smallest gps that can run off of a small watch battery?? any exist??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UVU_Team_Rocket

Reaction score
Hey all, im looking for a small gps that i can attach to my jolly logic controller. I had a rocket motor decide to blow out about 1.5 seconds into the burn. Ripped appart my chute and shredded the shock cord. The rocket bidy, fins, and everything else is in perfect condition, even falling from 4500 feet. It was a LOC-IV. Anyway, i ALMOST lost my jolly logic but i decided not to use it. I am trying to prevent losing this tiny little thing and was wondering if there is a small gps or something i can attach to it so if it does somehow fall off, i can hopefully recover it.

thanks

I don’t think that they make that, all the GPSs are on computers that are made for E-bays, and I’m not sure that a GPS and antenna can run on that little power.

Hey all, im looking for a small gps that i can attach to my jolly logic controller. I had a rocket motor decide to blow out about 1.5 seconds into the burn. Ripped appart my chute and shredded the shock cord. The rocket bidy, fins, and everything else is in perfect condition, even falling from 4500 feet. It was a LOC-IV. Anyway, i ALMOST lost my jolly logic but i decided not to use it. I am trying to prevent losing this tiny little thing and was wondering if there is a small gps or something i can attach to it so if it does somehow fall off, i can hopefully recover it.

thanks
I have one of these cat trackers: https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-cat. $40. Requires a cellular connection, and a subscription. Works great.

You can make a tiny buzzer from a small piezo-electric unit and a watch battery, and then have it activated by a simple pull pin. I made several and simply had a slip of paper that was pulled out between the battery contacts by the shock cord. Some of the small units are very loud, but of course they draw more power. But if you only need it to buzz for 20-30 minutes until you find it, a couple of CR2032s would probably last quite a while with most buzzers. I also made several that used regular 9-volt batteries for bigger rockets.

You'd probably have to buy a bunch of buzzers unless you can salvage one from a discarded device. It needs to have a built in driver. You could also look on Aliexpress for something that would work.

Good luck,

Tony

You can make a tiny buzzer from a small piezo-electric unit and a watch battery, and then have it activated by a simple pull pin. I made several and simply had a slip of paper that was pulled out between the battery contacts by the shock cord. Some of the small units are very loud, but of course they draw more power. But if you only need it to buzz for 20-30 minutes until you find it, a couple of CR2032s would probably last quite a while with most buzzers. I also made several that used regular 9-volt batteries for bigger rockets.

You'd probably have to buy a bunch of buzzers unless you can salvage one from a discarded device. It needs to have a built in driver. You could also look on Aliexpress for something that would work.

Good luck,

Tony
A few years ago someone posted a 'How to' article in the NAR magazine for something exactly like Tony describes...

Refer to this post for a link/pictures from that article: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/smallest-keychain-security-alarm.179850/#post-2431809

Good luck,

Tony
LOVE THIS!!!! im gonna have to find this

Look up "VIFLY drone buzzers", there are some ready-made ones that are really small, loud, and cheap. I have one... I use it if I'm flying around crops.

I remember when Collins Radio came around with a GPS receiver in a van, and not quite enough satellites in orbit. They wanted us to start designing missiles with GPS units projected to be two to several cubic feet in volume.

They do make watches with GPS units, but I don't know if they can be easily interfaced with a controller or transceiver. A quick search will show you a lot.

Back