Recon Recovery Chute Repair?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmuck78

Reaction score
Conducted a deployment test on my LOC VII, and didn't protect the main chute sufficiently. The deployment test worked, but I now have a 3 inch burn hole in my Recon Recovery 60'' chute. I have some kevlar thread - and I'm thinking I can sew it with some kevlar thread. Has anyone repaired chutes this way, are there pitfalls I should now about or a right and wrong way to repair this?

IMG_7901.jpg IMG_7902.jpg

Conducted a deployment test on my LOC VII, and didn't protect the main chute sufficiently. The deployment test worked, but I now have a 3 inch burn hole in my Recon Recovery 60'' chute. I have some kevlar thread - and I'm thinking I can sew it with some kevlar thread. Has anyone repaired chutes this way, are there pitfalls I should now about or a right and wrong way to repair this?

View attachment 381970 View attachment 381971
I wouldn't use the thread since it will change the canopy's shape a little. The ripstop tape works great but I would recommend a repair for long term. You can probably contact any parachute manufacturer and they should repair it.

I would guess WM might repair for you. Or see how the tape works out. If it works for man rated chutes it should work for your use.

Meh, I would not worry to much about it. It is not a super expensive chute, it is ripstop nylon, and the performance loss is negligible. I simply use some nice duct tape (high speed rating for wind tunnel testing) on both sides of the tear.

Talk to Preston at Top Flight Recovery. They repair chutes for a nominal fee, and can even recreate a chute if need be. Preston is quite easy to work with too :) S

I would do nothing but make sure it’s wrapped in nomex for all subsequent flights.

Back