Unofficial TRF Rocketry Goals for 2022 Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to my list, I want to build 3 Level 3 rockets and get 5 flights in by the end of next year. I have 6 level 3 fights but need more.

Chuck, if one may ask, where are you headed with all this L3 experience?

(I meant, are you planning some big project in the near future? M-to-N two stage? Cluster? Inquiring minds want to know! :))

Best -- Terry

Last edited:
1: Properly revamp the workshop to optimize things for rocket work, provide more/better construction space and light, and create a dual bench setup where my wife and I can work on rockets together and easily share common tools.

Rob - let us know how that works out. I have a 12 x 32 work shop and OMG, can't hardly move around in here. :oops:

Break 5000'. I know that's not much for most of you guys, but I haven't done it yet.
My Secret Santa sent me a 2" LOC Iris 38mm that will be perfect for that.

- Successful HP Staging or Airstart Flight
- Fly monthly (LP/MP/HP - anything!)
- Knock down the Kid's Estes build pile!

I have a few goals for 2022

Some of you have seen my thread over in mid-power (where I mostly hang out) about my dream of building a rocket that makes 5,000 feet. I literally came to me in a dream. I have never really been focused on altitude before so I don't know what inspired the dream, but anyway I'm making it an official goal

And some of you might have seen my Doorknob thread over in scale (the other place I hang out). It was slated to be my first electronically staged rocket. I've decided it may have been just a bit more than I can chew at this time (plus I'm still mad about the fins). Therefore, I am setting a goal of flying my first electronically staged flight this year with a sport rocket instead of a scale build.

In summary, goals for 2022 are:

1) Design, build and fly a mid-powered rocket to over 5,000 feet AGL

2) Build and fly an electronically staged, mid power rocket

-Bob

Many projects left to finish to include:

• Finish building a (stretched) 5.5" DX3 Massive
  • Ensure the integrity of my hybrid GSE
  • Put final touches on my large launch pad
  • Attend a couple local launches
  • Attend my first LDRS - always a tough goal to meet, without traveling a long way out of the deep south!
  • Build my Secret Santa rocket
  • Finish my Binder Design Raptor
  • Design a research load

Last edited:
3) Post here less
I miss you already.

Oh crap; I forgot we're not supposed to talk about mixes...
Maybe you'll be forgiven talking about what not to mix.
I tried liquid oxygen and dryer lint, but it didn't go so well. Do not repeat.

I haven't posted goals in a couple of years I think, and I gave up making new year's resolutions a long time ago, but here's one that's both goal and resolution:

Improve my flying skills.

I seem to be acceptably good at designing the outsides of rockets, pretty good at designing the insides and assembly procedures, and quite OK at executing the build, but really pretty poor at the flights themselves. Gauging winds, picking motors, tracking rockets until landing, all leading up to successful retrieval of an undamaged rocket. I loose too many and damage too many more.

I've acquired an Eggfinder GPS system (Christmas present that I requested) which needs assembly and packaging, and that will certainly help. Habituating the use of sims before flight day to pick and preprep motors will help. And I simply need more practice. So that's where my focus will lie.

Other things I'd like to do (build this, fly that, do something else, yatta yatta) are not worth enumerating.

Last edited:
Many projects left to finish to include:
  • Attend my first LDRS - always a tough goal to meet, without traveling a long way out of the deep south!
Are you looking into that Amtrak 2 day ride? or just shipping the rocket out and flying to LA? Omicron is spreading faster than a Brazilian prostitutes legs. It'll be interesting to see what shape public events are in by June

Wellllll... My biggest hope (as usual, I'm swinging 'way above my weight) is to persuade the utility that owns over 2 square miles of completely tree-free terrain at the hook of the Ohio River near the WV-PA-OH borders. Now get this - I don't even have an NAR or Tripoli membership yet; never flown with a club, and sure don't want to undermine any club sites and their attendant waivers. But man, this place is 15 miles from my house and unquestionably the HUGEST tree-free area I've ever seen in Western PA, bar none. Over 13,000 ft north to south and minimum 4800' east to west; down near the impounding dam it's a solid square mile or more of tree-free space. All the local clubs would be welcome to fly there; we could even multi-use with other sports and RC flyers, etc.

There are currently 2 drawbacks:
1. The site is currently under environmental remediation (fly ash settling pond). This could be an advantage as well, though; get in before all the decisions have been made.
2. I have flown over it many times coming into Pittsburgh International Airport from the northwest, so clearly it's a standard terminal arrival route (STAR). This could limit max altitudes and waivers...

Of course, some of the land is already leased to farmers, but we've worked with them before.
An advantage could be good corporate publicity for the utility, supporting STEM education and public recreation. The local schools would, I'm sure, love the possibility of field trips and hands-on-STEM activity; and you could launch a typical beginner rocket out there with virtually no possibility of losing it except for the tall grass, and criminee, we may be able to ask a farmer to help us with mowing or some such.

It's a long shot. But the benefits to Western PA and nearby WV, eastern Ohio rocketry could be tremendous. I've posted the pictures already but have a quick look... and PM me if you want to tell me to NOT do this or if you want to help this come to fruition, because I don't have a clue, though I could put a good presentation together for corporate types. I'm looking at you guys, PSC, Tripoli Pittsburgh, SHARC, etc.
20211212_161418.jpg20211212_161432.jpg20211212_161717.jpg

Google Maps link. These pictures were taken near the little turnaround at the end of Little Blue Road. The lake in the maps link has been drained; you can see some of what's currently left of it in the pictures.

Last edited:
1. Dive into 24 and 29mm reloads.
2. Fly more F/G motors.
3. Go for HPR L1 after 1 and 2 are complete since I now have a few rockets that can handle L1 motors.
4. Fly more LPR as well.
5. Finish my Saturn V.

Are you looking into that Amtrak 2 day ride? or just shipping the rocket out and flying to LA? Omicron is spreading faster than a Brazilian prostitutes legs. It'll be interesting to see what shape public events are in by June

Looking at packing the Silverado and maybe a trailer (not sure if I will buy one or not), and the wife and I making a 2-week cross country adventure. Omicron is the least of my worries.

Break 5000'. I know that's not much for most of you guys...
Sure, many have done it, but plenty more haven't. It's not something to be taken for granted, nor sneezed at. I haven't done it.

One question, though: why not round that up to an even mile?

Thanks Joshua! There is a (rather drawn out) build thread here if you're interested...

(1) Hypersonic glider... | The Rocketry Forum
Why have I not been reading that one? I must rectify that oversight.

One question, though: why not round that up to an even mile?
well... 5000' is a nice round number. 2000 meters is a nice round number too. Or even just 1700m.
5280', not so much a nice round number. ;)
My selected choices for these attempts are I284 or I132. Sims say I should blow past that mile mark with room to spare.

Shoot,

I just want to get back to launching. Been awhile but I'm widowed for 3 years and guardian to an adult mentally handicapped son. His behavior has improved so much since he got out of adolescence it would be zero problem to bring him to an overnight launch now. Running a household is work and I'm not a stranger to it as I had to take care of myself from age 21 to 31 before I got married.
Get the upstairs and downstairs workshops cleaned up and arranged and I'll be all set. They're both small and modest. Sanding and painting occurs in the upstairs garage shop and downstairs is for assembling in the winter.

Kurt

1. Build my 4" MAC Black Fly
2. Complete a high power scratch build
3. Build my first fiberglass rocket
4. Complete a successful dual deploy flight
5. Fly an I motor
6. Fly a sparky at MDRA

Last two should be easy. If I get two of the first four I'll probably be happy. I build HPR very slowly.

Accomplished three of these as of Saturday! Finished assembling the Black Fly on Thursday night (paint waiting on warm weather), flew it twice on Saturday at MDRA on a Loki I316 Spitfire and an Aerotech I305FJ. Zippered it a little on the second flight after it arced over into the wind, but it won't be too hard to repair. Three down, three to go.

This year, I hope to fly rockets. Maybe I can even make it to a club launch or three.

Stretch goal. Build something new.

Chuck, if one may ask, where are you headed with all this L3 experience?

(I meant, are you planning some big project in the near future? M-to-N two stage? Cluster? Inquiring minds want to know! :))

Best -- Terry

Sorry, I missed your post. I want to gain more experience. I took a little hiatus. I want more M and higher experience to be able to better mentor flyers. I do want to cluster and stage more but I will start by just flying more in general. I was pushed into club leadership and that drained a lot of flying time.

I am thinking of changing things in the coming month with our club. Level 2 flyers will now be required to RSO or LCO to fly.

I am thinking of changing things in the coming month with our club. Level 2 flyers will now be required to RSO or LCO to fly.
I think that's a very fair requirement, especially if you can get the time per shift down to 1-2 hours.

Up here in Canada, to become an RSO or LSO, you need to get your RI first, so I am working towards my RI at our next launch to be able to help out in the future in more capacities...

Back