TurkeyShoot, Las Vegas, Nv.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Tripoli Vegas is proud to announce.

TS_06.gif

TurkeyShoot 2005
November 25th, 26th and 27th

Experimental Launch:
Friday 11/25 - 8am - 4pm
EX. Night launch - 6pm - 8pm

Regional Launch:
Saturday 11/26- 8am - 4pm
Saturday's Night launch - 6pm - 10pm
Sunday 11/27 - 8am - 2pm

Google_jean.jpg

for more info:
Tripoli Vegas
or
TurkeyShoot Page

Super BIG Raffle!
Don't miss out!
BIG and small we launch them all!
(3) day's in the desert, Nights under the STARS or were those Rockets I saw!!!

Since my daughter's 21st birthday is the 23rd, my wife has decided to take her to Vegas for the big day. I've convinced her to make a week of it by extending our trip to include Friday and Saturday at the Turkey Shoot.

How many participants do you expect?

Barry

"Since my daughter's 21st birthday is the 23rd, my wife has decided to take her to Vegas for the big day. I've convinced her to make a week of it by extending our trip to include Friday and Saturday at the Turkey Shoot."

We'll be glad to have ya there! and it will be the cheapest of all your days there, hahahahahaha

How many participants do you expect?

Friday maybe slower, it the day of hard core rocketeers and a few onlookers ( it's the EX day )

Saturday will be the best of all days, lots of rockets flying, and can draw up to 200 and 400 people, vendors will be on hand and alot of friendly people, porta-johns, just bring lots of water and some food, maybe a chair or two. I see you there! I'm coming for Augusta,Ga to be there. I can't wait!!!!!! Saturday night is NIGHT LAUNCH TIME!!!!!! yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:)

I'll be heading up there Thursday night on a full stomach. I can not wait, it'll be my first EX launch :) Any special projects been announced?

Hey Wolf - I don't know, I'll bet I can burn more $$$ at the vendors and on the pads than my wife spends at the slots or my "newly legal" daughter can drink :D At least that's my plan!

Need to talk to you about some lighting, need to finish up my night flight project.

Barry

I tried that once with my wife, I lost, my 500 dollars to her 1500 dollars, she started to play the $5 slot.

I hear a "P" motor maybe going up, just a Rumor, and someones trying to talk me into a N2000 or N4800 launch on my GravityKills rocket, but I have to think about the shipping cost first ( like 250 dollar, one way!!!!)OUCH. :(

Hey Barry, just drop me an Email, LEDS I have and their pretty good ones too! I have three rockets for Night launches:

38mm UFO ( saucer )
38mm min Dia rocket ( Sceam II) it can be dual staged 54mm to 38mm

and Hopefully ( working on it hard )
my new Performance Rocketry "Modified Mad Dog" with 60 LEDS in the Fins area and above to 10 in the nose cone and a NiteBow XL below that. Just working out the battery area vers. the C.G. and wiring. I can just see it going up Redline 54mm something or other.

somehow I just had to split the fins ( thor like ) then load up the LEDS with a foil background. the test was very promising.

maddogfins.jpg

and tis kinda lighting within

NB3_naked.jpg

that photo had to be done thru a heavy polarized lens to stop the glare and wack the brightness a bit.

boy did I just drift off or what, sorry :)

Hope to see you there!!! :):):):)

How high do you think the rocket will get before those lights get REALLY small......

Well that fact that I use multi LEDS, inside a diffused hold helps alot, make that dot not so little anymore and viewable from all angles too.

the first NiteBow ( only 12 LEDS ) could be seen from about 2 miles on a dry lake bed, but was only tested to 5200 feet up and was clearly visible at Ball's.

so I guess seeing is beleaving. :)

This NiteWing rocket will be seen for miles, and I hope UFO reports are called in, hahahahahahahahaha!!! hey it will be within 120 miles from Area51, Spooky.

I've been at college for a while and have not flown any rockets... but I plan to make it out to Turkey Shoot. Had a great time flying rockets and shooting the breeze with the KNOWLEDGEABLE EXers at Tripoli Vegas the past two years I've been there. Got a few motors to fly too... 3- and 4-grain 76mm max, nothing too big, but I've got a lot to fly... including a sparky or two...

See y'all there!

Ever notice how much people like Sparky motors?

Can't remember his name, but one guy from the Arizona clubs has a great Sparky Sugar motor. I really want that Formula.

Only 25 days left till TurkeyShoot!!!

everybody chant " No Rain! ", the last couple of years got a little damp, hey maybe the odds are now better, being Las Vegas.

just chant "dry", I'm gonna try to run down to Jean lake today to see if it's made any real progress drying. I'm really hoping it is considering I've new missed 2 months in a row for my level 1, as long as it doesn't rain between now and turkey shoot it just may be dry enough to get out on the playa and get that launch :)

Lake bed is dry, we have a prefect, and Scott will be in town. I'm not gonna have to wait any longer to finally get my L1 :)

My wife and daughter just left for Lost Wages, I'll be following in a couple days, just cleaning up some motor cases from last week (ROCStock) and preflighting the fleet today in preparation for the Turkey Shoot! Alas, my night flight project probably won't be ready in time.

I'll be out for Friday and Saturday. Any problem driving on the playa with a 2wd vehicle for long retrieves? I'm hoping to put up a couple of 10K and maybe up to 15k feet flights (waiver permitting).

One other bit of good news - spoke with Andy Woerner (What's Up Hobbies), and he will be making the trip out as well, new 40' shop trailer and all.

Barry

Be careful high-alt wise, keep a good line on it -- last year I put up two rockets to 10.7 and 10.5 and both ended up off the lakebed in the scrub brush around. But the lakebed is pancake flat (no ruts like at Lucerne so you can just drive out to get it) and the sky is crystal clear.........

I can't wait to use my new certs! Five days...

No worries - I have a tracking system (got to use it at ROCStock, you may remember me - got a main deploy at 9K on my 5.5" Nike Smoke, landed out in the foothills to the northwest edge of the lakebed at dusk on Saturday).

Congrats on the hat trick, and thanks for the info! See ya there -

Barry

The Tripoli Vegas club also has a rocket hunter tracker,
and so does Just Rockets Scott Ulrey, I'm most likely going to use one of those for a dual stage flight from a "J" redline to a "I" redline, and if I can it maybe at night. :)

unfortunatly my Jackass of a poker manager decided he wasn't giving anyone time off this weekend (but he's going on vacation) so I won't be camping out, I will hopefully be able to get back down to the lake for the night launch but he can't do a decent scedual so we have a serious lack of dealers on Saturday nights so I may not be back untill Sunday Morning. I will definatly be there during the days on Sat and Sun. I may try to make it for a little while on Friday but I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing that, getting out of the house for an EX launch without kids might be tough :(

The pics on my site and the Tripoli Vegas site are what the entire lakebed look like, it's nice and FLAT.

So who is flying what this weekend? I unfortunately don't have much going up at all, but am mostly going to check out EX day. I heard a rumor that someone is flying some sparkies on Friday. Also rumored that there might be an O motor or two..

Originally posted by SpartaChris
So who is flying what this weekend? I unfortunately don't have much going up at all, but am mostly going to check out EX day. I heard a rumor that someone is flying some sparkies on Friday. Also rumored that there might be an O motor or two..

We will be attending (Contrail Rockets) all 3 days. On Friday we plan to put up a Long Burn 75mm L Sparky Motor in a 4 inch Rocket. It will be around a 9-10 second burn motor! Hopefully a very impressive flight. Also, we will be looking at flying a few 38mm motors, including the new XXF/RFF Motors. Probably a H-650 or I-750 Motor in a PML Nimbus.

Depending on how long it takes to prep, and how ambitious I am, I may reload for another 75mm Motor in a Sparky/Black Gold Mix for a Dusk Launch.

Saturday and Sunday will be littered with a number of flights of our motors, in the 38mm and 75mm sizes. As long as everything goes right, another 75mm flight or 2 and a number of 38's will go up on Saturday and Sunday.

I hope to see you all there
Thanks
Tom Sanders

Hmmmm, very few daytime flights here.
maybe a "J" to a "I" dual stage flight.

most are saved for nighttime

38mm UFO on a "H" and "I" motors a few times
29mm Ghost rocket with a NiteBow on top, "H" or better
54mm to 38mm stager with NiteBow III on board
and one surprize, Muhahahahaha

hope to see you there, looks to be a clear and great weather days.

Originally posted by dbarrym
No worries - I have a tracking system (got to use it at ROCStock, you may remember me - got a main deploy at 9K on my 5.5" Nike Smoke, landed out in the foothills to the northwest edge of the lakebed at dusk on Saturday).

Congrats on the hat trick, and thanks for the info! See ya there -

Barry

Barry,

I met you while waiting in line to watch your Nike flight. Man, that was a great boost on that L motor!! Hope to see that one again!

-Chris

Hi Chris - No worries, I have two L730 reloads and a K550 for it, all packed up. I'm leaving in 30 minutes...see you there! :D

Barry

30 minutes? Launch doesn't start for 2.5 days!

You celebrating Thanksgiving up in Vegas?

Yep...go back to Pag 1 of this thread and you'll see why. ;)

See 'yall in a couple days...

Barry

Ahh that's right. Hope you all have a killer time! Win some money for more motors :)

Lots and Lots of Motors!!!!

Well I leave tommorrow morning for Vegas
everything is there and ready to go, Can't wait :)

Hawk pink II died today (EX), I was talking to Vince about it before the launch window opened. He flew it at rockstock on I belive an L, today he launched it on a M2000(?) EX red. The ejection charge fired before the motor finished it's burn shredding the rocket.

The Rocket

Vince loading the motor

Launch

just after shred

motor on the ground smoking

as far as other pics and flights, I was at the registration table for most of the time I as there so I didn't get much. Watched a few cool hybrids but no sugar had gone by the time I had to leave for work.

Should have more before work tomorrow.

Yea, but he definately won "Best Shred" !

I finally got to meet Vince this weekend, he's a great guy with a lot of fun stories to tell :)

Latest posts

Back