Well, it's been a week...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First off, this isn't a poor me, or hey, I need your sympathy. Just thought I needed to tell you guys. Most of you are people I'd have a drink with (sorry, not sorry, I don't like beer or Whiskey), but it'll be a week in the early, well, later than now, but sometime today morning...
My dad passed away last Saturday morning. I didn't really wanna talk about it much (kinda still don't), but it's been a little while. So...
My dad was a farmer, an athlete, an equestrian of some renown in two completely different disciplines of horsemanship, a Great dad to me and my brother, and a devoted husband sine 1961 to my mom. He was 82 years old, one month and day after his birthday.
He was always tough. We used to keep hay in a neighbor's barn a couple miles away from the home farm. Good barns were (still are) hard to find and small square bales take up lots of space when you have a busy stable with 40 to 60 horses. One day we were loading a hay wagon to take back to the stables. I think we had 6 of the 7 layers loaded. I always threw them out to the rack, and dad stacked. So, we're 6 layers up (which is probably at least 10 feet off the ground, when, as I'm throwing a bale out the barn door, dad catches a heel in a bale string and disappears off the wagon! Not only did he fall off the wagon, but he managed to land on the wagon hitch on his side.
Needless to say I was a bit panicked! So as I'm trying to support him, he says 'just let me catch my breath." Ok... so after about 5-10 minutes, he climbs back up to the top layer of the wagon, and we finish loading the hay. Turns out he broke 3 ribs! But still finished loading the wagon!
That's on reason why it was so hard to watch him get old. It wasn't just the aging, Dad was unfortunate enough to get one of those special diseases that no one's ever heard of, maybe @cwbullet has... Corticobasal Degeneration.
Watching my dad suffer from that was awful. But, such is the way of things. Once he was diagnosed, my NP aunt suggested that they move into a retirement/nursing home right away to establish routine patterns and be closer to Palliative care. Oddly enough, he outlived my aunt (mom's youngest sister by 5 years) due to her having pancreatic cancer.
So it's been a week. It sucks. But life goes on. I feel fortunate, I had all four grandparents into my mid 40's and still have my mom now (although her dementia is getting pretty bad). I took the 3 days off before thanksgiving to just mostly avoid work and help out around the family farm that my brother runs. Back to work Monday. :(

I have some of his stories from when he was a kid that he used to tell us. You guys might enjoy them :rabbitdontknow: we always did.
Anyhow... time to go to bed (way past, actually). Thanks for reading.
Adrian

Edit: I finally figured out the word I was looking for... :D

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that! Always tough losing a loved family member. But I’m glad to hear that you have such fond memories of him. Sounds like those will be the memories that will stick with you.

First off, this isn't a poor me, or hey, I need your sympathy. Just thought I needed to tell you guys. Most of you are people I'd have a drink with (sorry, not sorry, I don't like beer or Whiskey), but it'll be a week in the early, well, later than now, but sometime today morning...
My dad passed away last Saturday morning. I didn't really wanna talk about it much (kinda still don't), but it's been a little while. So...
My dad was a farmer, an athlete, an equestrian of some renown in two completely different (arrgh, what is word? genres?? varieties? forms? yeah, maybe that's it...) of horsemanship, a Great dad to me and my brother, and a devoted husband sine 1961 to my mom. He was 82 years old, one month and day after his birthday.
He was always tough. We used to keep hay in a neighbor's barn a couple miles away from the home farm. Good barns were (still are) hard to find and small square bales take up lots of space when you have a busy stable with 40 to 60 horses. One day we were loading a hay wagon to take back to the stables. I think we had 6 of the 7 layers loaded. I always threw them out to the rack, and dad stacked. So, we're 6 layers up (which is probably at least 10 feet off the ground, when, as I'm throwing a bale out the barn door, dad catches a heel in a bale string and disappears off the wagon! Not only did he fall off the wagon, but he managed to land on the wagon hitch on his side.
Needless to say I was a bit panicked! So as I'm trying to support him, he says 'just let me catch my breath." Ok... so after about 5-10 minutes, he climbs back up to the top layer of the wagon, and we finish loading the hay. Turns out he broke 3 ribs! But still finished loading the wagon!
That's on reason why it was so hard to watch him get old. It wasn't just the aging, Dad was unfortunate enough to get one of those special diseases that no one's ever heard of, maybe @cwbullet has... Corticobasal Degeneration.
Watching my dad suffer from that was awful. But, such is the way of things. Once he was diagnosed, my NP aunt suggested that they move into a retirement/nursing home right away to establish routine patterns and be closer to Palliative care. Oddly enough, he outlived my aunt (mom's youngest sister by 5 years) due to her having pancreatic cancer.
So it's been a week. It sucks. But life goes on. I feel fortunate, I had all four grandparents into my mid 40's and still have my mom now (although her dementia is getting pretty bad). I took the 3 days off before thanksgiving to just mostly avoid work and help out around the family farm that my brother runs. Back to work Monday. :(

I have some of his stories from when he was a kid that he used to tell us. You guys might enjoy them :rabbitdontknow: we always did.
Anyhow... time to go to bed (way past, actually). Thanks for reading.
Adrian
Im so sorry dude, really tough time to go through... keep your head up, it gets better, but never the same.

Peace

you did a great job talking about something you weren't ready to talk about!! it is hard. you are mindful and open to all of the many gratitudes, that is your superpower.

Thanksgiving Day marked exactly nine years....
Amazing how many families have this story. There's something about these winter holidays, holding on, one last get together... My GF hates December.

My mom died about 5 years ago.

Had to put dad in memory care about two weeks ago. Glad he had the resources to afford the type of care/attention he needs. He had his drivers license taken a few years ago. He can't tell time, doesn't know where he is, couldn't tell you his birthdate or age.

At least he can still recognize all of his family. After seeing this, I'm not certain how far past mental ability I want my physical health to last.

Sorry to hear. Hang in there! It looks like you've got the right attitude about it all. My grandpa sounds like your dad. He was still kicking ass right until he tipped over at 89. So fortunate we get to learn from those kinds of farmers.

Adrian
I’m so sorry..
I know I’m a bit late, I just saw this.
This simply isn’t an easy thing to process..
It sounds like your father loved you very much.
He is surly at peace now.
He’d like you to be as well..
My deepest condolences Adrian..

Teddy

Just saw this. Very sorry for you loss Adrian.

It's very tough watching people who were strong as an ox get old. My father inlaw was diagnosed with vascular dementia about two years ago. He ended up going into care in the week before Christmas.

Sad to watch them withering so quickly.

I am sorry to hear about your father's passing. No one can take away your pain. Thanks for sharing the story. Good barns are difficult to find and an art form to build.

I've been missing dad since October 2021. The process is strange for sure. There are times when I want to pick up the phone and call him to tell him about something cool and those times pretty much put me on the floor when I know I can't.

The somewhat upside is that with time, I know I don't need to pick up the phone to call as he and I are on as much of the same page as we ever will be again. Read that as religious or the antithesis of religion, I don't particularly care, honestly, as I'm still working through things myself.

Regardless of the above, every now and then I wake up remembering a dream where dad and I talked about or did a project. Those are simply stupidly amazing days.

Very sorry for your loss. It is hard. I miss dad. I am so happy when my brain either recalls or makes new memories, though.

Be strong for you and your family, Sir. The clock seems to tick faster by the day.

Sandy.

My dad passed away in 1994, age 73. There are many times I wish I could show him what I'm doing, be it rocketry or something else. Might have also been able to learn quite a bit more from him, or just share time together. He was the chief engineer (mechanical) at a packaging/printing company.

Last edited:
Back