The TRF history thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you converted from pounds when you stepped off the scale. If you live in the US, you're stuck with US Customary* units, at least a little.

* Not the same thing as imperial. The biggest difference is in liquid volumes. The US pint is 16 US floz, as you know. The imperial pint is 20 imperial floz, which is (approximately) 19.2152 US floz. Other difference are less significant.

I remember in the Pubs I was in , visiting the UK for business. The Pint glasses and shot glasses had red lines on them that the Bar Tenders had to make sure always lined up on the line; no one getting shafted or over poured.

Actually, I don't understand: Why do you need to be 21 to drink in the States? You legally become an adult at 18, so why don't your laws just allow you to drink when you come of age?
Because your brain is not fully developed until 21 and so alcohol will still be damaging to it. Ps when can you start drinking?

Because your brain is not fully developed until 21 and so alcohol will still be damaging to it. Ps when can you start drinking?

I agree, and I got shafted in my state when I just was ready to turn 18 only 3.2% watery beer was allowed for us toddlers.

On my Birthday at 21 I walked into the state store on the way home to my wife and daughter ... and then never checked my ID. Kind of ruin the event , Hi Hi

Actually, I don't understand: Why do you need to be 21 to drink in the States? You legally become an adult at 18, so why don't your laws just allow you to drink when you come of age?

There are many things you can't do at 18 years that you must wait to 21 years; like buy a handgun.

Or rent a car until your 25 years of age... Unless your family has lots of money to add to your charge card to cover total destruction of the car.

Or rent a car until your 25 years of age... Unless your family has lots of money to add to your charge card to cover total destruction of the car.
But that one is imposed by rental companies, not law.

In point of fact, the brain is not fully cooked until considerably later than 21, so that's an excuse, not the reason. The reason was driving under the influence, and a lobbying group of busybodies called Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). They used their special wisdom and authority that comes from giving birth to pressure state legislatures into raising the drinking age, and finally to get Congress to cut off federal highway money to states that did not fall in line. I'm not saying that they didn't mean well, as most busybodies do. Their rhetoric also contained the unmistakable scent of "liquor is sin."

It's certainly true that young drivers get into more crashes than not so young ones, never mind that it's crashes involving alcohol and those that don't. And how many kids who want to drink at 18 are really unable to get it? The worst situation is having someone learn to drive - really learning, which comes after getting the license - and learning to drink well at the same time. So the law tries to separate those two learning periods.

But, imo, they've done it the wrong way, because you still end up with drivers who are just learning to drink. Better would be to allow drinking at 15, and standardize driving age at 17, so the learning to drink is out of the way before they get behind the wheel.

Their rhetoric also contained the unmistakable scent of "liquor is sin."
Okay, now I have to tell one of my favorite Catholic Church stories.

There was a monastery in southern Germany where the monks practiced a "beer fast" during Lent, where they would consume nothing but beer for the 40 days of Lent. It was not uncommon for monasteries at this time to brew beer to sell and support themselves. That's why monks are a common motif on craft beer labels.

Anyway, the monks experimented a bit with brewing until they invented the doppelbock. However, this delicious, nutritious beer raised a concern among the monks - did living on this during Lent really count as a penance?

To settle the question, they sent a barrel of it to the pope and asked him to try it. However, during the journey from Bavaria to Italy, the beer skunked. By the time it got to the pope, he declared it so disgusting that of course living on it was a penance, and so the beer fast practice continued with the new beer.

That monastery is now Paulaner brewery and that original recipe is still available as "Salvator."

1706228736686.png

Last edited:
I remember in the Pubs I was in , visiting the UK for business. The Pint glasses and shot glasses had red lines on them that the Bar Tenders had to make sure always lined up on the line; no one getting shafted or over poured.
Mind your P's and Q's.

In Arizona when I turned 18 that was the drinking age.
Shortly after it was upped to 21. Those who could already drink were grandfathered and could continue.
Very confusing for those checking ID.

20 in Japan.
What's the age of majority there in other respects?

In Arizona when I turned 18 that was the drinking age.
Shortly after it was upped to 21. Those who could already drink were grandfathered and could continue.
Very confusing for those checking ID.
In New Jersey when it went to 19 it was July 1, and I turned 18 on December 13. It went to 21 a year and a half later, January 1, so I was grandfathered by 18 days. I didn't learn to drive until I was 21, because I just had no need to until then.

(I'd been served before that, of course. The first time I was carded was at a political victory party. I walked to the bar, and the bartender said "I can't serve you" without asking for ID. So I got out my ID and showed it, he said "Oh, sorry. What do you want?"

"A glass of water," I said. He had the decency to look sheepish.)

In my youth it was 18. Many of us had been going to bars for some time when the age limit was raised to 21.
Funny thing is I had never been carded until I was 23 YO.
I was living in Pocatello, ID at the time and ISU was having a class/seminar on surgical contaminants or some sort of thing and since my mom was the head of CS and did 99% of the surgical instrument sterilizations, she attended.
She and many of the ladies that were attending invited me to dinner. I went and while every one ordered drinks, by the time the waitress got to me she demanded to see ID.
Compared to all the 50 to 60 year olds at the table I guess I dd look kinda young.

I looked this up many many years ago. It went from 18 to 32*, depending on the country / state / province.

Here in Quebec, it's 18 (but 21 for pot)
Ontario & BC is 19..

I believe the US has a range of 18-23

In France, it's not uncommon for 14 yrs olds to have wine at meal time..

*some Arabic or African country had 32 as their 'adult' age / age of consent.. thought that odd / weird..

Hold it! Is the US refusing metric a national security thing? If no one can read stolen documents then they are useless!! It’s almost genius… stupid but genius…

Go look it up..

I'm ambidextrous: I work in both. Canada is Metric, yet most of my suppliers & customers are in the US..
(And then toss in some 'industry standards: like sheet metal sizing [gauges vs actual thicknesses] pipe diameters, and wire gauges..

The US is one of three countries who use the Imperial system (US, Burma & Yemen.)

And here is an interesting story about how a Mars mission went terribly wrong:
https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-...mber of 1999, after,, i.e., the metric units!

https://www.britannica.com/story/wh...the U.S.,American jobs and consumer products.
https://www.google.com/search?q=why...ODQ3NWowajE1qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Go look it up..

I'm ambidextrous: I work in both. Canada is Metric, yet most of my suppliers & customers are in the US..
(And then toss in some 'industry standards: like sheet metal sizing [gauges vs actual thicknesses] pipe diameters, and wire gauges..

The US is one of three countries who use the Imperial system (US, Burma & Yemen.)

And here is an interesting story about how a Mars mission went terribly wrong:
https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-...mber of 1999, after,, i.e., the metric units!

https://www.britannica.com/story/wh...the U.S.,American jobs and consumer products.
https://www.google.com/search?q=why...ODQ3NWowajE1qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Let's not forget about the Gemli Glider
https://simpleflying.com/gimli-glider/

(And then toss in some 'industry standards: like sheet metal sizing [gauges vs actual thicknesses] pipe diameters, and wire gauges
I think it's safe to say that Canada is ambidextrous. All of the coworkers that I speak with almost daily in St. Bruno (just outside Montreal) go seamlessly back and forth, and not just for my benefit*. When I had to buy a pair of pants in a hurry in Ottawa, all the pants in the store were sized - waist and inseam - in inches. You're as likely to see printed material on letter size (8½ × 11 inch) as on A4 paper.

* Just this morning, in a daily team video call with seven people, me the only American, and French first language speakers being in the majority, one of said French speakers said (in English, which is the corporations official language) that the weather forecast for where he lives was for "about a half inch" of ice accumulation. I saw him gesturing on the screen and expected "about a cm", but no.

Hold it! Is the US refusing metric a national security thing? If no one can read stolen documents then they are useless!! It’s almost genius… stupid but genius…

It’s like the Navajo Code Talkers. We can openly discuss our plans on unencrypted channels, and it just sounds like gibberish to our metric enemies.

Back