Sparky Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The examples, as far as I know, are:

AT:
F101T
G125T
G75J
G33J
G104T
G339N

CTI:
F120 Vmax
G250 Vmax
G126 WT
G88 SS
G118 BS
G106 SK
G125 RL
G131 SS
G54 RL
G83 BS
G50 Imax
G60 RL
G69 SK
G78 BS
G79 BS
G115 WT
G185 Vmax

Note that several of these are only in violation of the propellant weight restriction, which may change soon. Many are in violation of the thrust as well though.

Also, as far as "just skimming under the radar" goes, that's the whole point of the G80. It was designed to specifically be the maximum possible motor without exceeding any of the limits.

Is it just me or are Some of those motors OOP

as far as the G80T goes, I just wish it skimmed under the hazmat Fee :D

Is it just me or are Some of those motors OOP

as far as the G80T goes, I just wish it skimmed under the hazmat Fee :D

Some of those are OOP, namely the AT F101, G125, and G33. All others are still in production as far as I know.

Now "Young People" have to know where to look for it before they can look for it. And this young person can only type 5 WPM :rolleyes:

Since the G80T is Just under "HPR" motor classification, I can buy it?

so you want to see a kid buy a E sparky motor, take it to a park on a dry windy day, start a huge fire which spreads into a nearby housing developing, resulting in the government imposing more or total regulation of the hobby. The government is allowing nar/tra to self regulate the hobby to a degree, having to be hpr certified is the best way to limit the use of these motors to ppl who should know what they are doing. Its better than NAR and TRA not certifying any Sparky motor.

I agree with this 100%.

Just be glad there are sparkies in the first place. But unlike most motors, these pose a higher fire danger so I'm all for them being only available to certified, experienced individuals.;)

Now "Young People" have to know where to look for it before they can look for it. And this young person can only type 5 WPM :rolleyes:

Since the G80T is Just under "HPR" motor classification, I can buy it?

Google is always an excellent place to start. The NAR web site ( nar.org ), Aerotech ( aerotechrocketry.com ), Apogee (apogeerockets.com ) and the TRF Archive ( rocketryforumarchive.com ) have tons of information; you can also search TRF. 99% of what you're looking for can be found that way. For questions about a specific manufacturer's product, take a gander at their web site.

If you want to type faster than 5 WPM, then put down the iPaperweight and use a normal computer; should be a lot easier. Also, spell check.

It's classified as a model rocket motor, so it doesn't require certification. But, you might still need to be 16 or 18; I don't remember those specific rules. (My folks make all my rocket purchases on their credit cards)

Last edited:
That's exactly what confused me, it may not be an HPR/LMS/RMS motor but you still have to be 18 to buy it?, that just made no sence.

In the US you have to be 18 to purchase G and above, and to purchase reloads.
Apparently you need to be at least 18 years old to purchase any reloads in the US. On Apogee's website below their listing of Aerotech SU and LMS motors:
" *YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO PURCHASE THE G77, G78, G79 AND F27 MOTORS
Assembly of the F27, G77, G79 and G79 motors is required
To purchase and use the loadable motors, such as the F27, G77, G78 and G79, you must be at least 18 years old. This is a mandate by the government's Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The first time you purchase a reloadable motor from Apogee Components, you will be asked to fax or mail in a legal form of photo-ID (such as a driver's license) to prove you are at least 18 years old. Once you've proved your age, we'll remember your eligibility status for your future orders. To expedite your order, please fax your ID to us when you order. Our fax number is: [###-###-####]."
Above their listing of reloads for the RMS 24/40 motor:

YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO PURCHASE THESE RELOAD KITS.

and above their listing of reloads for RMS 29mm "Easy Access" reloads:

YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO PURCHASE "EASY ACCESS"™ RELOAD KITS.
Mark K.

OK, so back to the original thread. Loki G69s are cool, and smaller impulse then the metalstorm

This is my nuke pro maxx on one

nuke pro maxx on Loki G69.JPG

CPSC...just another agency of a VASTLY too large gubmint.
And yes, I do think rocketry should be INDIVIDUALLY (not by pseudo regulatory agencies of NAR, TRA, etc) regulated (just like R/C aircraft, which injure several hundred more per year than rockets), with individuals being held SOLELY accountable for their actions, with ZERO impetus on any potential future regulation. Do I think there should be any differentiation between LPR, MPR, and HPR ? No I do not. I quite frankly would prefer it to be a WILD-WEST FREE-FOR-ALL DO-AS-YOU-FREAKIN-PLEASE with absence of 99% of the regs, with the gubmint BUTTING-OUT TOTALLY and perpetually. They stick their snoots far too much into individual freedoms as it is.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. I guarantee you that you would have some people who hurt themselves, others, or someone's property. Regulation is not all bad, and as stated above, L1, L2, and even L3 certs are not difficult to get if you know what you're doing.

I wanted to point out the existence of the "no reload sales to minors" rule, but I didn't present any opinion about it. Back when I was a kid, A-C motors were more than enough for me (then, as now, access to fields large enough for anything bigger was a problem), but I realize than not everyone feels that way. There are some well-known under-18 members of TRF who have gained a great deal of knowledge by working at least part of the time with high power motors. But I doubt than any of those individuals did so alone, completely on their own; I believe that in every case, these talented young people received significant assistance and guidance from experienced rocket fliers who were adults. NAR's Junior Level 1 certification has the right idea; yes, you can launch rockets on H and I motors even if you aren't 18 yet, if an adult who has HP certification purchases the motors and supervises the Jr. L1. So if you are under 18 and really want to use sparkies, there's a legitimate route for you to do so.

Mark K.

And is there really any point in useing sparkies?, besides makeing it look rediculusly awesome?
"If you bring up tracking, that's what blackjack motors are for...

Neither smoky nor sparky motors are great for tracking, honestly, as tracking smoke quantity has no real correlation with propellant smoke quantity. The only real point to sparky motors is that they both look and sound incredible. And honestly, since this is a hobby, I don't need any more of a reason than that :D

Speaking of good looking rockets, what's that (I assume upscale Deuce:confused:) in your avatar cjl? What's it powered by? (Sorry if anyone's asked before)

It's actually fairly appropriate for this thread. It's my upscale Deuces Wild (as you guessed), which is 6" diameter, 6'6" tall, has a pair of 54mm MMTs, and is around 32 pounds loaded. That flight was from last July, at LDRS 28 in New York, on a pair of CTI Pro54 K675 Skidmarks. Here are some pictures of that same flight:

Me, the Deuce, and Jim Flis (he even signed it for me :D)

And the flight:

Last edited:
It's actually fairly appropriate for this thread. It's my upscale Deuces Wild (as you guessed), which is 6" diameter, 6'6" tall, has a pair of 54mm MMTs, and is around 32 pounds loaded. That flight was from last July, at LDRS 28 in New York, on a pair of CTI Pro54 K675 Skidmarks.

Cool. With the close up photos I can definitely see the motor propellant type. Why don't I get to have nice things?

Not quite sure if Ben ever got to build it but I believe I recall a thread about a 75mm deuce on the archive started by Ben

As far as I know, he never finished it (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

As far as I know, he never finished it (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

Hehe, he will come back to get you witha 98mm deuce :D

Ps, can I legaly buy a G80T motor? I am still confused

Dang!, I really had high hopes for a 98mm Deuce :( And why can't I buy a G80T?

Ben:
appears he asked only one question and made two statements.....
Did you leave a response out?

no - there is no 98mm deuce in your future
no - he can't buy a G80 T motor, and
yes - he is still confused.

yes, yes, yes and yes ;)

So why can't I buy a G80T?

PS have you noticed my new sig?

Last edited:
[/B]

Because they heard about you.....

Seriously though...it's just the law, that's all.

Never stopped SOME creative people from getting around it and launching stuff.....

Aerotech Single Use G-80-7T
Sale to Persons Under 18 Years of Age Prohibited by Federal Law.
Motor is very hot after firing.
Store in a dry place where temperature is between 45 degrees (F) and 100 degrees (F).
See directions for proper disposal method

Last edited:

PS have you noticed my new sig?

I would deffinitally like you to get me out of your signiture. You are to obnoxious and I have enough of my own problems let alone be tied to you. You can ask to use my name when you calm down and fly some rockets.

Thank you......

Ben

No but seriously, why can't I buy a G80T

Because it's illegal.
Because you're under 18.
Because there has to be a limit somewhere, and that's where it is.
Because asking 20 more times won't change a thing.

Back