Seeking Model Rocketry Group near Springfield, MA: Passing the Hobby to the Next Generation!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raughnbo

Reaction score
I'm excited to be getting back into my beloved model rocketry hobby after some time away. Back in the day, I enjoyed launching rockets with my children, and now I'm eager to share this incredible experience with my grandchildren. That's why I'm reaching out to this fantastic community for help!

I'm located near Springfield, MA, and I'm hoping to find a model rocketry group or club in the area. Being part of a group would not only provide a platform to connect with fellow enthusiasts but also allow my grandchildren to learn from experienced rocketeers and make lasting memories.

If you know of any model rocketry clubs, organizations, or even informal groups around Springfield or nearby cities, please let me know! I'm interested in clubs that cater to enthusiasts of all ages and skill levels, as my grandchildren are just getting started with this hobby.

It would be fantastic if the group organizes regular launches or holds workshops to learn more about rocket design, construction, and safety practices. I believe this hands-on experience would be educational and inspiring for my grandchildren, nurturing their curiosity and passion for science and engineering.

I'm open to any suggestions, advice, or personal experiences you can share. If you're part of a local rocketry group yourself, I would be grateful to hear about your experiences and any recommendations you may have.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and I appreciate any help you can provide in reconnecting with the model rocketry community near Springfield, MA!

Safe flights and blue skies to all!

You should look into CMASS. One of the top notch model rocket clubs in the country and pretty much the only thing I miss about living in the New England area. I flew with them from April 99 to April 11. But my move to PA put me to far out from CMASS.

You should look into CMASS. One of the top notch model rocket clubs in the country and pretty much the only thing I miss about living in the New England area. I flew with them from April 99 to April 11. But my move to PA put me to far out from CMASS.
Thank you so much, I will check them out!

Welcome to the forum @Raughnbo and thanks for looking into what clubs are near you.

CMASS does have launches scheduled from April through November with a bonus Winter Follies in January. While our name is based on Central Massachusetts, things have moved Eastward over the nearly 40 years we've been in existence. We use fields in Acton and Amesbury for our launches. We have a launch scheduled for 15 July in Acton; if you like, please come check us out. Keep an eye on the website for any messages or updates.

Currently we are holding our twice-a-month meetings over Zoom but it's still a great way to pick up information and ask questions about design and techniques. We have many member who live in your area and they will sometimes hold informal launches locally.

Glad to hear you are getting your grandkids interested in this hobby and I hope CMASS can be a part of that.

Welcome back to the hobby! It is fantastic that you are getting your grand kids interested in rocketry, it will always be something they will remember.
I will also recommend CMASS as a great club to launch with. My kids and I have been launching rockets with CMASS for close to twelve years, and I can say that they provide a wonderful family experience.
Here is a link to their website:

https://www.cmass.org/
And the unoffical FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/modelrockets

Welcome! CMASS is a great club. The other options relatively near to Springfield are CATO and RIMRA.

Welcome to the forum. I belong to CATO, which flys out of Durham, CT, about 45 minutes from Springfield, if I remember correctly. CMASS has two great fields. One in Acton, MA and the other in Amesbury, MA.

I'm located near Springfield, MA, and I'm hoping to find a model rocketry group or club in the area. Being part of a group would not only provide a platform to connect with fellow enthusiasts but also allow my grandchildren to learn from experienced rocketeers and make lasting memories.

Me and my wife live just outside Northampton. Like many of the commenters above, we're members of CMASS and I can't say enough good about the club as a flying community. While a more intimate setting can give your grandkids more hands on experience, attending a CMASS launch would be a real eye opener for them because of the variety of rocket types and sizes flown. On a typical launch day the club will have 200+ launches, so even if you just came to spectate, you'd have a full and interesting day. Our next launch is next weekend in Acton, weather permitting.

Between launches me, Deb, and our friend and fellow CMASS member, Scott Clement (who also lives in Springfield) occasionally fly in one of the Northampton Rec fields. We don't have any kind of "official" authorization, so we've been keeping a low profile... but to date it's worked out well for us. We've been pondering starting up a "Private" NAR chapter to simply help out with any flying field issues. But meanwhile, our casual launches have worked out well and they usually happen on Sunday mornings (now and then). I'm sure having you attend a launch could work out, if it's just you and a couple of grandkids.
If you're able to stop by the CMASS launch, come by and introduce yourself. I think we're the only ones on the field with a yellow canopy, so that makes us kinda easy to track down.

Latest posts

Back