SteelyEyed Gift for my TRF friends

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyEyed

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With help from a great friend, tonight I recovered some RockSim files that were lost years ago. I want to share this one with all my TRF friends. It is a BT-50 down-scale of my original Nuclear Sledgehammer design. Sure wish I had the down-scaled decal set to go with it. Hope it provides enjoyment for many. If you build one, please send me some action photos and share your enjoyment with me.

Wishing you all blue windless skies,
Steely

Attachments

• Nuclear Sledgehammer BT-50.jpg
    Nuclear Sledgehammer BT-50.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
  • @Nuclear Sledgehammer BT-50.jpg
    @Nuclear Sledgehammer BT-50.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BT50 Sledgehammer(1).rkt
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Got a file there, buddy? ;)
I will take care of decals for you Steely-Eyed since I have the two original Nuclear Sledgehammers I can actually recreate them almost exactly, if you don't mind of course. I was working on recreating them a while back and I could possibly finish them in a few days.

Last edited:
I will take care of decals for you Steely-Eyed since I have the two original Nuclear Sledgehammers I can actually recreate them almost exactly, if you don't mind of course. I was working on recreating them a while back and I could possibly finish them in a few days.
Yee ha! Since you're the guy that found my file, you might as well save my butt again... Thanks AGAIN!
With the decal set, I think I will build me one, with a display stand and put it on my desk at the Lab.

Last edited:
This rules. I always wanted an original; loved the way it looks. But this will definitely suffice! Maybe this'll give me the push I need to figure out how to scale things so I can try to make a BT-80 version for fun.

Yee ha! Since you're the guy that found my file, you might as well save my butt again... Thanks AGAIN!
With the decal set, I think I will build me one, with a display stand and put it on my desk at the Lab.
I found my file for the original either 5.5 or 7.5" that was WIP so just finishing up the roundels is all that really needed. As soon as I get that done I will send you a PDF for your approval then it can be posted to this thread. Maybe by Sunday evening.

This rules. I always wanted an original; loved the way it looks. But this will definitely suffice! Maybe this'll give me the push I need to figure out how to scale things so I can try to make a BT-80 version for fun.
The 7.5" versions ready to fly weight is 60lbs....of which 18lbs is the nosecone. The nosecone started out life as a Loc 7.5" plastic nosecone so it didn't weigh all that much to start with. Be prepared to add a fair amount of nose weight. A Estes Alpha nosecone would make a nice nosecone for a BT50 scale rocket as the original used a Loc 5.38" Short and the 7.5" used the same as the Loc 7.5" nosecone both of which are fairly short ogives.

I found my file for the original either 5.5 or 7.5" that was WIP so just finishing up the roundels is all that really needed. As soon as I get that done I will send you a PDF for your approval then it can be posted to this thread. Maybe by Sunday evening.
No need for me to approve, I saw the work on your full-scale version. It looked awesome.

The 7.5" versions ready to fly weight is 60lbs....of which 18lbs is the nosecone. The nosecone started out life as a Loc 7.5" plastic nosecone so it didn't weigh all that much to start with. Be prepared to add a fair amount of nose weight. A Estes Alpha nosecone would make a nice nosecone for a BT50 scale rocket as the original used a Loc 5.38" Short and the 7.5" used the same as the Loc 7.5" nosecone both of which are fairly short ogives.
I agree that would look better. It's been so long since I've seen one in person I forgot what it looked like.
Three things happen when you get old: 1) you lose your memory... and I forgot the other two.

Hello Steely,

Over a year ago, I was looking for a new project and came across this design and really liked it. I set about making a 5.5 inch version for myself that is documented sporadically here.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/subatomic-piledriver.176252/#post-2353114It has several changes but is definitely inspired by the N.S. I still have not flown it due to some health issues, but they have been resolved and once it gets warmer it will be among the first things I launch. I like your designs and am glad you are posting about them again. I am recently returned to the hobby so I was not aware of most of the history of these designs.

Last edited:
Hello Steely,

Over a year ago, I was looking for a new project and came across this design and really liked it. I set about making a 5.5 inch version for myself that is documented sporadically here.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/subatomic-piledriver.176252/#post-2353114It has several changes but is definitely inspired by the N.S. I still have not flown it due to some health issues, but they have been resolved and once it gets warmer it will be among the first things I launch. I like your designs and am glad you are posting about them again. I am recently returned to the hobby so I was not aware of most of the history of these designs.
Rschub,
Thanks for sharing the Piledriver story (I posted there too). It’s a beautiful rocket. To me it’s a compliment to know the Sledgehammer inspired your project. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Piledriver (and up-scaled version). Would love to see some pics and flight video.

Blue windless skies,
Steely

As promised on my part here are the graphics for the BT50 Scaled Nuclear Sledgehammer. The PDF has been compressed from big to much smaller (20mb to what it is currently), I can for those who are capable of receiving a larger file email you the larger PDF just contact me via the PM.

The numbering scheme for the Nuclear Sledgehammer Series appears to be based on the motor mount size the two I have are the XAGM-54C and XAGM-7C for the 5.5" and 7.5" respectively hence the BT50 version is the XAGM-18C. Some of the decals I made extras of like the roundels, only two are required and they go on the vertical stabilizer, there are two different roundels, one with and one without the letters "NS" on them. The USAF subdued markings are surrounded in a grey to make the whited visible against the background otherwise the white part vanishes, as they are only white and black. There are extra roundels and radiation symbols. Credit for the designs go Steely-Eyed as they were based off the original two rockets and the left over graphics from those that I used to recreate these. The roundel had to be entirely redone in the spirit of his original (see his avatar picture).

Attachments

• NucSledgehammer BT50scale-compressed.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • NuclearSledgehammerBT50scale.jpg
    NuclearSledgehammerBT50scale.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Back