On the other foot, The car from your past you miss the least!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon. Avacado green with the fake wood grain panels.
I was in an accident that totaled my car. The GF's father had this beast and signed it over to me.
I couldn't complain, the price was right. Free.
The car was however very much a dog. I hope all the dogs of the world will forgive me for the disparage.
This was the routine for any time you drove.
Get in the car, close the door and pray it will start. If and when it DOES start, refrain from being in a hurry and placing the thing in gear.
(edit) It mattered not the time of year, spring, summer at 113 degrees or winter at minus 25 degrees. Let it "warm up" for 5 minutes before putting it in gear.
If you didn't do that, the car would stall. Starting it again was a lesson in hopelessness. Don't try to restart it without waiting a full 30 minutes.
The car had vacuum driven wipers and they always ran slow, unless you romped the gas real quick, again, praying that it doesn't stall!
I was still in AP school so I removed the wiper motor, stripped it down to the basic parts and made all new seals and gaskets from thin leather. This helped quite a bit. For a short time.
After the GF and I were married we still had the same crappy car.
Living in Boise where the lack of hills was non existent, I was privileged to be on the receiving end of a quick push by Boise PD to get me off the roads numerous times.
One trip into Nampa to pick Mrs up from work we were half way home when we heard a big BANG!!! Everything seemed to work OK, so on to home to explore the issue.
Opened the hood, and find many parts of the battery spread all over the engine.
This was the last straw. I did not care what I had to do, I was dumping this car!
I took it to the scrap yard where the big sign our front told me they "PAID CASH FOR CARS!!!"
They should have had an asterisk on the end of that statement.
They informed me they did not want it. I explained that the tires were pretty new and had less than 5000 miles on them. "Give me $35 and it's yours."
"What part of we DON"T WANT IT DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND?"
OK, I am thinking how do I dump this piece of scrap metal.
"How much will you give me for the scrap metal price?" I ask
The guy looks at me , exasperated and states. "Give me $35 and I'll take it."
I gave him $35 and took the bus home.

1708559170474.png

Not my car, but this is the same example of it.

Last edited:
I LOATHED my 1977? 1978? Ford Fiesta.

Rusted out and long past done when I got it. Didn't keep me from using it a couple years longer. Driver's floor was so bad it got replaced by plywood, which rotted out again and got replaced by more plywood. Could see the road go by down near the gas pedal, slush came in during Winter and the throttle would get stuck. Brakes were either seized or useless, coulda marketed them as digital (one or zero, nothing in between). Everything leaked and the thermostat had a metric nut on one side and an English nut on the other. "World car" indeed...

It had a row of flags on the hatchback under the name - this was a reminder of the countries you had to call looking for parts. I'd post a picture but just imagine a handful of rust.

This is an interesting question, and kind of hard to answer, actually. I think of cars I've actually owned that I miss the least the Plymouth Champ (made by Mitsubishi) that was so forgettable I don't remember what year it was is probably it. It was my first new car purchase (I think ever) and it just felt like it wasn't going to hold together based on my experience with Mazda and Datsun/Nissan cars.

My father had a Datsun B210 hatchback that could barely get out of its own way and had horrible visibility that I certainly have no desire to ever drive again. That one was around when I was in high school. It did get great gas milage, though....

I was living in the big city in about 1978 when a big gas crisis hit. Gas stations were open just an hour a day, lines would form around the block, etc. I was driving a pickup with 454 motor. It was great to drive in traffic but it got worse than bad gas mileage. My father had bought a 1973 Datsun pickup from insurance salvage after it was recovered from a tornado. I sold my pickup and bought the Datsun. It was very basic- rubber mats, standard transmission, no fancy anything, I don't think it even had a working radio, but it got 26mpg. It would barely run 70 downhill with a tailwind. Little old ladies would run off and leave me from traffic lights and not even realize I was racing them. But it got 26mpg and got me to work. I don't miss that one.

When we moved to Japan and bought a car, we were deciding between a Subaru and an Opel at the same price. The Opel was cleaner, newer, and fewer miles. It was also from a dealer rather than an individual, so we knew the paperwork would all be handled properly. (Paperwork is very important in Japan.)

So we picked the Opel.

We'll never make that mistake again.

Whenever anything went wrong with the car, it had to be towed to the big city an hour away; no local repair shop wanted to mess with a foreign car. And a lot went wrong with that car. It destroyed two fuel pumps in two years! And of course any fix was way more expensive than the same fix for a Japanese car.

If we ever get a chance to live in Japan again, we'll get a Japanese car for sure.

I forgot, every Ford product I've ever owned. :p
I was always a Chevy fan, not a Ford fan, and remember my father owned an auto repair business so I worked on all brands. My biggest complaint about Fords was how the engines ran. Most of this changed when all cars switched to electronic fuel injection. I owned 3 different Taurus SHO. Of course those models of SHO didn't come with Ford engines, the engines were designed, some manufactured by, Yamaha. My last SHO had a failure of the automatic transmission, this in a car with low mileage. I had the transmission completely rebuilt and sold the car to buy the car I have now. The transmission failed again 1 month out of the warranty on the rebuild.tr

My father was a Chevy fan also but we had a lot of customers with Fords. They always bragged about their Fords and tried to convince him to buy one so in late 1970s he did. The transmission failed before it hit 10k miles.

Well any car can fail, hence the success of his business. Today I think overall Ford pickups are equal to Chevy pickups and Dodge pickups, buy what you like. I don't think I'll have a reason to buy another pickup but if I did I would consider Chevy first, that's just my preference.

I LOATHED my 1977? 1978? Ford Fiesta.

Rusted out and long past done when I got it. Didn't keep me from using it a couple years longer. Driver's floor was so bad it got replaced by plywood, which rotted out again and got replaced by more plywood. Could see the road go by down near the gas pedal, slush came in during Winter and the throttle would get stuck. Brakes were either seized or useless, coulda marketed them as digital (one or zero, nothing in between). Everything leaked and the thermostat had a metric nut on one side and an English nut on the other. "World car" indeed...

It had a row of flags on the hatchback under the name - this was a reminder of the countries you had to call looking for parts. I'd post a picture but just imagine a handful of rust.
I had a '78 Fiesta and really enjoyed it. The steering had very good feedback. However, I also had some pretty serious rust problems with it. I decided to sell after changing a tire at night, several states from home, when the rocker panel decided to bend right at the jack. I could sort of get the door shut after that.
I forgot, every Ford product I've ever owned. :p
How can you tell if you've ever owned one, then?

------------
The car I've owned that I missed the least was a '76 Plymouth Volare wagon iwth a slant 6. I used to say it was a Newtonian frame of reference: it couldn't go, it couldn't stop, and it couldn't turn. Flat out at 75 mph! There was nothing particularly wrong with the slant 6, if you put it in the right car, but this wasn't it. The stick shift tended to get kind of sticky and awkward and the linkage had to be cleaned now and then. The rust was pretty serious by the time I got it, but my parents gave me a really good deal. It was good if you wanted to take some junk and a couple of people somewhere.

'91 Ford Explorer. Worst vehicle I ever owned. It lived up to the F-O-R-D acronym - Fix Or Repair Daily!

1979 Bronco - I hit the barrels parallel parking for my driving test in both the front and back because the vehicle was so tall. You just could not see them.

1708604867899.png

1963 Ford Falcon. Underpowered 2 door sedan, 144 cu in inline 6 cyl, 3-on-the-tree. Mine was red.
It was a temporary car for about 3 months, after I totaled my MGB. Just basic transportation for a college student.

I remember that it had balding winter tires, which made a lot of road noise. Bought it cheap, sold it for about $100 profit.
Bought a '77 Datsun 280Z.

Last edited:
My early 70's Plymouth Satellite Custom. When it would run, I would pull into the service station and say, "Fill up the oil and check the gas." But, 1974-Plymouth-Satelite-RH41G4A217660-1.jpgit was a babe slayer in college in the early 80's! Those Frat boys in their 320i's had nothing on it!

My dad had a '68 AMC Rambler. We had to tie off the passenger side door from the inside. Although the door latched, the frame of the car would bend on a left hand turn... and the passenger door would fly open! Rust from road salt added to the cheap construction. It was white, but with more iron oxide than this stock photo. ;)

1708701695472.png

My dad had a '68 AMC Rambler. We had to tie off the passenger side door from the inside. Although the door latched, the frame of the car would bend on a left hand turn... and the passenger door would fly open! Rust from road salt added to the cheap construction. It was white, but with more iron oxide than this stock photo. ;)

View attachment 632150
Our first NAR section president had a Rambler station wagon. It was great for lugging rocketeers and club equipment around, but I never wanted to ride in it any farther than I could call to get ride home.

1972 Ford Pinto, the one with a trunk, yes there was that version. 1 barrel carburetor, smallest motor, 0 to 60 in 55 seconds (we timed it).
Once I tried to make a left turn on a wet road and did a 180, fortunately there were no cars coming.
It was painted bright red, I guess that was so that people could see it and not run into it. :rolleyes:

1972 Ford Pinto, the one with a trunk, yes there was that version. 1 barrel carburetor, smallest motor, 0 to 60 in 55 seconds (we timed it).
Once I tried to make a left turn on a wet road and did a 180, fortunately there were no cars coming.
It was painted bright red, I guess that was so that people could see it and not run into it. :rolleyes:
My father was considering buying a Pinto wagon in 1973. I talked him into an Rx-3 wagon instead. Thank goodness.

First. I like Fords. Never understood why it was fix or repair daily. Our current 2021 Ford Explorer ST is the best car we have owned. The 2018 Explorer Sport was the best car we had owned before the current one. In November we will get a 2024 Explorer ST. I have a 1994 Ford Ranger. It still runs good. It just had it's 30th Birthday this month. The worst car we owned was my wife's before I met her. It was a 76ish Honda Civic. I met her in 1980. We got married in 1982. I had to rebuild the engine in 1983. I'll never do that again. It started to die again in early 1984. When we went to get a new car we coasted into the Chevy dealership. When the used car manager got in to do a test drive we held our breath. It started. We bought a 1984 Caviler. The second worst car we owned. Funny thing is I started working at the same Chevy dealer selling cars in 1985. When we got orders for England in 1987 I put it on the used car lot. A guy who looked at it took it to a mechanic. He came back and told me one of the cylinders didn't have compression. I didn't know that.

1975 Ford Granada - 600 bucks cash. It had a 3 speed manual and In-Line 6 255 that ran on 5/6 most of the time. No pic, no thank you!
We called it the Guam Bomb since I was stationed in Hawaii. Probably weighed 5000 pounds. It played Peter Gunn every time you started it.
When my Navy buddies were riding in it and I put it in reverse they would say "underway, shift colors!" (The call of a ship when untied from the pier)
It was an awful Detroit post-unleaded low compression garbage motor. Those and low quality nearly killed the domestic auto industry.
This particular car was responsible for the made in Japan Mitsubishi Montero purchase. I was done with domestic at the time.
Domestics are very good now, but the trend of upsizing, high cost, and MPG down doesn't appeal to the wallet.

I was going to rant on super-sized hemi citadel journey minivans (terrify your family when you lose your temper lol) but that will turn this thread political - no go.

Cheers / Robert

1974 Ford Mustang II.........Bought that sucker twice. Once off the dealers showroom, then in parts and repair costs. Sludge of a car doesn't even begin to describe it.

First. I like Fords. Never understood why it was fix or repair daily. Our current 2021 Ford Explorer ST is the best car we have owned. The 2018 Explorer Sport was the best car we had owned before the current one. In November we will get a 2024 Explorer ST. I have a 1994 Ford Ranger. It still runs good. It just had it's 30th Birthday this month. The worst car we owned was my wife's before I met her. It was a 76ish Honda Civic. I met her in 1980. We got married in 1982. I had to rebuild the engine in 1983. I'll never do that again. It started to die again in early 1984. When we went to get a new car we coasted into the Chevy dealership. When the used car manager got in to do a test drive we held our breath. It started. We bought a 1984 Caviler. The second worst car we owned. Funny thing is I started working at the same Chevy dealer selling cars in 1985. When we got orders for England in 1987 I put it on the used car lot. A guy who looked at it took it to a mechanic. He came back and told me one of the cylinders didn't have compression. I didn't know that.
Reminds of an event that I had in one shop. A pilot with a Cessna 421 came in telling us his left engine was running slow. When we went out to investigate and opened the engine cowling the #3 jug had cleanly separated with the remains of the con rod and piston still inside the cylinder. Other than the couple hundred lower RPM the GTSIO kept running fine.

1981 Mercury Capri. When I got it there already was a lot of miles on it. It broke down around 10 hours from home with a timing belt repair needed. Wow what a nightmare!

Back