The TRF history thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He used a similar chemical weapon to what was used in WW1 to preform the holocaust. I have always wondered why he never put it in the V2. It’s obvious that it was not the Geneva Convention.
I don't think I've heard of Zyklon-B being used in WW1.

And putting a gas dispersion mechanism in a missile that would quickly dispense the gas over a wide before being destroyed presents an engineering problem they probably didn't have time or resources to solve.

I don't think I've heard of Zyklon-B being used in WW1.

And putting a gas dispersion mechanism in a missile that would quickly dispense the gas over a wide before being destroyed presents an engineering problem they probably didn't have time or resources to solve.
As I recall it was developed at the end and never put into service. And they had all of the time it took for them to make the V2 they could have planned from the beginning to use that sort of weapon.

If you had a Time Machine where would you go? But because batterie’s still never have enough charge for advanced technology you can only visit 3 places not including return.

If you had a Time Machine where would you go? But because batterie’s still never have enough charge for advanced technology you can only visit 3 places not including return.
History thread? Oh well, here's a history-based answer:

Trip 1: Ancient Rome with a big sack of food-safe salt to trade for an equal weight of gold.
Trip 2: Ancient Rome with another big sack of food-safe salt to trade for another equal weight of gold.
Trip 3: The far future. To acquire better batteries. ("No wishing for more wishes" my foot!)

I'm sure I could think of lots of other things I would like to see/do but these are the ones that came to mind in five minutes.

1. 1054 to mediate between Pope Leo IX and Patriarch Michael Cerularius and prevent the Great Schism.
2. 1517 to mediate between Pope Leo X and Martin Luther and prevent protestantism from taking off.
3. 1914 to tackle Gavrilo Princip before he can shoot the archduke.

Though if the Great Schism is prevented, that will alter the timeline so much that who knows if the other two would be necessary.

As I recall it was developed at the end and never put into service. And they had all of the time it took for them to make the V2 they could have planned from the beginning to use that sort of weapon.
The other problem with gas attacks from the air is that it has to be a gas that kills extremely quickly, otherwise your victims are just going to run away before dying. Remember they had to stuff victims into those cramped "shower rooms" and lock the doors to kill them with Zyklon-B.

3. 1914 to tackle Gavrilo Princip before he can shoot the archduke.
Have you considered that he will shoot you instead?

As for me

1 I will visit Albert Einstein and tell him about modern physics and take his ideas so I can get a noble prize.

2 a visit to 1851 and meet and do everything that you could do.

3 tell pope Leo XI that cerularius called him a idiot and stop the robot revolution that you started.

4 instead of going home I will go to the future get a recharge and find out what on earth is/was going on with human evolution.

OK, I get back home with my better batteries from the future only to find that they've secretly given me limited ones. And now I have enough gold. So:

1) Some time between 1980 or so and 1983 to attend a Stan Rogers concert.
2) 1778 or '77 to persuade Congress to give Benedict Arnold what he was promised and what he was due, thereby probably shortening the war, and surely cementing the reputation of (someone who should have been) a great founding father and hero of America.
3) The palace of Versailles in 1919 to keep the victorious allies' negotiators from effing up the rest of the 20th century.

Come to think of it, is expired cyanide that makes you sick instead of kills you really "bad?"
If your goal is to die, then yes.

If I had a time machine:

Go back about 30 or 40 years [1982 to be precise], and:
  • Give myself / my mum stock tips.. or buy a winning lottery ticket & anonymously gift it to her..
  • Threaten my younger self to pursue the career in architecture / to stay in school & apply myself!
  • Gift myself a Skyway TA or SE racing Quadangle!
  • Threaten my dad to move out of Quebec!! (Then we would follow..)
I could probably do all that in one trip.. stay for a month or two to get it all done with..

Oh, and see some 'classic rock' & punk concerts, for the price they should be! cheap!! And bring back a bunch of t-shirt to seen today as 'mint vintage'
And maybe buy a few boxes of hockey & baseball cards.. "mint, unopened cards.. potential Wayne Gretzki rookie card!!"

Didn’t @Antares JS do that already?
I prevented WW1 from happening in the first place, jqavins let WW1 happen but made the peace better. Not quite the same thing.

3) The palace of Versailles in 1919 to keep the victorious allies' negotiators from effing up the rest of the 20th century.
I'd be interested in specifics.

Didn’t @Antares JS do that already?
He attempted, in 1914, to prevent the war. I don't think that would really work. Europe at that time was ready to explode, and the way it did explode after the assassination of one heir presumptive to a throne is proof of that. If it hadn't been the assassination of the archduke, it would have been something else.

I'd be interested in specifics.
They are numerous. When you look at current conflicts and tensions, as well as some that are no longer current, and trace their origins back, it's shocking how many of those line converge on Versailles. Two big ones on which many specifics converge are the map of the middle east and the map of eastern Europe. Another is the price paid by Germany that allowed for Hitler's rise to power.

Personally, I would have let the 2 wars go on. Think of the technology & medical advancements we got from them (especially the 2nd) Rockets & jets would be years behind without it! No penicillin.. No nuclear..

Not to mention some of the great movies based on said war..

Korea & Vietnam on the other hand...

Personally, I would have let the 2 wars go on. Think of the technology & medical advancements we got from them (especially the 2nd) Rockets & jets would be years behind without it! No penicillin.. No nuclear..
The morality of exchanging tens of millions of lives for tech advances is dubious at best.

Fun fact:

If you were a man born in the Soviet Union in 1923, you had only a 1/3 chance of seeing your 21st birthday.

True, that is how it tends to go. War breed tech advances, and has since way before WWI. But if you had the choice to start (or decline to stop) a war for that purpose, I'm with AntaresJS on that one.

If morality is an issue:

go back & stop a few people crossing the Atlantic (1600's or there abouts.. certain people from Spain, England, France, etc..)

And / or [heavily] arm the Indians prior to their arrival..

maybe also take out a king or a Pope..

If morality is an issue:

go back & stop a few people crossing the Atlantic (1600's or there abouts.. certain people from Spain, England, France, etc..)

And / or [heavily] arm the Indians prior to their arrival..

maybe also take out a king or a Pope..
If you choose option 2 then remember to bring small pox vaccines.

Back