The TRF history thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If morality is an issue:

go back & stop a few people crossing the Atlantic (1600's or there abouts.. certain people from Spain, England, France, etc..)

And / or [heavily] arm the Indians prior to their arrival..

maybe also take out a king or a Pope..
The vast, VAST majority of native americans died from European diseases, rather than European bullets. The Europeans cannot be held morally culpable for that as they did not understand at the time what they were doing. I've been reading "The Wager" by David Grann and Europeans still thought disease was caused by "bad air" in the 1740's.

The vast, VAST majority of native americans died from European diseases, rather than European bullets. The Europeans cannot be held morally culpable for that as they did not understand at the time what they were doing.
True BUT they were not very pleasant to the natives either. I mean they called them savages.

True BUT they were not very pleasant to the natives either. I mean they called them savages.
Depends on which Europeans, where, and when. The French had a reputation for peacefully trading with natives and one of the lesser-known issues that sparked the American Revolution was that the English rulers wouldn't allow the American settlers to expand west of the Appalachians, so they wouldn't bother the natives living there.

The first Spanish conquistadors also allied with a bunch of the Aztec's native enemies to take them down. Turns out that capturing people for daily sacrifices makes you unpopular with your neighbors.

Just saying there's way more gray here than most people give the era credit for.

Depends on which Europeans, where, and when. The French had a reputation for peacefully trading with natives and one of the lesser-known issues that sparked the American Revolution was that the English rulers wouldn't allow the American settlers to expand west of the Appalachians, so they wouldn't bother the natives living there.

The first Spanish conquistadors also allied with a bunch of the Aztec's native enemies to take them down. Turns out that capturing people for daily sacrifices makes you unpopular with your neighbors.

Just saying there's way more gray here than most people give the era credit for.
Never knew that always thought the Europeans and the natives almost never got along.

Ps for once history is happier than I thought!

Never knew that always thought the Europeans and the natives almost never got along.

Just to make sure you don't think it's too rosy, none of what I said is to say nothing crappy happened; the Spanish in particular could be brutal rulers and there were several nasty incidents of mistreatment of natives. And 19th century manifest destiny in the US? Oh yeah, that was a bad time to be a Native American.

Just to make sure you don't think it's too rosy, none of what I said is to say nothing crappy happened; the Spanish in particular could be brutal rulers and there were several nasty incidents of mistreatment of natives. And 19th century manifest destiny in the US? Oh yeah, that was a bad time to be a Native American.
Oh no I am not going to be visiting a native village during any of these times, To dangerous.

Consider that the "French and Indian War" was the British facing the allied French and Indians.

And on the subject of that war, it was started by an error that led to the British shooting first. That error was committed by a mid level British officer named George Washington. (My guess is that it would probably have happened anyway, sooner or later, and probably sooner. But that's a guess; I'm no expert.)

About 45kg converted from pounds in my head.

Ps yes I am 100 pounds.
But you converted from pounds when you stepped off the scale. If you live in the US, you're stuck with US Customary* units, at least a little.

* Not the same thing as imperial. The biggest difference is in liquid volumes. The US pint is 16 US floz, as you know. The imperial pint is 20 imperial floz, which is (approximately) 19.2152 US floz. Other difference are less significant.

* Not the same thing as imperial. The biggest difference is in liquid volumes. The US pint is 16 US floz, as you know. The imperial pint is 20 imperial floz, which is (approximately) 19.2152 US floz. Other difference are less significant.
I know that it’s way easier to say imperial.

Ps the uk looks nice…

Back