• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted AMW K555SK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droopy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I might be searching for a unicorn, but thought I'd ask...

Wife is getting into HPR rocketry and doesn't understand why I like motors that do something other than white smoke. Was trying to describe some of the old school sparkies to her, but if I can get my hands on one, seeing is worth a thousand words?

Thanks!

John

The CTI K515SK 54-5GR is equivalent. Shows in stock at AMW/PROX.
What hardware do you have?
I've flown the CTI Skids as well as AT MetalStorm and Dark Matter for her. The old school AMW skid formula had a very unique roar as well as (I believe) larger titanium making it WAY more sparky.

It's been OOP for a long time, but every once in a while, one shows up. Just hoping someone has one left that they wouldn't mind selling...

(And in addition to the CTI hardware, I do have an AMW 54/1750 set of hardware for this motor. CTI does make Animal Compatible motors for this hardware (the K610 fits this hardware) but I believe it's just CTI's skidmark propellant. Someone tell me I'm wrong?)

Cheers,
John

I've flown the CTI Skids as well as AT MetalStorm and Dark Matter for her. The old school AMW skid formula had a very unique roar as well as (I believe) larger titanium making it WAY more sparky.

It's been OOP for a long time, but every once in a while, one shows up. Just hoping someone has one left that they wouldn't mind selling...

(And in addition to the CTI hardware, I do have an AMW 54/1750 set of hardware for this motor. CTI does make Animal Compatible motors for this hardware (the K610 fits this hardware) but I believe it's just CTI's skidmark propellant. Someone tell me I'm wrong?)

Cheers,
John
I still have my 54/1750 AMW case as well. I've used it quite a bit with EX loads.

CTI's Animal Compatible loads are the same as CTI's propellants. You're right that they aren't as robust as the old AMW formula.

I know someone with a collection of old HPR reloads, and I'll see if he has an old AMW 54mm Skid. Where are you located?

I still have my 54/1750 AMW case as well. I've used it quite a bit with EX loads.

CTI's Animal Compatible loads are the same as CTI's propellants. You're right that they aren't as robust as the old AMW formula.

I know someone with a collection of old HPR reloads, and I'll see if he has an old AMW 54mm Skid. Where are you located?
That would be great. I live north of Seattle...

I’d love to pick up an AMW skid if I could, those were my fav motors back in the day. The only thing that comes close on the commercial market is Loki Spitfire, but nothing else is even close, unfortunately..

I’d jump on one if someone has one out there, any size.

If you're unable to find an AMW Skidmark, A Loki Spitfire is probably the best current sparky motor out there. This was a Loki 38mm J396 a few years back just for reference :)

Attachments

• 44278796240_b603f8ff1d_o(1).jpg
    44278796240_b603f8ff1d_o(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
There are 2 speeds of skids, both AMW and CTI. The K555 is the fast and the 3 grain J230 is the slow. 3 K555 grains is a J333. Found out the hard way when Ken used K555 grains to make up my J230s for my Deuce. Much faster flight. The J333s only burn slightly over 1/2 the time.
J230s

then there's the K1000 skid, my absolute favorite one. A entirely different skid, fast and pound-in-your-chest loud.

Attachments

• westfield FD rocket.JPG
    westfield FD rocket.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
sorry, i'm not giving up any of my K1000. you will see one fly at LDRS...

Back