EVENT SodBlaster V Labor Day Weekend 2023 ( Sept 1-4, 2023)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
going to leave later today, will be there all day Saturday and half of Sunday!

Made to the hotel in the Tricities this evening. For a change, did most of my flight prep and motor loading at home this week. 10 reloadable ready to flight including 4 High power flights I357T, J135W, J570W, K456DM. Hoping the weather and winds hold out to get the planned flights off Saturday or Sunday Morning. Either way, looking forward the event and comradery. The WAC group project is already a highlight for my son, seeing if flight will be special for sure.

I flew on an F and a G motor on Friday morning and then came back in the afternoon hoping to buy a motor for my L1 flight. No motor vendors had yet arrived so a super friendly and helpful member Dale sold me an i205 out of his personal stash and gave me some last minute mentoring for my L1 flight. It went great. Thanks everyone who worked to make this event happen!!Screenshot_20230903_094534_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230903_095326_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230903_095219_Video Player.jpg

Many thanks to Rich, Dave, Tammara and the entire TC crew for another great launch! Thanks to Dale for witnessing our three students on Jr L1 certs.

Highlights:
The aforementioned students all earning their certifications on the first flight, including one going bold on an I345.
That awesome Aerobee flight
Personal peak altitude a little over 4600 feet on Stage-o-saurus
Flying just about everything that I wanted to fly with a couple of bonuses
The launch site crew worked really hard to make parking and registration as smooth as possible

Lowlight:
The Ingraham student project on 2x K630 motors suffered a rear closure CATO a hundred or so feet off the pad, resulting in the most unintentionally exciting flight of Saturday. It really showed how important the preflight "this is a heads up flight and I really mean it" announcement was.

Looking forward to next year!

Great flight Ken! How high did the rocket fly?
Not sure. Altimeter ran out of battery while waiting for the range to clear. I’ll have to wait to get home and charge it up to find out. The one thing I didn’t bring the charger for…
Great flight Ken! How high did the rocket fly?
1301 ft.

Not sure. Altimeter ran out of battery while waiting for the range to clear. I’ll have to wait to get home and charge it up to find out. The one thing I didn’t bring the charger for…

1301 ft.
Could you share the picture you took of me with Fluxion? I somehow managed to get a flight off with no glamor shots. Thanks!

As soon as I have the final stats for the event I will post them here and to various Facebook groups, while I don't think we broke last years record for number of flights we didn't miss it by much (less than 10 best guess) as my last count was 650ish flight at about 1.5 hours before we closed the range for the final time of the event. We had a fair number of flights after my count so we might or might not have hit the 682 mark of last year.

Camping...well lets just say the camping areas and day use areas were full, mostly full by Thursday night...and all full by Friday night, we even had to invent some overflow areas for people to be.

The field, the conditions this year were especially challenging since we had to limit traffic on the freshly planted fields, but the farmer did allow us access (he could have said no), we had 3 corn fields instead of 1 to the north and east, the south west circle had knee to waist high buckwheat planted on it and the south circle was planted in chili beans normally all of which is nice smooth low cut sod.....

To all of the volunteers who stepped up to help take down the range and wipe down and clean the rails thank you! With your help and the incremental tear down we started throughout Monday it was only 2 hours from the final flight to the time I pulled out of the parking area headed home.

The Wilson F/X launch controller....a HUGE shout out to Wilson F/X we few issues with the unit (all were actually cable crimps, one on a set of leads and one on a Anderson Power Pole connector), these were the first time these units had ever been used (NEW) and so a few little things like that are expected, however we caught all of them before the range was running and had ZERO downtime due to the system our system is currently two 4 pad wireless boxes, a 8 pad wire less box, and the 64X pad wireless controller. Our power supplies are Lead Acid type jumper packs (stanley being one brand) as they have built in chargers and a case the batteries are also replaceable all we do is cut off the alligator clips and put on an Anderson Power Pole connector.

To our many sponsor YOU GUYS AND GALS ROCK! Thanks to our sponsors SodBlaster V was a huge success!

Tinder Rocketry
Discount Rocketry
Dragon Rocketry
Front Range Rocket Recovery
Stickershock23 (so much drama and it was all USPS's fault, but the goods arrived on the Saturday of the event...whew!)
Eggtimer Rocketry
Missleworks
SBR Fusion Rockets
Aerospace Specialty Products
Additive Aerospace
OneBadHawk Recovery
Fliskits
MadCow Rocketry
Top Flight Recovery
Loc Precision
Lab Rat Rocketry
Loni's Sign Service
Basin Sod & Gravel

a number of these sponsors have been sponsors of Sod Blaster since the beginning to those we give additional thanks for being with us all these years and we hope for many more.

and of course NAR and TRA for being well... the national organizations we are chartered to!

A big THANK YOU to the TCR leadership (Dave, Tammara, Rich, William and more) and all their hard work to make Sod Blaster V happen!
It was great to see all the volunteers stepping up to help with everything. Both days that I attended I checked out the LCO sign up sheet and all the slots were full! Awesome! And there were many volunteers at the the RSO table as well. It was great seeing Rich hanging out at his own table doing rocket stuff. In the past he manned the RSO table for most of the launch. Great job RSO volunteers!

Sod Blaster was a great time, thanks to TCR for their tireless and selfless efforts to run the event, the sponsors and vendors for the goodies, and the participants for bringing some awesome rockets to launch.

Wish I could have stayed through Monday, but I'm still plenty tired from all the fun from the weekend. I promise this time it won't take me a year to get the launch videos made!

Patriot finally flew with its new 54mm fin can. I think it got dragged as far as it flew up. J-250 doesn’t have enough grunt to get it going. The solution is obvious, get a bigger motor!

Attachments

• 1A1E249E-3340-456D-8E7F-83EDF2C6EC5C.jpeg
    1A1E249E-3340-456D-8E7F-83EDF2C6EC5C.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 33C6EFEB-2DC7-42A9-BB24-8EC747FDA3C3.jpeg
    33C6EFEB-2DC7-42A9-BB24-8EC747FDA3C3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back