Repairing a Skyanlge Chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
So I was a little negligent on a flight and did not properly protect a cert-3 drogue chute and now have a couple of burn holes in it and I want to repair them. I think they are roughly 1 to 2 inches across. Any recommendations on how to do this? Don't really have (easy) access to a sewing machine but it could be done...

I of course now have a chute protector...

-Dave

You can buy nylon patch kits as well. They essentially consist of ripstop nylon with an adhesive on it. Kits for camping sleeping pads can also useful, since those tend to be made of a very light ripstop nylon.

I have used Coghlan's Nylon Repair Tape for parachute repair. It comes with self adhesive patches of various colors. Cut it to size and apply front and back of the hole. Amazon has it.

This is the tape Fruity Chute recommends - I have been using it for a while and it works well. I have used it on SkyAngle chutes - so far, so good. Everyone elses' suggestions are most likely just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07456SBM4

I think that's what I got as well, probably from Fruity Chute's recommendation. 1/1 on repairs with it so far.

You can't see the small burn holes when the rocket is coming down so I've never bothered to repair any small burn holes in my chutes. I never had the holes get bigger or seen any change in decent rates because of them. I'll try to remember some of these suggestion in case I ever do decide to fix one.

Back