Road to L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do! At the end of the day I’m still launching a rocket, just with a little more restriction. I’ll start studying the Jr. L1 now, I’ve been studying the L2 for the past month! :facepalm:

Oh sorry, I meant the L’s are out of my budget. I can afford them, I just don’t like spending that much money at once. I can earn my L1 motor simply by mowing my neighbors lawn, crazy how much they’ll pay a child for mowing a lawn as opposed to adults.
+1 my theory is that they don’t want to be accused of child labor

@tg08 just to let you know. I have been reviewing the Jr programs of both NAR and Tripoli...because a few of your posts contradict what I "thought I read". Here is what I read, today while at a family gathering.

* Age for Jr L1:
NAR 14-17
Tripoli 12-17

* as noted in a previous post. The Jr L1 test is NOT the L2 test for either organization.

* As you are less than 18 you are NOT allowed to handle the "energetics". Motors OR Black Powder. [Therfore flights need to be single deployment. Or if electronics are used they need to control servos, solenoids, hot-wire cutters, CO2 Valves, etc. NO Black Powder charges.]

* The flyer of record on the flight card is your mentor, you can be listed as the rocket Owner /Builder.

* you can not buy or possess H or I motors, or Black Powder (federal law). Your Mentor needs to, and only within "their" certification rating.

PLEASE carefully read the requirements / rules for Jr Cert of both NAR and Tripoli YOURSELF. DON'T rely on what others tell you (including me, or your mentor). [Everyone can make mistakes, or misinterpret something.]

NAR
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/formal-participation-procedure/
TRIPOLI
https://www.tripoli.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=795696&module_id=468986
Best wishes for getting your Jr.L1 Cert. Enjoy the process, and your advancement.

Yes, I am receiving parts now.
Scratch built design.
No, I'm still waiting.
Did you use OpenRocket or RocketSim to simulate your design?

I'm all for scratch builds (both my L1 and L2 were scratch, and neither were "low and slow"), but do make sure you do the design work as it'll help lead to a successful cert flight!

Ok, so I confirmed with who is now my official mentor, I am taking the Jr. L1 test. I’m somewhat relieved and disappointed at the same time, as the test should be easier, but I’ve been studying for a month for the L2 exam. Oh well, it’ll come in use if/when I take the L2 exam. Not sure if I mentioned it, but me and my mentor agreed that I’m not going to run DD for my cert flight(in fact I’m not allowed to), but make the rocket DD capable. I’m debating whether to use an altimeter to electronically deploy, as I am well read in that area of rocketry, but it would make the build somewhat more complicated.* We also agreed to glassing the airframe, just for extra durability since I’m not trying to break any records. That’s about all until Christmas break, when I start the assembly of the rocket. Also, here is the GPS electronics in the case.
*found out that's also not allowed

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, so I confirmed with who is now my official mentor, I am taking the Jr. L1 test. I’m somewhat relieved and disappointed at the same time, as the test should be easier, but I’ve been studying for a month for the L2 exam. Oh well, it’ll come in use if/when I take the L2 exam. Not sure if I mentioned it, but me and my mentor agreed that I’m not going to run DD for my cert flight(in fact I’m not allowed to), but make the rocket DD capable. I’m debating whether to use an altimeter to electronically deploy, as I am well read in that area of rocketry, but it would make the build somewhat more complicated. We also agreed to glassing the airframe, just for extra durability since I’m not trying to break any records. That’s about all until Christmas break, when I start the assembly of the rocket. Also, here is the GPS electronics in the case.
I agree that the test is super easy I think it’s just to get rid of people who can’t think past MORE POWER. and is that case 3d printed?

I agree that the test is super easy I think it’s just to get rid of people who can’t think past MORE POWER. and is that case 3d printed?
I think it should be there for all L1s personally.

Just glad there is no l3 written test, unless u consider the documents a test.

Unfortunate news, apparently LOC precision is overwhelmed with orders from Black Friday, so the package with all the goodies may be delayed from end of this week to sometime next week. I'm also considering cutting down my payload bay to reduce the size of the rocket, merely from the fact that I can't use redundant electronics to deploy my chute.

Unfortunate news, apparently LOC precision is overwhelmed with orders from Black Friday, so the package with all the goodies may be delayed from end of this week to sometime next week. I'm also considering cutting down my payload bay to reduce the size of the rocket, merely from the fact that I can't use redundant electronics to deploy my chute.
I wouldn’t cut it down you can use the electronics next time.

I wouldn't cut it down all the way. It's 34" which is quite large, so I might cut it down to 20". I do want to use electronics but I'm not sure if they are allowed for me. "The JrHPP Members certification flight and all future flights must be single deployment only. This is due to regulatory requirements of ejection charges used in dual deployment systems." It seems like it is prohibiting all deployment electronics, even a redundant charge at apogee.
Strange, what regulations I get plenty of BP no questions.

Strange, what regulations I get plenty of BP no questions.
Me too, the equipment manager at my club even gave me a vial of BP to work with. The RSO also cleared my mid power DD rocket for launch. Strange that there’s no regulations for MPR but there are for HPR. Maybe I’ll double check these regulations this Sunday at the launch.

I wouldn't cut it down all the way. It's 34" which is quite large, so I might cut it down to 20". I do want to use electronics but I'm not sure if they are allowed for me. "The JrHPP Members certification flight and all future flights must be single deployment only. This is due to regulatory requirements of ejection charges used in dual deployment systems." It seems like it is prohibiting all deployment electronics, even a redundant charge at apogee.
There is more to that section than what you quoted. It is pretty self explanatory.

"The JrHPP Members certification flight and all future flights must be single deployment only. This is due to regulatory requirements of ejection charges used in dual deployment systems. On board electronic devices are permitted as long as they are not used for deployment via pyrotechnic ejection charges (i.e., non-pyrotechnic chute releases are allowed)."

On a side note...I think the rules regarding this are absolutely stupid.

Me too, the equipment manager at my club even gave me a vial of BP to work with. The RSO also cleared my mid power DD rocket for launch. Strange that there’s no regulations for MPR but there are for HPR. Maybe I’ll double check these regulations this Sunday at the launch.
The regulations are federal and/or state laws that prohibit minors from using BP. It's not a rule made up by the rocketry organizations. The folks at your site are actually illegal if they gave you BP or allow you to use it for any flight, not just HPR. I would guess they know you quite well and trust your skill levels so they let you use the BP at their site. That probably won't happen for someone else your age that they don't know, or if you go to a launch site where they don't know you.

The regulations are federal and/or state laws that prohibit minors from using BP. It's not a rule made up by the rocketry organizations. The folks at your site are actually illegal if they gave you BP or allow you to use it for any flight, not just HPR. I would guess they know you quite well and trust your skill levels so they let you use the BP at their site. That probably won't happen for someone else your age that they don't know, or if you go to a launch site where they don't know you.
Hmm, we are a small tight knit club, I guess that’s why. I guess I’ll just wait until I’m 18 to use electronic deploy from now on.

Really I know for a fact that we can have guns and muskets are guns and so we should be able to get BP for our muskets (or rockets)

Ps can anyone quote the law?

THIS IS A "RABBIT HOLE" YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO DOWN. ESPECIALLY ON A PUBLIC FORUM. "TALK" TO AN EXPERIENCED PERSON.

I shoot Flintlock Muzzleloaders, so here is what I will say.

Black Powder IS a regulated substance. Their is an exception for purchase (by those over 18) for use in Historical firearms hunting, or historical reenactments. There are limits on how much and how often.

Purchase of BP for ALL other uses requires an explosives permit by "alphabet agencies".

Is this strange, YES. How much BP goes into homemade fireworks, rocket ejection charges, fuses, blanks, etc is unknown.

Don't draw attention to what your doing, the "alphabet agencies" are not out looking for people using a few ounces a year for personal applications.

[ Black Powder Motors are a product, and not raw BP, so have different laws.]

Last edited:
Back