Ringsail Parachutes, who makes em?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
I got a Ringsail chute from BJ at Bama Recovery a while back to use on my L1, however he sadly closed up shop before I could get two 36" ringsails for my Boyce Mercury Redstone (the real one used ringsail chutes). Does any other person make them? I'm a bit of a stickler for chutes matching rockets so I'd rather have the kit be a display than fly under a chute that would look "unscale-like".

Eh... I'd rather not use flat nylon for chute lines. Adds unnecessary weight to the chute and he's mentioned he won't be doing those for quite some time (not even sure BJ gave him the designs for that, they're complex to make).

Eh... I'd rather not use flat nylon for chute lines. Adds unnecessary weight to the chute and he's mentioned he won't be doing those for quite some time (not even sure BJ gave him the designs for that, they're complex to make).
You are correct. The ringsail is extremely difficult to design and make. I don't believe anybody in the hobby industry will ever be able to make accurate and functional ringsails. Each ringsail design is different and is based on the performance criteria. The mercury ringsail was a 10 ring/ 48 gore design. I have attached the gore design.

Attachments

• Mercury ringsail.PNG
    Mercury ringsail.PNG
    127.3 KB · Views: 110
A display it shall be then. My L2 didn’t go as planned last month so nobody saw my beautiful big blue and orange star polyconical I got from you (old kit nylon meets ejection charge and separates lol).

I’ve looked at making my own but I have 0 experience sewing, nor the extra room to do it.

I got a Ringsail chute from BJ at Bama Recovery a while back to use on my L1, however he sadly closed up shop before I could get two 36" ringsails for my Boyce Mercury Redstone (the real one used ringsail chutes). Does any other person make them? I'm a bit of a stickler for chutes matching rockets so I'd rather have the kit be a display than fly under a chute that would look "unscale-like".

I think he is only closed until after the first of the year.

Check out this amazing newsletter. This might be a great and low cost solution for that authentic look.

Attachments

• Newsletter485.pdf
    835.5 KB · Views: 85
There are some military surplus ringsails out there. Not cheap and limited sizes but...

Back