the ideas keep coming.

Look, a flying squirrel! Hey, that would make a neat rocket...

I'm so close, I need to go to this:

2023 FAI World Championships for Space Models for Juniors and Seniors
and World Championship S2/P Challenge Cup
1-8 July, 2023
Austin, Texas, United States of America

https://www.nar.org/site/wsmc-2023/...ext=Event Dates: 1 July through 8 July, 2023.

I failed on both of those. But at least for the second one, what I did instead has worked out far better and more important than anything rocket-related ever will be.

Help the youngest boy build a replacement Luna Bug
Help the middle boy with his S9
Help the older boy with his S2P
Get at least one high power flight in
Well, I guess 2/4 ain't all that bad. Pretty clear I won't be doing much HPR until the fellas are older.

1. Test fly my Vertical Trajectory System and start to get the control gains dialed-in.
  2. Complete the Automatic Antenna Tracker and get it tracking rockets.
  3. Build another HPR, either my Fire Flyer 4 or the 3" Adventurer.
That's about the priorities, and I suspect not all are going to happen. Also attempting to build a house and mentor a uni team and do some consulting on a big project. Busy year, me thinks.
Completely missed on all three of mine. Getting the new house approval through Council, and renovating our existing home has taken up all my otherwise spare time in 2023. On the plus side I did get two HPR flights in, the first HPR flying since covid hit.

Let's see what 2024 brings. I suspect not much HPR due to renovations and an impending move. :(

• Push my building skills by learning how to make advanced composite parts for high perfomance rockets.
  • Attempt the TRASD President's Challenge (Exceed 2000 mph while staying under our 18,000 foot waiver)
  • Attempt to claim a Tripoli altitude record.
  • Actually cast some propellant.
  • Successfully launch a hybrid motor.
  • Fly a two stage rocket with electronic ignition.
  • Build and fly more low power and midpower rockets.
I managed to (mostly) meet the first three goals.

2023 was pretty good. I exceeded the H record twice with submin H13 rockets, but ran into recovery issues on both flights. I got a lot more confident in my composites skills by building a submin K1103 rocket that I flew at BALLS, it met the TRASD President's Challenge, but I didn't submit the flight.

Looking forward to next year, I think that it's likely that I'll be able to get into making propellant. Flying the hybrid shouldn't take too much work, I just need to get the GSE working. I'll probably put off the multistage projects for the future, I'm really hooked on optimizing the hell out of single stage rockets right now. And I still need to build some low power rockets and get back to flying with DART.

Back