Today's Retirement Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Today after 21 years, 9 months, and 9 days, I'm retiring from the Air Force. Woooo hoooo!!!

Don't know what lies ahead (the Boeing job didn't come through), but can't wait to get "established" in some community and become planted.

It's been real, but it's time to move on . . .

ak,

What is your technical background? I know you're an AF pilot, but what is your training and credentials? What is it you like to do? I also recall reading that you've done COMSEC, so I know you're cleared up the wazoo...that alone makes you verrrrrrrrrry attractive in the DC area. If you have a resume, PM me and I'll give you an e-mail address to send it to.

Congrats and thank you for your service.

I'd give you a salute, but I'd probably do it wrong and that wouldn't give you the respect you deserve.

Yeah congrats. Like illini said, if you have a high clearance, you really should have NO problem getting a job in this area.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Yeah congrats. Like illini said, if you have a high clearance, you really should have NO problem getting a job in this area.

I know he wouldn't. I see job opportunities on the military and ex-military e-mail lists every day, and about half are in the DC/VA metroplex area, and another 40% are in Baghdad. The rest are scattered all over the world.

Aerospace - try Kansas and San Diego/LA.

WW

We have plenty of work for Human Factors Engineers here in Long Beach (C-17 program and other programs). I don't know if there are any open req's.

Originally posted by akpilot
Today after 21 years, 9 months, and 9 days, I'm retiring from the Air Force. Woooo hoooo!!!

Don't know what lies ahead (the Boeing job didn't come through), but can't wait to get "established" in some community and become planted.

Probably will be in the same place in three years myself, retiring at ~22 yrs service. Even though we haven't worked together, glad to have been a fellow airman all these years.

Good luck! Sure you'll find the right follow-on.

Originally posted by akpilot

Congrats, and thank you for your service! Good luck and best wishes for the future.

Congrats Ak. Long time in. My brother when he retires next year will have had thirty years in the RCAF. His only plans involve his Honda Goldwing and never seeing snow again.
Cheers
Fred

Guys, thanks for the compliments. We had tons of guests and the ceremony went off great. A few mistakes, but hey - nothings perfect. For my retirement gifts I was given a shadow box, an A-2 leather jacket, the flag, and a few other odds and ends. I'll have to post some photos later on today.

As for the job hunt, actually, I'm wasn't an Air Force pilot - just on the civilian side. I worked as a cryptographic accountant for all those years; making sure all of the codes/authenticators were secure and used properly. So I do have a current T.S. clearance. It had it's glory days in the '80s, because of things like the Falcon and the Snowman, John Walker, etc. But now I get the shoulder shrug when I tell people.

So I'm looking at changing careers and using my education (M.S. in Aviation Safety/Human Factors; B.S. in Aviation Safety/Business Admin.). I've got to tweak the resumes this week and start cracking down on applying for jobs more. I'm, half-heart trying to convince my wife in letting me apply for an airport manager job in Elko Nevada. I've been through the town (in the middle of Nevada) a dozen or so times. Not much there, but I figure if I purchase a plane - S.L.C. and Reno are only an hour, maybe two away. She isn't buying it. Coming from the green lands and rolling hills of England, she's said she's had enough of being told where to go. So we'll see . . .

Back