Rocket City Rednecks Jump the Shark, with very stupid potentially fatal accident.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a video on YouTube of someone riding a bicycle with an Aerotech I49 mounted on the back; it basically had only enough thrust to keep the bicycle from slowing down. Not really safe, but not quite as stupid as what these people were doing. And it seemed to have been mounted securely enough.

For those who missed it, here is a link to a video showing the 29mm tests, and then the idiotic "K" powered tests:

https://vimeo.com/55626828

Look at how that tree shakes when it's hit, and imagine a person taking that hit instead. Of course, the way those metal (steel?) pedal cars were mangled also gives testament to the velocity and impact damage.

Some have suggested the casings (and motor power) might have been bigger than what I said. Possibly so, but I didn't want to claim they were bigger than what seemed the smaller end of the spectrum in visual appearance.

Just curious... does NAR / TRA have a mechanism for revoking someone's cert level?

NAR and TRA can definitely do that, and can go as far as to revoke the membership of someone.

But I do not think Travis and the rest are members of NAR or TRA. But, I do not know that for a fact. So if Travis or anyone else is an NAR or TRA member, then the NAR or TRA should look into taking action in revoking their memberships.

I thought that one had to be a HPR certified member of NAR, TRA or CAR to buy a H+ sized motor (beyond the one needed to certify).
There is an exception for military, and universities. That might be how Travis gets his HPR stuff, under the guise of his teaching at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. I guess teaching his students things like how composite rocket motors are sticks of gunpowder, and how Alcohol is a "new" rocket fuel idear he had (never mind VonBraun, V-2, Explorer-1, Redstone, etc).

In any case, if Travis *is* getting those motors via the university loophole, then he's doing so illegally. Because those motors are not being used for any university rocket activities.

So, pretty much this: They are either illegally obtaining HPR rocket motors (the university exception is invalid for this, so if Travis is getting them that way he is committing fraud), or if they are getting them as HPR certified NAR or TRA member(s), then their memberships need to be revoked ASAP. Of course, they'd still get the motors, somehow. But they would not be linked to the NAR or TRA anymore (if they are now, which I doubt).

Hmmm, now, depending on how much truthfulness, versus how much "fiction" (lying) was going on about when they tried to fly at the SLI launch, then Travis might indeed be an HPR certified member of NAR or Tripoli. Because they claimed they were told in advance they could fly their 20 foot Gagarin-killer rocket (that later crashed, elsewhere). But you HAVE to be HPR certified to fly anything at the SLI launch. All the fliers there are university students, but the university loophole does not apply, they have to be HPR certified first (there were a few times when SLI students came down to Birmingham to make flights to get their HPR certs, and I was there when the Birmingham section had special launches to help them do that. So this is how I know this for certain). So, if Travis really did expect to fly at the SLI launch, he should have known he needed to be HPR certified and would therefore need to be an NAR or TRA HPR certed member to fly. But of course, the attempt to "crash" SLI might have all been a stunt for the show, that they never really expected to fly there, just get footage for the show.

Almost tempted to go to their Facebook page and ask if they are HPR certified. And if not, how are they legally obtaining HPR engines for their illegal activities.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Just wondering, how do you know it is not an EX motor?

As far as I could tell, we don't know.

After watching the "experiment" a couple times, I'm skeptical. The car that goes airborne and flies right over their heads looks like some "movie magic" to me.

"Almost tempted to go to their Facebook page and ask if they are HPR certified. And if not, how are they legally obtaining HPR engines for their illegal activities."

- George Gassaway

Please do, I'm curious as well.

"Almost tempted to go to their Facebook page and ask if they are HPR certified. And if not, how are they legally obtaining HPR engines for their illegal activities."

- George Gassaway

Please do, I'm curious as well.

Hey, I've been doing way too much on this one as it is. Any of the rest of you can just as easily do that. :)

As far as "EX", any time they have actually made their own motors, they've shown it. And the motors they made were more like sugar motors, for some smallish "fireworks" type rockets (when they did a 4th of July show). On the show, they have never made any composite propellant, and nothing that would go into casings like those. Others have noted in the past when RCR used commercial reloads, or other commercial HPR motors. Now in the case of the big hybrid for the truck, they did cast the "tar" fuel for the hybrid, but that was done under adult supervision and expertise (Tim Pickens).

So the chances that the RCR guys made EX motors for those pedal cars is about as likely as those two cars both making a gentle right turn on down that road, never running off the side.

After watching the "experiment" a couple times, I'm skeptical. The car that goes airborne and flies right over their heads looks like some "movie magic" to me.
May look too incredible to believe, but it was for real. If for no other reasons that simply they do not have the budget for special computer visual effects, and they have no need to jazz up a disaster like that.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just went in there and ask them about the show with the pedal cars and there was much discussion going on here @ TRF. Maybe one of them will join the forum and explain why they did what they did?

My FACEBOOK post

"There seems to be much discussion about last nights episode of you guys launching the metal pedal cars on the TRF forum. Some have concerns about what you used and why you used the motors the way you did and the stuff that you did seemed really dangerous not only to you guys, but to others..see link below:"

I included a link to this thread...lets see what happens? I actually posted this on a few FACEBOOK accounts pertaining to RCR.

Last edited:
Anyone remember what his (Travis) handle is here? I can't find it.

DocTravis i belive.

Also. Dan, i didnt see your post on the main RCR page.

Alex

If that guys a rocket scientist, I'm Albert Einstein:) They are so lucky someone didn't get hurt.

If that guys a rocket scientist, I'm Albert Einstein:) They are so lucky someone didn't get hurt.

That's everyone's concern here...I mean what they did was dangerous. irresponsible and very unsafe. I'm not sure what safety measures were in place, but they always seem to emphasize safety on their program and then they turn around and do this type of stunt. Not sure what the reasoning was exactly. I think if they were to do something like this and knowing how unsafe it is why not go to an airport runway like someone mentioned and maybe put the cars on some type of steel cable line to keep them going straight. I remember the old style COX funny cars that came with the gas motors. My brother had one that we ran down at the local school on some 1000lb fishing line...it was pretty fun.

Eventually somebody is going to get hurt or killed....and it may not be with something involving rockets. Just look at their attempt with a submarine. Once that happens the show will be over and we can all live happy ever after while learning from their mistakes.

Didn't Mythbusters get put on hiatus when they failed to calculate properly how a cannonball they were shooting would travel, and it wound up bounding through a residential neighborhood and over a freeway, or something?

Didn't Mythbusters get put on hiatus when they failed to calculate properly how a cannonball they were shooting would travel, and it wound up bounding through a residential neighborhood and over a freeway, or something?

Through two houses, ending up in a minivan

at least with mythbusters they are not engineers........I like that show because they somewhat use the scientific method when attempting to solve their probelms

UncleVanya said:
I agree that this reflects badly on the hobby to a small degree.

A small degree?

That's like saying to the NRA that the tragic school shooting in CT this morning reflects badly on hand guns to a small degree.

Fortunately for the NRA, they have something called the 2nd Amendment. Last I checked TRA/NAR has NOTHING of the sort to protect our ability to fly rockets or buy rocket motors. What do you think will happen the first time some crazy idiot gets a hold of a rocket motor and tries the same thing down his local street, flies it through a window setting the curtains on fire and burns the whole house down???? I guarantee the home owner will want somebody's head on a block! That that somebody will loose almost everything they have and that somebody won't be the idiot who lit the motor either.

People fear what they do not know. History is full of this. Most people don't know the first thing about flying rockets, rocket motors, or the mentality of the people who use them, but when they see scary crap like this on TV, what do you think that does to their perception of those of us who have rockets or rocket motors?

UncleVanya said:
I can't resist asking... why do you guys watch if you know this is crap?

Because the things they are doing on the show with rocket motors are EXTREMELY disconcerting to those who wish to see this hobby exist into the next decade.

We just went from needing LUEP's to buy HPR motors 2 & 1/2 years ago to having (words I can't say here) lunatics buying MP & HP motors and lighting them on a public residential road and people wonder "what's the big deal?" All we need is one bad accident, one broken rule/code/FAA waiver or anything of the like and we all will be S O L when we need LUEPs again &/or the national Orgs. can't get insurance because public perception and liability "risks" out weigh any history of actual safety.

Indeed Scott.
Whizzer is we pull that crap we get Bluelights real quick. Rightfully so I might add.
An Idiot with a TV show does it and makes folks like us look like Madmen.
I'm sick of this nonsense. I want to know why TV gives them the right to pull off unsafe crap??

What a bunch of morons...

I can't believe there are people on this forum who actually DEFEND these idiots... I have to really question the intelligence and motives of people who do.

I REALLY think that NAR/TRA should REALLY make it known publicly that all these @$$-grabbing stunts are just that-- they're illegal, break every code governing model rocketry/HPR, and are NOT representative of the hobby, the organizations, and are not condoned by them-- indeed the activities are condemned by the hobbyist community as illegal misuse of our hobbyist equipment. If any of these idiots are members of any of the national organizations, they should IMMEDIATELY be BANNED, PERIOD!

Sooner or later somebody's gonna end up buying a plot, or causing some REAL damage... Thank God these idiots are nowhere near me... because if it happened to my property or someone in my family got hurt, I'd end up owning a TV studio...

Now I can expect to get flamed by the "Oh, it's just @$$-clown good fun!" crowd...

Later! OL JR :)

Here is your flame...it is good fun.

I don't know what laws they are breaking. But then again I am a moron....

BTW, "Doc" Travis S. Taylor is the co-author of "The Looking Glass" series with noted sci-fi author John Ringo. I'm a fan of the "Two Gun Mojo". He's also written or collaborated with others in any number of sci-fi works.

Sounds like the Rocket City Rednecks may be a side gig that provides him with large amounts of quick cash compared to book sales.

Just saying.

At least they managed to look horrified when things went bad. Their insurance company must have made everybody really happy. When they were interviewed at the time of the accident they said they would never broadcast it. They did, with an apology, this year.

I find special effects guys playing scientist much more entertaining than scientists playing moron.

In the real world train wrecks sell cable shows - just look at all the publicity Honey Boo Boo received as child abuse. Even made CNN - you can't buy that type of coverage. In the real world it is easy to buy 3rd party high power motors and hardware, normal everyday folks show up with it at our club launches. In the real world it is fairly easy to build a motor in your garage and launch on your secluded country lane. Stamp your feet and complain loudly because that is all you can do. Do you or your special interest group have the money, power or jurisdiction to really cause change? In a fantasy world our consternation would be immediately translated into real Police Power to stop these clowns.

Looks like AT even received some product placement shots in the episode. Time to run down to the LHS and get some SU motors.

Back