Unable to obtain minitimer for our payload's recovery system. Any suggestions or replacements we should look into?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraQ

Reaction score
Hello,

My team and I have been working on a payload project where our recovery system needs to be delayed but a couple of seconds after it has separated from the rocket. We have been attempting to get our hands on a minitimer since the end of last year, and still have yet to find one for sale. With limited time, I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for how we could compensate the minitimer. We know making a timer is always an option, but we are unsure of how to start building one. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share any advice. Thank you so much!

What do you mean, "our recovery system needs to be delayed but a couple of seconds after it has separated from the rocket" That doesn't make any sense. The recovery event is what causes the separation of the rocket. What event do you want delayed? Is this a separate event from the recovery event? There are altimeters that can delay apogee events by a set number of seconds, but that doesn't sound like what you are wanting. Maybe run two altimeters, one for the apogee event and another timed for what event you want to occur?

What do you mean, "our recovery system needs to be delayed but a couple of seconds after it has separated from the rocket" That doesn't make any sense. The recovery event is what causes the separation of the rocket. What event do you want delayed? Is this a separate event from the recovery event? There are altimeters that can delay apogee events by a set number of seconds, but that doesn't sound like what you are wanting. Maybe run two altimeters, one for the apogee event and another timed for what event you want to occur?
Or run a Eggtimer Proton with multiple programmable outputs.

What do you mean, "our recovery system needs to be delayed but a couple of seconds after it has separated from the rocket" That doesn't make any sense. The recovery event is what causes the separation of the rocket. What event do you want delayed? Is this a separate event from the recovery event? There are altimeters that can delay apogee events by a set number of seconds, but that doesn't sound like what you are wanting. Maybe run two altimeters, one for the apogee event and another timed for what event you want to occur.

I think they mean that the payload’s recovery system needs to deploy a few seconds after the payload separates from the rocket. The rocket and the payload have their own separate recovery systems (I think).

I think they mean that the payload’s recovery system needs to deploy a few seconds after the payload separates from the rocket. The rocket and the payload have their own separate recovery systems (I think).
I was under the impression the payload was to separate from the rocket 6 seconds after apogee deployment to prevent payload getting tangle in other parts of rocket. My assumption was based on the OP's other thread.

I was under the impression the payload was to separate from the rocket 6 seconds after apogee deployment to prevent payload getting tangle in other parts of rocket. My assumption was based on the OP's other thread.

I haven’t read the other thread. In fact, I only clicked on this thread by accident. So you probably know a lot more about it than I do. I think in order to get good advice on the timer in this thread, they’ll need to spell out the exact sequence of all the events.

I haven’t read the other thread. In fact, I only clicked on this thread by accident. So you probably know a lot more about it than I do. I think in order to get good advice on the timer in this thread, they’ll need to spell out the exact sequence of all the events.
Agreed, a planned flight profile would help.

Back