The Estes Goblin...why the number 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
I've chatted with Christine Swartz at Estes Customer Service today vai e-mail, asking about the history of the number 3 on the goblin fin.

At first, she responded with
I asked around and nobody know why the number 3 was important to the designer. The designer passed away several years ago so we haven't a clue.

Then came back with
I think the designer had 3 kids...Otherwise I haven't a clue.

Seems a fitting answer, three little Goblin's running around the house, but I was curious if anyone here might know the real reason?

Thanks to Christine Swartz at Estes for her input.

Thoughts?

The way I understand it, it's a printing mistake.

Way back when they did the designs by hand with ink and paper the graphics department would submit multiple samples to the advertising department to choose what to use in the catalog. Usually there were between 3-7 options. These were handed to the graphics design assistant, who would stamp them (you know with one of those big stamps that goes ka-chunk) with a different number at the bottom of the page. These were then passed along to the advertising assistant who would put them up on the light board for perusal by the senior advertising staff. They would mull over them for several days and finally one was chosen by number.

The chosen drawing was passed along to the printing company to include with the catalog and subsequently to create the decals. As fate would have it, a new advertising assistant had just started on the day the choosing was completed. The number 3 (which happened to have been stamped in exactly the center of the fin) wasn't removed from the artwork that was passed to the advertising company. Once the number 3 made it into the catalog, Estes was obliged to create the decals to match (we know how delicate the sensibilities can be of hobby rocket modelers when they can't match the decals to the artwork).

I can't verify the veracity of this explanation as it was passed along to me by the grandson of the best friend of the nephew of the mailman who's route stopped two doors down from the aforementioned advertising assistant. The assistant would regale the mailman with tales of his early days in the model rocket business.

The way I understand it, it's a printing mistake.

Way back when they did the designs by hand with ink and paper the graphics department would submit multiple samples to the advertising department to choose what to use in the catalog. Usually there were between 3-7 options. These were handed to the graphics design assistant, who would stamp them (you know with one of those big stamps that goes ka-chunk) with a different number at the bottom of the page. These were then passed along to the advertising assistant who would put them up on the light board for perusal by the senior advertising staff. They would mull over them for several days and finally one was chosen by number.

The chosen drawing was passed along to the printing company to include with the catalog and subsequently to create the decals. As fate would have it, a new advertising assistant had just started on the day the choosing was completed. The number 3 (which happened to have been stamped in exactly the center of the fin) wasn't removed from the artwork that was passed to the advertising company. Once the number 3 made it into the catalog, Estes was obliged to create the decals to match (we know how delicate the sensibilities can be of hobby rocket modelers when they can't match the decals to the artwork).

I can't verify the veracity of this explanation as it was passed along to me by the grandson of the best friend of the nephew of the mailman who's route stopped two doors down from the aforementioned advertising assistant. The assistant would regale the mailman with tales of his early days in the model rocket business.

Rainmaker, that's a great story. Mind if I share it with Estes, maybe it'll jar some memories with the staff there?

Third ship in the Goblin fleet? Third prototype used for the photo shoot? Or maybe no significance at all, the number was chosen randomly. For that matter, was does the "08" mean on the Starship Nova? What about the "220" in the 220 Swift? Or the "12" in the Extreme 12? It goes on and on...…...

Third ship in the Goblin fleet? Third prototype used for the photo shoot? Or maybe no significance at all, the number was chosen randomly. For that matter, was does the "08" mean on the Starship Nova? What about the "220" in the 220 Swift? Or the "12" in the Extreme 12? It goes on and on...…...

I know, but it's just a curiosity, having a big #3 on one fin and all...

...Starship Nova is the #8 ship in the squadron (random number picked, or maybe they wanted to do multiple numbers on a decal sheet, but it wasn't cost effective)?

...220 Swift the weight weight of the prototype...altitude on a 1/2A3-2t...number in the initial production run?

Who knows!?

:)

Jon

The number 3 is seen on other models as well. The Starship Vega/Super Vega. There was another that sticks in my head but I cannot remember the name, it uses decals similar to the Starship Vega.

Seem like the rumor years ago was that it was supposed to be a bat, but everyone put it on as a 3...

Three kids? C'mon. What number would you choose for a spook-themed hot rod of a muscle-rocket, decorated with winged rodents? Well, I'd choose the numeral that perfectly echoed the shape of said winged rodents! The shared rhythm of the bats and rotated threes is clear in this decal image.

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 2.57.08 PM.png

220 Swift I would guess is for the rifle cartridge, as mentioned by DGBrown. The first commercial rifle cartridge to go over 4000 ft/s, around 4400 IIRC. Wicked fast. Can't offer a suggestion on the '3' though.

Personally I'm not sure whether the instruction drawing is definitive here...it doesn't make any sense to have the 3 lying on its back. And if you look closely at that drawing, the perspective of the far fin with the goblin image is kinda whacked too. Estes catalog photos are no help; Estes used the exact same photo every year from introduction in 1973 until the original Goblin's last year in 1982. And that photo conveniently does not clearly show the orientation of the "3". A teeny corner is visible...to me it looks like it's inset far enough in from the tip chord of the fin to make it likely that the "3" is in the conventional upright position, but you can't be sure. The photo on the kit facecard has the rocket rotated differently and there is no "3" at all on the visible side of that fin, which is exactly where the drawing shows it, so they definitely don't agree. We may never know :)

Back