Rocket City Rednecks Jump the Shark, with very stupid potentially fatal accident.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find special effects guys [Mythbusters] playing scientist much more entertaining than scientists playing moron.

By this point, the RCR guys have just proven themselves to be reckless morons. A couple might have PHD's, but they are college-smart yet common-sense stupid. There's just no excuse for those K powered cars. Even "pretending" to be morons (and by this point, I don't think they are pretending), that was a line they should have known better than to cross.

And I'm just talking about the basic premise of firing K powered cars down a public road with an immediate curve and trees all over, at way less than the 200 foot safety zone (which of course "assumes" a vertically launched rocket, not a rocket car that can veer wildly and end up going anywhere, as happened). That does not even take into account what the result was, just how dangerous and stupid it was to do it in the first place.

If the producers wanted them to do that, well Travis is supposed to be the rocket expert and he's supposed to know what's safe (and legal), and what isn't. So he should have said no. Or "pretend" they didn't have the right motors, he's good at lying onscreen to the audience, so why not lie to the producers for the sake of safety, for once. When they do something dangerous and/or stupid, he has to take responsibility for it.

Heck, when Mythbusters had that cannonball accident, they had an on-air apology for it, and had a months-long review of their safety practices.

For RCR, it was "But some are safer than others", and that's it. No acknowledgement that they did something incredibly stupid and dangerous. As though it was a random "This test just wasn't quite as safe for some reason we don't understand - oh well - hey get me another beer" attitude.

And then after taking no responsibility, went on to blame solid rocket motors. Not blaming themselves for the entire set-up with overpowering wobbly cars (not even fixing the steering), down a curved public road, at far less than the safe distance for motors like that if used legally.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
From a legal standpoint, remember that production companies often secure permits for things that aren't normally permissible. It may be that the production company, or someone involved, has permits making what they're doing totally legal.

I'm not saying it makes it smart. I'm just saying that you don't necessarily have all the facts to determine legality.

-Kevin

Haven't most states adopted the NFPA regs with respect to rocketry? It would be interesting to contact the local fire marshall. IF they got a special permit to do what they did then I find it hard to believe that any sort of permit would be issued to do something so reckless.

What a bunch of morons! I cant blame you Scott last thing any motor manufacture needs is someone getting hurt with your product and get sued out of existence. Its because of dips**ts like these that the rest of us have to be regulated in the first place! I bet they had to clean out their drawers after that car flipped around and came back at them. If I was Areotech they would be publicly apologising for the misuse of their product on the next show and explaining the proper use. Or be facing a lawsuit.

TA

Haven't most states adopted the NFPA regs with respect to rocketry? It would be interesting to contact the local fire marshall. IF they got a special permit to do what they did then I find it hard to believe that any sort of permit would be issued to do something so reckless.
IIRC Alabama is an NFPA State.

At minimum they'd need a permit (or permission) from the fire marshal, and also permission from the local police chief or sheriff because they did that on a public road.

Also might have needed a permit (or permission) from the Forest Commission if any of the trees in range of being hit by those cars were on public land.

I wonder if the insurance company that covers the show's liability gave their blessings to do that on a public road with HPR powered cars that were sure to crash into woods or worse? Or maybe if the insurance company was in the dark, that company might have already had some intense calls Friday with the producers about such a dangerous stunt they didn't sign off on? There HAVE been some things that Mythbusters planned to do but the insurance company said no, so they didn't do it (such as a car stunt too dangerous for a real driver, so they did it remotely. Or some other modification of the original plan). But Mythbusters let the insurance company know in advance.......

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
SOME people around here just want to throw stones at the messenger... Oh well, I don't expect anything different, really...

Just as long as NOBODY gets between them and their @ss-clown fun, no matter how stupid or dangerous it is...

I've seen this attitude PLENTY of times when I've attended HPR launches... in fact, I've seen a LOT more of that sort of attitude than the "man that's a lot of power, and a complex rocket-- better double-check everything and make sure I've got all my ducks in a row" SAFETY FIRST type attitude...

That's why I for one WILL NOT allow ANY HPR activities on my farms, PERIOD, EVER! I'm REALLY GLAD there aren't any HPR fields within a 2 hour drive of me, either... because what I've personally seen, and what I've personally experienced, and what I've read about from incidents in our nearby area, across the state, and around the country, frankly scares the h3ll out of me... I don't want it ANYWHERE nearby...

The fact that people actually DEFEND this sort of BLATANT STUPIDITY is very, very telling IMHO... and it tells me be VERY glad these sorts of nutjobs are far, far away from me, my family, and my property...

Now back to the guys who think the "balloon boy" stunt was cute too...

Later! OL JR :)

Back to the title of this thread - Was this really a "jump the shark" move? I don't think they're done yet.

Back to the title of this thread - Was this really a "jump the shark" move? I don't think they're done yet.

"Jump The Shark" doesn't refer to the end of a show. It refers to the point where the show has descended to absurdity. The original reference is to Happy Days which continued for quite a while after the shark episode. RCR jumped the shark with it's first episode. it will continue until people get bored with it or they kill somebody.

"Jump The Shark" doesn't refer to the end of a show. It refers to the point where the show has descended to absurdity. The original reference is to Happy Days which continued for quite a while after the shark episode. RCR jumped the shark with it's first episode. it will continue until people get bored with it or they kill somebody.

You can't jump the shark in the first episode, you can only set the stage. Everything that has followed has been more of the same, they've yet to jump. I'm from Milwaukee, I know the reference.:wink:

As long as people on (fricken stupid) Facebook keep asking Travis for Safety Third T shirts, the show will go on..... It's all about the merchandise selling. I am (against my better judgement) a member of Facebook. I posted on their site about this show after Dan Y posted the thread link. I asked them directly how they are able to buy certified motors without being certified. I don't expect to get an answer. Mostly their Facebook page is full of people looking for aforementioned T-shirts. Great.

Adrian

This is the response I got. More of an evasion than an answer.

The Official Unofficial Rocket City Rednecks: everything we do on the show that requires an approval is always approved beforehand..thanks for your concern.
Yesterday at 10:23pm via mobile.

Oh well.

Adrian

We need a 'Rocket Wreck' to get the point across to the networks, etc. Like the insurance companies when they park a wrecked car on the corner with a 'Don't drink and drive' sign.
At the same time, as has been said, this crap sells and it's all about money..... I don't think we are going to be able to stop it until that wreck actually happens & they have to cancel the show.

If I can get past all the name calling it seems that the complaint is how RCR use rocket motors on their show. Rocket motors are a form of propulsion and can used in ways other than flying rockets. Is there a problem with that?

You have complained how their rocket flights are never successful because the recovery system fails; it happens at organized launches too. It must happen so much that one member of this thread does not want any HPR on or near his property.

At some point you question their authority to do the stunts they do and make assumptions without knowing any facts. You seem to think that they have to present their projects as if they were model rocketeers getting ready for a club launch. I don't think that their rocket stunts relate at all to the model rocket community and the common viewer is smart enough to know the difference.

Of course I am going to defend them, they have every right to do what they do with the correct permissions in place when needed. They don't seem to be breaking any laws and we don't get to see what goes on in the planning of the show. If you read one my earlier posts I said "if you don't like the show then don't watch it". I also made a constructive suggestion to point you in a direction to begin a change on how their show is presented.

I'm curious, does anyone have examples of a show such as this generating real world regulations or restrictions where none existed before?

I'm not talking about someone getting arrested for breaking the law. I'm talking about a 'saw this on TV, we should pass a law against it' type of event? Reality TV shows like this have been around for several years, enough time where something like that should have occurred by now.

I am seriously asking, because I don't know.

FC

They don't seem to be breaking any laws and we don't get to see what goes on in the planning of the show.

I think the issue is one in which NFPA regs are in place and they are obviously violating those standards. There's also the issue of them using motors for which certification is needed. So whoever is buying the motors has to be certified and is obviously not following the safety codes that they are supposed to follow once certified.

This is the response I got. More of an evasion than an answer.

The Official Unofficial Rocket City Rednecks: everything we do on the show that requires an approval is always approved beforehand..thanks for your concern.
Yesterday at 10:23pm via mobile.

Oh well.

Adrian

I saw your post Adrian...I went back to look again to see if anyone else wrote anything else and you may want to double-check, but I think he removed it from his page? I also wrote DOC Travis here on TRF and no response yet.

Last edited:
Coined and made famous by Jon Hein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hein

You can hear him hosting this week's Howard 100 "TV Cast Special"

https://www.siriusxm.com/howard100

He also hosts or co-hosts the Wrap-Up Show, Jon Hein's TV Show and GEEKTIME!.

GEEKTIME! is the best. Amazing guests and interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augmXCH6oUE

https://www.mygeektime.com/dev/

The REAL world.

Click REAL, up above if you can't see the link. Have a good night.

Look on the bright side. Cable show train wrecks can also help sell Bad Boy rocket motors. Look what the movie Blade Runner did for product placement. But in this case I think Doc Travis got the motors as a gift from his Grandma who bought them at a garage sale. Where are the Certification Police when you need them? Where was the Fire Marshal? Inquiring minds want to know. I want McGruff the Crime Dog to show up at these events and put the slap down on those naughty RCR boys! As a Law and Order Man I want the NFPA Regs enforced to the limit with the strictest interpretation and harshest punishment for those clowns! But please stay away from my secret back lot launches.

Ahhh, someday I will be able to afford and use those Bad Boy motors, but not until the Real World Pad Fuehrer at the club lets me because he requires an up to date certified membership card paired with a valid ID and a completely filled out and RSO signed flight card.

I just hope Loki, the Norse God of Mischief, doesn't show up to my back lot launch having shape shifted into my Grandma bearing gifts of K motors. But unlike Doc Travis I will remember the wisdom of Nancy Davis/Reagan and JUST SAY NO!

Look on the bright side. Cable show train wrecks can also help sell Bad Boy rocket motors. Look what the movie Blade Runner did for product placement. But in this case I think Doc Travis got the motors as a gift from his Grandma who bought them at a garage sale. Where are the Certification Police when you need them? Where was the Fire Marshal? Inquiring minds want to know. I want McGruff the Crime Dog to show up at these events and put the slap down on those naughty RCR boys! As a Law and Order Man I want the NFPA Regs enforced to the limit with the strictest interpretation and harshest punishment for those clowns! But please stay away from my secret back lot launches.

Ahhh, someday I will be able to afford and use those Bad Boy motors, but not until the Real World Pad Fuehrer at the club lets me because he requires an up to date certified membership card paired with a valid ID and a completely filled out and RSO signed flight card.

I just hope Loki, the Norse God of Mischief, doesn't show up to my back lot launch having shape shifted into my Grandma bearing gifts of K motors. But unlike Doc Travis I will remember the wisdom of Nancy Davis/Reagan and JUST SAY NO!

This post makes my head hurt. Does sarcastic sarcasm make it unsarcastic?

Daddyisabear said:

Oh, you mean the way the safety code says we are suppose to when we approach the RSO?

Daddyisabear said:

I'm not the wolf in sheep's clothing claiming to be something he's not. ;-)

Sarcasm or not, if a lady can sue McDonalds and win $160,000 for spilling hot coffee "ON HERSELF", I don't think I'm going to take any chances with something like a rocket motor.

If a rocket motor where a loaded gun, do you think the RCR guys would have done something differently. Uhhh yea. They would have done EVERYTHING differently. In the wrong hands, a rocket motor can be just as dangerous and that is what people see and think when they watch these imbeciles play with rocket motors. A high power rocket motor is not a toy and it should be treated as such. The average mother or father's first instinct is to ask themselves, can that hurt my kids? They no absolutely nothing about how hard or easy it is to buy rocket motors, and it only takes one to permanently ruin someones life if used irresponsibly.

This is why we have a safety code and why it should be followed. Until people understand that, they will never understand the importance of safety with rockets and they don't deserve a membership card until they do. JMHO

If you were to stick your neck on the line with your name & everything you own, to do something you love, enjoy and wish to do for the rest of your life, maybe then you understand why I feel the way that I do.

Well, if we have approximately 5800 NAR members then we need to get 5800 plus emails and form letters to Nat Geo, their parent company and who ever produced this crap. Will they listen? Better than ranting on a forum.

Daddyisabear said:
Well, if we have approximately 5800 NAR members then we need to get 5800 plus emails and form letters to Nat Geo, their parent company and who ever produced this crap. Will they listen? Better than ranting on a forum.

Ask and ye shall receive. :eyepop:

Check your PM's. I did my part. :) It's your turn now brother.
God love America and the freedom of speech.

Maybe when it's done, they can delete this thread all the negative image it brings us.

Fellow NAR & TRA club member,

Ahh the heck with it.
What's the saying? either lead, follow, or get out of the way. :)

Would someone like to take it from here, format and put this in a file or something and put it too work? I can't get it to attach.
I checked the bylaws and I don't believe I am breaking any this time.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recent broadcasts of Rocket City Rednecks have reflected an increasingly negative image of our hobby and our approach to safety.

We hereby petition for the removal of any & all hobby model rocket & high power rocket motors from the network broadcasts of NatGeo, The Discovery Channel, any of their related affiliates, and any likenesses there of, for displaying improper use of these products in an unsafe and dangerous manner and for unsafe uses other than that on the product instructions stated use. We request the removal of these and similar episodes from future distribution, and/or public or private broadcasts and request any future use of these products be done in a safe, responsible manner.

The following members of Tripoli Rocketry Association & the National Association of Rocketry, hereby endorse this petition and request an apology from the Networks.

Name / TRA# / NAR# / Certification Level

Scott Kormeier / 7764 / 92711 / Level 3

Recent broadcasts of Rocket City Rednecks have reflected an increasingly negative image of our hobby and our approach to safety.

We hereby petition for the removal of any & all hobby model rocket & high power rocket motors from the network broadcasts of NatGeo, The Discovery Channel, any of their related affiliates, and any likenesses there of, for displaying improper use of these products in an unsafe and dangerous manner and for unsafe uses other than that on the product instructions stated use. We request the removal of these and similar episodes from future distribution, and/or public or private broadcasts and request any future use of these products be done in a safe, responsible manner.

The following members of Tripoli Rocketry Association & the National Association of Rocketry, hereby endorse this petition and request an apology from the Networks.

Name / TRA# / NAR# / Certification Level

Scott Kormeier / 7764 / 92711 / Level 3
Matt Fletcher / 14257 / N/A / Level 0

Back