Power Tool Advice: Band Saw

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
My band saw, a very old Craftsman that was purchased at an estate sale for a miserly sum, is not keeping the band on very well. I think it is now more of a hazard to operate.

Is there a 2.5 amp band saw that someone can recommend? I don't want to buy something that is going to disappoint in a couple of months.

OR ...

Is there something that performs like a band saw that I should consider?

Greg

Or, someone may be able to recommend a tool forum that can help you to identify the cause of your current problem and allow you to fix it. Sears' latest financial problems notwithstanding, Craftsman has always been a well supported product and repair/replacement parts should be readily available.

Band saws are pretty simple tools. Have you adjusted the upper wheel to try and get the blade to track on the center of the tire? Note that you should start making this adjustment while turning the wheel by hand. If that doesn't work I would suggest you check to see that the wheels are aligned by using a long straightedge. If they look to be pretty good then you might need to replace the tires. The aren't too expensive and were out quickly if you leave the blade tensioned when not using it.

Good luck
Ted

how old is very old? 50's, 60's? 1980? if its old enough, you would be way better off fixing the one you have than purchasing new. what size is it? they are very simple tools. very easy to tune. it sounds like you just need a little aligning of the wheels to get it back on track. possibly new tires. easy fixes. when it comes to woodworking machinery, old is almost always better than new.

I bought a Grizzly band saw a few years ago and have been pleased with it.

how old is very old? 50's, 60's? 1980? if its old enough, you would be way better off fixing the one you have than purchasing new. what size is it? they are very simple tools. very easy to tune. it sounds like you just need a little aligning of the wheels to get it back on track. possibly new tires. easy fixes. when it comes to woodworking machinery, old is almost always better than new.

My guess is that it is from the 60's or early 70's. The tires are worn, and it certainly could use a new blade. So I'll look into replacement parts.

I need to check to see if I can find a manual for it, which would be a big help.

Greg

If you get a new one you will still need to adjust the blade--just the nature of the beast.

My guess is that it is from the 60's or early 70's. The tires are worn, and it certainly could use a new blade. So I'll look into replacement parts.

FIX IT!!!!!!1111oneoneoneoneone

They don't make 'em like they used to.... and that's coming from someone born in the '80s.... But working in a shop with old tools has given me a great appreciation for them.

Craftsman has a 2.5 amp bench top here.https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921419000P?mv=rr

If you are thinking about buying a new one,buy more than you need!! You will be glad you did trust me.This is my band saw and table saw.

bandandtab1.jpg

Uh oh...don't see a riving knife on your table saw.

I'm guessing your saw is older than a 2009 model when that became a mandatory safety feature.

Craftsman has a 2.5 amp bench top here.https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921419000P?mv=rr

If you are thinking about buying a new one,buy more than you need!! You will be glad you did trust me.This is my band saw and table saw.

bandandtab1.jpg

You really can`t go wrong with Delta tools ,as their quality control engineers at the plants are pretty good.

I have several Delta tools (I have the same contractor saw as in the picture ,different fence system and modified side leafs) 8" floor Jointer and other stuff ,and have never had a problem.Sure there are better machines out there ,but for the price ,you can`t go wrong.

I took off my stock splitter and pawl system and use a zero clearance throat and splitter system ,I love it !

And like in the picture ,a good homemade panel cutting jig is a must ,I made two.

I also love my Biesemeyer fence.That was the first thing I added to the saw and looked looked back.

Paul " you can never have too many tools" T

I looked up the data for the Craftsman parts and they do not stock the tires any longer. So I ordered some generics off of Amazon and am hoping that they will fit well enough.

Greg

Back