TurkeyShoot, Las Vegas, Nv.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I was so busy with my L2 cert flight at Rocstock, I don't think I ever met Vince, but our kids were playing together and were having a blast( I was parked right behind him). Sorry to hear about your shred, that was a beautiful rocket.

Just got home (8.5 hours, solid traffic all the way!) but forgot the camera so no pics... EX day (Friday) had perfect weather but was a bit slow. There were some good flights, and the unfortunate shred of Hawk Pink. I was able to bum a couple of EX motors from Andy Woerner, flew his 54mm K700 in my 5.5" Nike Smoke for a great flight to 4852' and a 38mm J500 (estimate, seemed bigger!) in my Tethys for two great flights.

The wife said we had to leave at noon (or so) Saturday so I was only able to put in one flight today, the first for my Firestorm 54, "Bad Attitude". Flew a J138 to what seemed to be 7K or so but no ejection for drogue or main, it's still buried somewhere on the SW corner of the lakebed. :mad: If anyone finds it (yellow and black), please let me know!

Fun times, wish I could have stayed. But it looked like the wind was picking up...hope it was OK for everyone who stayed.

Barry

Barry,

It was good to see you again! I'm going to have to catch your Level 3 cert, so you'll have to let me know when you do it!

Your flights were awesome! Andy made up some nice motors too!

Sorry about your flight this morning. I was able to catch it, and the boost was pretty impressive! I didn't know it had come in ballistic.. :-(

The winds started to pick up about 2 or so this afternoon. We hit the road about 3:00 and after eating and gassing up, hit the road for the long haul about 4. A little over 4.5 hours in solid traffic later, we finally made it back to Riverside. Man, I thought the traffic was going to wait for tomorrow! Eh well, at least we're back! I'm looking forward to my next EX launch!

Thanks to David Reese for his help and for the motor! Man, that was an awesome load!!

-Chris

Yea, I flew one of David's K600-ish in my scratch AMRAAM 3. That was one heck of a flight, hitting 7,354 ft. Only landed about a mile or so away, but I was very gratefull to Andy of WhatsUpHobbies for lending me the RocketHunter. May not have ever found it!

Got my L1 today :) unfortunatly the timing of the pics from my camera where a bit off.
https://rockets.bushmaster73.com/pics/turkey_03.jpg
https://rockets.bushmaster73.com/pics/turkey_04.jpg
I was hoping to get a good pics at 5fps and I didn't follow the flight up because I wanted to watch my cert flight.

Sorry you forgot your camera at home, but the boost of bad attitude was great I'll look around for it tomorrow when I go back out there, I did find a motor casing tonight. If anyone kicked one that they didn't get back let us know cuz we might have it.

I'm pretty tired right now so I'll work on getting more pics uploaded tomorrow night....

Originally posted by Bushmaster
Got my L1 today :) unfortunatly the timing of the pics from my camera where a bit off.

Congrats on your L1 Bushmaster!

I got a launch pic (click for bigger):

It's a decent shot in terms of composition and so on. I must be doing something wrong, though, because all my launch pics seem to come out with blurry rockets!

Email or PM me if you want full res.

Can anyone tell me if JustRockets got my (now their) 1/4 scale bomarc rebuilt in time to fly at the launch? They're goal of a near total rebuild after it's initial launch at PlasterBlaster was ambitious at best...

I didn't see the Bomarc this weekend Todd. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just didn't see it.

We had a great time at Turkey Shoot yesterday!

My son, my Dad and I went (click any thumbnail in this post for larger):

My son made a couple of flights of his Big Bertha "Prowler" to complete his NARTREK Cadet Mercury level:

NARTREK Cadet flights are limited to C motors. So he made a third flight with a D13 reload:

That motor rips!

I flew my Excel on an I600 Redline using dual deployment for the first time. I got good on-board video, including the landing right next to Janet of RocketShots!

The wind came up pretty good around 2:00, but I had to get in one more flight. This time it was the Weasel vidroc on a G64:

I got some good frames of the chalk bundle bursting on ejection.

All in all a great day!

Thanks to Andy of What's Up Hobbies for the supplies, and LCOs Larry and Vince for help with the vidroc launch procedures.

More pics in a Fotki album here.

Great photo, Bushmaster! Thanks very much for posting it. Guess my sacrifice to the Rocket Gods was accepted. :D

Craig, those are some awesome photos- what camera are you using?

Good talking to you, Chris, and David as well.

Barry

only real problem with my flight was there was no rod on pad 5 when I went out to it. I'm too short to get it all on the pad at once so I put the rocket on the rod and put it all on the pad together. Didn't notice the angle the rod was at untill it was about ready to go, at witch point I just said "screw it, I'll drive". Good thing I'm kinda jaded to driving after my rockets to begin with out there :)

I've almost got my Turkey shoot page done, it's here

wow, thanks for posting the photos guys! wish we were there but man what a long drive for us. maybe see some of you at Lucerne in a couple weeks!!

Wow, I'll take the Image320 from Daveyfire

Email: [email protected]

all these picture that people are taking are great(bushmater, Craig Bosworth and daveyfire), I wished I still had my 5 meg pix cam, the wife lost it in New York at a "Cream" concert.

I was wondering if any hung around for the Night flights and maybe ( crosses fingers ) took a picture or two?

Gordon and I had a great flights ( Gordon flew Nitebow 1 and I flew NiteBow III), both had to be tracked over 3/4 mile and off the lake bed in 20 to 30 mph winds. The good news is both were found within 10 mins and thats was even over a ridge.

Can't wait to get "Nitewing" a 4" 6.5 foot Fiberglass night launch rocket, all in glow with Multicolored microprocessor controlled leds
and (5) 9 volt batteries. One supersized 54mm NiteBow!

oh no, babbling again :)

Does any one know who won the drawing for the Polecat Aerospace Thumper Jr, altimeter, and motor casing.

WEll, I did find one low res video.
too bad it's of the closure failure 38mm UFO launched :(
it small like 500k.

38mm UFO night launch,

oh it did go up not bad at first, the closure failed fractions of a second before burnout, but got to about 300 feet, then that nasty wind grabbed it and smash it into a trailer.

Well the good news is, it was still working and it will fly again, just never look the same.

Thanks to Tripoli Vegas my home away from home
and to Kendall Reed, it was his closure, don't just hate that!

Back