Recon Recovery Chute Repair?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jmuck78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conducted a deployment test on my LOC VII, and didn't protect the main chute sufficiently. The deployment test worked, but I now have a 3 inch burn hole in my Recon Recovery 60'' chute. I have some kevlar thread - and I'm thinking I can sew it with some kevlar thread. Has anyone repaired chutes this way, are there pitfalls I should now about or a right and wrong way to repair this?

IMG_7901.jpg
IMG_7902.jpg

Reaction score
Conducted a deployment test on my LOC VII, and didn't protect the main chute sufficiently. The deployment test worked, but I now have a 3 inch burn hole in my Recon Recovery 60'' chute. I have some kevlar thread - and I'm thinking I can sew it with some kevlar thread. Has anyone repaired chutes this way, are there pitfalls I should now about or a right and wrong way to repair this?

View attachment 381970 View attachment 381971
I wouldn't use the thread since it will change the canopy's shape a little. The ripstop tape works great but I would recommend a repair for long term. You can probably contact any parachute manufacturer and they should repair it.

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would guess WM might repair for you. Or see how the tape works out. If it works for man rated chutes it should work for your use.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, I would not worry to much about it. It is not a super expensive chute, it is ripstop nylon, and the performance loss is negligible. I simply use some nice duct tape (high speed rating for wind tunnel testing) on both sides of the tear.

SammyD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Talk to Preston at Top Flight Recovery. They repair chutes for a nominal fee, and can even recreate a chute if need be. Preston is quite easy to work with too :) S

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I would do nothing but make sure it’s wrapped in nomex for all subsequent flights.