Unofficial TRF Rocketry Goals for 2024 Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minimum diameter flight on a 1/2A3-4T at Fir Grove Grade School.

I tend not have high goals....

Hans.
I did a rocket project years ago for my son’s fifth grade class that concluded with a day of 1/2 A3 flights on the rockets they had built. First rocket launch for all of them except my son. They were absolutely mesmerized, and it is still one of my best memories in rocketry.

Enjoy your flight!

Minimum diameter flight on a 1/2A3-4T at Fir Grove Grade School.

I tend not have high goals....

Hans.

I did a rocket project years ago for my son’s fifth grade class that concluded with a day of 1/2 A3 flights on the rockets they had built. First rocket launch for all of them except my son. They were absolutely mesmerized, and it is still one of my best memories in rocketry.

Enjoy your flight!
I'm looking forward to a build/fly date in April at a local elementary school. I'm planning on bringing a cone/spool/spinning rear-eject monstrosity (build thread coming sometime), asking the students if it counts as a rocket, and then flying it on a D-something after they fly their rockets.

I'm probably biting off a bit more than I can chew, but we'll see.
  • Break the Tripoli H record
  • Break the Tripoli J record
  • Break the Tripoli M record
  • Get back into local low power flying
  • Fly some hybrids
  • Start making my own motors
  • Break the Tripoli M record again
Just a small, little list. ;)

Okay, I’ll bite.

1. Get L2.
2. I’m a returning rocketeer from many moons ago, so get new shock cords installed in the remainder of my fleet to make them airworthy (they are all dry rotted.)
3. Try out my new GPS tracker and get familiar with that.
4. Get amateur radio license.
5. Organize my shop.
6. Start construction on my new shop.
7. Finish my “plotter tube rockets” and then commence starting to try and shred them.
8. Play with JLCR and DD on my disposable rockets.

I have some other stretch goals for 2024, but below are the ones that I'll be super sad to not do this year:

1. Build fiberglass Madcow DX3 XL and fly on 54mm diameter motor.
2. Build LOC Magnum and fly first clustered rocket.
3. Build Estes Mongoose and fly first low power two stage rocket (never actually flew a two stage model rocket when I was a kid).
4. Learn more about radio tracking, and get "Technician Class" amateur radio license.

1. Fly my 10 motor cluster
  2. make a video a week on my youtube channel
  3. fly more Loki.
  4. finish all my mid-l1 rockets I bought/got over christmas (all but the punisher 3 are built, waiting finishing)
  5. Fly a hybrid
  6. Fly a 75mm motor
  7. fly my 54mm big daddy on a J motor
  8. Recover my 54mm big daddy

• Launch 10 DD flights (I finally found BP!!!)
  • Build the Wildman Punisher 3"
  • L2 Cert on said Punisher
  • Build LOC Wolverine
  • Prep design for L3 next year (maybe)
  • Build a clustered rocket - because the grownups have left and there's no one to stop me!
  • Launch more this year than last (stolen from @cwbullet)

You have to have more launches. we cancelled January.

1. Run for Tripoli BoD
  2. Support Tripoli by being an active member of the Records Committee
  3. Fly a sub-min N5800 boosted dart
  4. Fly a sub-min 6” P motor with student payloads onboard
  5. Cast more than 100pounds of propellant in 1 month for the first time
  6. Grow, support, and inspire my local rocketry club as incoming President
  7. Inspire local rocketeers at Seattle’s Blue Origin sites to grow their rocket club and make new local friends while I'm at it
  8. Host another group project(s) at my workshop
  9. Take a lathe course at my local technical college
  10. Give a meaningful and engaging presentation at TRATech 2024 (if you participate in EX motor making, you can participate, send me a PM or look in the Research Forum for details)
  11. Actually fly a rocket in Hamster Dance
  12. Teach a 8 hour technical solid rocket motor design course
  13. Coach the University of Washington SAC team to have a successful flight at SAC 2024
I have two more big projects to announce, one for NSL, and one for LDRS, but those will be their own threads when they are ready to be public.

It's gonna be a great year!

I want to amend/change my stated goals.

My new goal is to make some rockets that I'm not afraid to lose. I spend a LOT of time building even the smallest of my rockets, and I take pride in them. I just completed a dual build (yes, this is weird) of a LOC Forte and an Estes Starlight. I might have spent more time on the Starlight.

But I fly at 5 venues. One of them is a non-issue. If you use a tracker, you get your rocket back. The others are iffy. 300ft is safe, 700ft and you have about a 30% chance of losing the rocket. So.... Do I play it safe and launch low, or take a risk?

I built an Estes High Flier XL, but went full retard on it and added a baffle, and payload bay. Did the fins up right, paint was spot on. Spent 2 weeks on a rocket that should take an afternoon. Don't want to lose it.

However, I also have another one in the build pile..... Just glue the stupid thing together, don't fill the spirals, don't do squat to the fins. Spray it with no primer. Use the Estes rubber band shock cord. ..... And let'r rip!!!! If it disappears, so what?

I need to adapt this attitude. I think I will enjoy the hobby more.

Hans.

I want to amend/change my stated goals.

My new goal is to make some rockets that I'm not afraid to lose. I spend a LOT of time building even the smallest of my rockets, and I take pride in them. I just completed a dual build (yes, this is weird) of a LOC Forte and an Estes Starlight. I might have spent more time on the Starlight.

But I fly at 5 venues. One of them is a non-issue. If you use a tracker, you get your rocket back. The others are iffy. 300ft is safe, 700ft and you have about a 30% chance of losing the rocket. So.... Do I play it safe and launch low, or take a risk?

I built an Estes High Flier XL, but went full retard on it and added a baffle, and payload bay. Did the fins up right, paint was spot on. Spent 2 weeks on a rocket that should take an afternoon. Don't want to lose it.

However, I also have another one in the build pile..... Just glue the stupid thing together, don't fill the spirals, don't do squat to the fins. Spray it with no primer. Use the Estes rubber band shock cord. ..... And let'r rip!!!! If it disappears, so what?

I need to adapt this attitude. I think I will enjoy the hobby more.

Hans.
I have the same dilemma. The dry lake is a mean mistress. If I fly 4 I fix 3. Even if the landing is slow and soft if there is even the slightest breeze it will pull the rocket along the lake bed. When I get to it there could be broken fins and the rocket looks like I took 60 grit sandpaper to it. For awhile now I have only been flying rockets that have already been damaged in some way. A bunch of rockets will never fly there. And some will never fly anywhere. I've put to much time, energy and money into a couple dozen to risk flying them. I think your on the right track.

there seems to be three different kinds of rocket builders :
- The first one is people who have no concern on what it looks like. They just want it to fly.
-The second one is only concerned about how it looks from 10 feet away and just doesn't want to waste their time trying to make a museum piece.
-The third one is a person who wants to make a museum piece.

- The first one is people who have no concern on what it looks like. They just want it to fly.
-The second one is only concerned about how it looks from 10 feet away and just doesn't want to waste their time trying to make a museum piece.
I’m mostly 1 with a bit of 2.

Ps the first thing I thought after reading number one was @cwbullet

What about the person who wants to build the best rockets they can build, overall? Look beautiful with as close to perfect workmanship as their skills and resources support, and also fly awesome. And going to be flown, all the way.

Not sure where I fit on that spectrum. I try to get to near museum piece when I'm done building it. But everything gets flown and I'm not the least bit concerned about normal wear and tear, nor minor damage. I just really hate losing them. If I'm going to spend some 20 - 40 hours of build time, I want to fly it numerous times. Not just once or twice before going into a big tree or a pond.

If normal wear and tear get to the point that the rocket is pretty shabby, then I'll start taking risks with it. I have an Estes Top Shot that has seen better days. So I load it up with E motors and wave good bye. Except for some reason, it keeps coming back..... I call it the Junk Yard Dog.

Hans.

PS: I have an old Alpha III that I really don't like. I think it's going to a launch next weekend on a C6, or maybe a Qjet D20.

ok, I'm between #2 and #3. we have our grass landing fleet, lakebed landing fleet, and concrete landing fleet. can easily tell them apart by the fin damage and crummy field repair glue jobs.

ok, true confessions!

goals for this year:

maintain good enough health to travel and enjoy several club launches, and a couple regular private ones.

maintain health enough to sort through storage and distribute most of the unbuilt kits (300), supplies, etc. to good people. I think most of the (300+) built LPR can be donated to the club's kid giveaway.

keep building, girlfriend says there's enough in her garage for us to build something every couple weeks for the rest of the year. sheesh.

consequently, keep a better grip on my wallet, really don't NEED more kits.

edit: I don't have any particular total newton seconds goal, just want some. I have as much fun with LPR as MPR and HPR.

I have a couple rockets that I consider 'disposable'.
Has to be cardboard and plastic with single use motor.
That doesn't mean I won't spend the rest of a 3-day launch searching for it.

Back