Military Retirement - Woohoo! no more Fitness Tests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I really would hate to move again. I have moved 17 times in 24 years. It is time to settle down.
Same. Sometimes we even moved twice at one duty assignment. We had on sell the house we were renting. Another was having to move into base housing because my position required it. We ended up with 19 moves in 28.5 years. The last time the Cols group called and said we need you back at Base X...the wife said "Good luck with that, I'll be here when you're done." Given I only had a short time to mandatory retirement and the possibility of a RIF, we decided to call it and stay put. I thought that was only fair to my wife.

Same. Sometimes we even moved twice at one duty assignment. We had on sell the house we were renting. Another was having to move into base housing because my position required it. We ended up with 19 moves in 28.5 years. The last time the Cols group called and said we need you back at Base X...the wife said "Good luck with that, I'll be here when you're done." Given I only had a short time to mandatory retirement and the possibility of a RIF, we decided to call it and stay put. I thought that was only fair to my wife.
Tell your wife thank you for her service. We thank spouses so little.

Got another job offer for nearly twice my current salary in Fargo, ND. The weather news makes that seem like a bad idea. The wife said hell no.
I grew up in Minnesota. We had a saying; Minnesota is great for winter sports 10 months out of the year; the other two months it's just too cold.

Question to military retirees: I am thinking about not doing a retirement ceremony. It is so expensive and my family could care less. I am not about personal glorification. I would rathe save the cash. Where am I going wrong?

Question to military retirees: I am thinking about not doing a retirement ceremony. It is so expensive and my family could care less. I am not about personal glorification. I would rathe save the cash. Where am I going wrong?
You're not going wrong, per se......but there is a leadership aspect to consider. Those troops that looked up to you, that followed you, that you counseled and lead to success (or out of trouble), that are modeling what a successful career looks like after your example, that believed in the WAY you lead an organization.......also often need some closure and an opportunity to celebrate the career accomplishments of the leader that you are to them.

As the command career counselor for SPAWAR for 3 1/2 years, I did 43 enlisted and officer retirement packages for other folks. About 1/3rd did not have a ceremony. 100% of them regretted not having one after it was too late.

The 44th retirement package that I did was my own. I did a ceremony, but on my own terms, since, like you I did not want one at all. After it was all said and done and my peer group made the ceremony more than I could have ever wished it could be, I understood what I said above in the first part of my answer......and now I'm glad that I had one.

Last edited:
I always looked at award, promotion and retirement ceremonies as something that was traditional and not just for the person in question. The ceremonies also showed all the troops the possibility of what they were also capable of and could do one day. The nice thing about it was there is no limit to the size and complexity of the event. My retirement ceremony was smallish (~50-60) people and was done because my mentor was also retiring and I asked her to retire me before she retired. I didn't know how much of an impact it would have on my children as they were a focus for me. The cost was negligible (way less than the cost of a Prusa Mk3 ;) ) because we did it in the office space during duty hours (right after lunch) and provided only snack type food and coffee of course.

I'm following because our church has a big retirement ceremony every year at our Annual Conference. It'll be my turn in a few years but I hate those things and always skip them because I find them worse than tedious. So far, I can't hink of a good reason to go.

Do it. My retirement experience was…less than optimal, for personal reasons beyond the scope of this discussion. But I didn’t have any observance and my feelings align 100% with what Banzai88 wrote.

Recently one of my former troops retired and I made the trip to the informal “after party”, saw most of the people who I’ve truly missed since I left over 4 years ago (the ones whom I have zero interest in seeing again, ever, weren’t there - nobody else missed them either 😉) and it was absolutely worth the effort. Just that little bit of closure was a very good thing.

I’ve attended retirement ceremonies that were “look at me” events. And I’ve been to others - the majority - that were a thanks for a job well done and a celebration of family. Those were the best ones, the simpler the better, with the retiree’s spouse, children, parents, etc as the focus rather than an account of the member’s “love me” wall and the fruit salad on their blouse.

Plus donuts, or cookies, or brownies or a sheet cake - one PC goofball had “healthy snacks” - yeah, that’s what retirement is all about raw broccoli and fat-free dip 🙄

Do it. My retirement experience was…less than optimal, for personal reasons beyond the scope of this discussion. But I didn’t have any observance and my feelings align 100% with what Banzai88 wrote.

Recently one of my former troops retired and I made the trip to the informal “after party”, saw most of the people who I’ve truly missed since I left over 4 years ago (the ones whom I have zero interest in seeing again, ever, weren’t there - nobody else missed them either 😉) and it was absolutely worth the effort. Just that little bit of closure was a very good thing.

I’ve attended retirement ceremonies that were “look at me” events. And I’ve been to others - the majority - that were a thanks for a job well done and a celebration of family. Those were the best ones, the simpler the better, with the retiree’s spouse, children, parents, etc as the focus rather than an account of the member’s “love me” wall and the fruit salad on their blouse.

Plus donuts, or cookies, or brownies or a sheet cake - one PC goofball had “healthy snacks” - yeah, that’s what retirement is all about raw broccoli and fat-free dip 🙄
I will probably do something. I am thinking of doing it during Memorial Day week in my home town of Grafton, WV. It will be 4 months after my retirement, but it would be more meaningful. Just family and friends.

I will probably do something. I am thinking of doing it during Memorial Day week in my home town of Grafton, WV. It will be 4 months after my retirement, but it would be more meaningful. Just family and friends.
Sounds like a solid plan Colonel. If you’re thinking of including a flag ceremony try contacting the 130AW in Charleston or the 167AW in Martinsburg - been many years since I worked with folks at either unit but the WV ANG has always had the reputation of taking care of their own.

USN retired in 2020 after 22 years. I'd recommend having a retirement ceremony focused more on publicly thanking your family and anyone else close that has supported you throughout your career.

Military wives and kids put up with a lot between multiple PCSs with stressful changes in work, schools, and loss of friends (and sometimes "for the needs of the service" moving to locations they really don't want to move to), long absences when the spouse is deployed or on TDY (and if its in a hazardous pay area the ever-present worry about the military spouse getting hurt or killed), military spouse working crazy long hours with a lot of accountability/responsibility and the stress that goes along with that....and often times brought home, hassles dealing with DoD health care, etc. etc. I've seen way more than one promising officer and enlisted career derailed by unsupportive spouses and family issues. Your family support is one of the reasons you had a successful career and in a sense they have "served"as well, but the system doesn't give them top performance appraisals and awards for backing you up. They may say "they don't care", but if you go out of the way to recognize them publicly it will be something they remember and appreciate.

I am not from a military background, but I figure I'll throw out the fact that people who meant a lot to me during their career were very celebrated during their retirement events and it meant a lot to me to say 'thank you' to those leaders. While the event may not mean much to you, it might mean a bit to those whom you directed and helped throughout their formative years. I have no clue why it would be expensive to you, as I would hope the institution and people who you helped would cover the event, but maybe its not that way. I can say for sure that every senior leader who retired and I cared about cost me $200-300 in event participation and/or personal gifts and every time it was a hugely positive investment after the fact. Great leaders who coach younger people are worth a ton to that younger person's life and giving them the opportunity to say thank you is cool. Obviously, you do you, but that's my civilian perspective.

Thank you for what you have done for all of America and for those of us on this little rocket forum!

Sandy.

Courtesy of our local radio station (I'm in VAB, Norfolk Naval Station is the largest naval installation and fleet concentration area in the world, so there's a lot of active, used-to-be's, and retirees here):

Courtesy of our local radio station (I'm in VAB, Norfolk Naval Station is the largest naval installation and fleet concentration area in the world, so there's a lot of active, used-to-be's, and retirees here):

That is just wrong but so right also.

3 Days and counting. To those non-military, I have spent nearly half my life in uniform. This is a huge transition. I have not worn the uniform in 3 months, but it is still a part of my life.

What job did you end up taking Chuck?

I will be the supervisor for the military disability section on Fort Gordon, GA. I am still negotiating my salary. They lowballed me with a salary less than 50% of the going rate. I have 24 years of experience. They are going to have to go a little higher.

Good on you not taking the first offer. I look forward to this day. I just hit 20 in March but have to do a few more years do to active duty service commitment for my PCS/Promotion.

I will be the supervisor for the military disability section on Fort Gordon, GA. I am still negotiating my salary. They lowballed me with a salary less than 50% of the going rate. I have 24 years of experience. They are going to have to go a little higher.
Wait. How can you be hired, and have a start date, but haven't officially agreed on salary? Usually that last thing has to happen before the first two things can happen.

Latest posts

Back