Post Your Best Rocket Name

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building a series of short rockets, all named for characters from the Hogan's Heroes TV series in the 60's.

4" 3FNC kit : General Burkhalter
5.5" FatBoy upscale: Sergeant Schultz
2" Jart kit : Major Hochstetter
3" custom short : Colonel Klink

Hope to have them finished in time to take with me to the launch in Manching, Germany at the end of August.
Most Germans have never seen the series Hogan's Heroes, so it's kind of an inside joke.
Should make for some interesting conversations, but one needs to be diplomatic about explaining the TV series.

Penta Gone, a 5 motor cluster.
Ring a ding ding, a ring fin.
Stoney Rock It, painted with rock look paint.
Head Case, HED.
I Hope This Works, first dual deploy rocket.
Double Trouble, A two stage rocket.
Blaze On, a lighted night flyer.
The Flying Pig, it has a toy pig in a clear body section.
The Flying Pumpkin, an oddRoc, it's a plastic pumpkin with a rocket going thru it. Flies good too.
Phallus, a pink rocket that looks like a ...
I also name a lot of rockets after the brightest stars when I can't think of anything else.

"The Pyrotechnic Chiropractor 2" since you'll crack your neck trying to follow it up....:p

It's my Wildman carbon fiber Mach 3 that will be flying at Airfest this year on a M2245.

The Pyrotechnic Chiropractor 1 was the fiberglass version and flew on a L2375 at last Airfest to 21215'.

"Fat Daddy Dirt Pile" -- It was an Estes Big Daddy that lawn darted into mud/swamp and survived but was covered in mud and still has mud engrained into the paint along with scratches from the tree branches it strained through without causing almost any damage. My Kids originally called it "Fat Daddy" instead of Big Daddy... and my daughter added Dirt Pile to the end when she saw me drag it out of the swamp covered in mud. Still have it.

Rockety McRocketface

A few years ago, I came across a poll to name a British research vessel and the winner ended up being Boaty McBoatface. Politics got in the way of poll results, apparently because the name was too ridiculous. Great story.

I just build a quick and dirty prototype of a rocket that looks like a torpedo. It's called Fire 1! It's BT-60 with an 18 mm motor mount. If it's successful, the full size version will be 3" diameter with either a 29 mm or 38 mm motor mount and a tube launcher, and it will be called Fire 2! I want LCOs to give the names as they push the button, of course.

Last edited:
I just build a quick and dirty prototype of a rocket that looks like a torpedo. It's called Fire 1! It's BT-60 with an 18 mm motor mount. If it's successful, the full size version will be 3" diameter with either a 29 mm or 38 mm motor mount and a tube launcher, and it will be called Fire 2! I want LCOs to give the names as they push the button, of course.

Did you read my mind somehow??? Not on the rocket name but the shape-concept. Mine is BT-60 tapered to BT-50 standard cheap plastic Estes fin unit. Taper part is 3d Printed. 18mm mount. Planning to fly it on a Quest D16. The Name: Futon Torpedo

20210721_121610.jpg

This rocket I named "X-EPHYR X-17" which incorporates many attributes of the original X-15 NASA theme by North American Aviation.

X-ephyr-desert.jpg

Did you read my mind somehow???
No. What I actually did was wonder about the competing effects of a boat tail (moves the CP forward) and a ring tail (very good at moving the CP aft). So what would happen if I put a ring tail around a boat tail, and what diameter would the ring have to be to make it stable? When, to my surprise, RS showed it was stable with the ring at the same size as the body, and I saw that I'd designed a tube launchable torpedo, I just had to build it.

I just discovered that I linked to the wrong picture in the post above. Let me go fix that.
Fixed.

No. What I actually did was wonder about the competing effects of a boat tail (moves the CP forward) and a ring tail (very good at moving the CP aft). So what would happen if I put a ring tail around a boat tail, and what diameter would the ring have to be to make it stable? When, to my surprise, RS showed it was stable with the ring at the same size as the body, and I saw that I'd designed a tube launchable torpedo, I just had to build it.

I just discovered that I linked to the wrong picture in the post above. Let me go fix that.
Fixed.
I wouldn't count on that working above about ~M0.8 FWIW ( depending on the length of the tailcone )

I wouldn't count on that working above about ~M0.8 FWIW ( depending on the length of the tailcone )
Why, is it a general rule that ringtails stop working in the transonic regime, or something like that? Anyway, I wouldn't figure on it reaching M0.8, so never mind working there.

Rocket for air starts and clusters:

Spontaneous Combustion

I'm building a series of short rockets, all named for characters from the Hogan's Heroes TV series in the 60's.

4" 3FNC kit : General Burkhalter
5.5" FatBoy upscale: Sergeant Schultz
2" Jart kit : Major Hochstetter
3" custom short : Colonel Klink

Hope to have them finished in time to take with me to the launch in Manching, Germany at the end of August.
Most Germans have never seen the series Hogan's Heroes, so it's kind of an inside joke.
Should make for some interesting conversations, but one needs to be diplomatic about explaining the TV series.
“I see nothink!”

Why, is it a general rule that ringtails stop working in the transonic regime, or something like that? Anyway, I wouldn't figure on it reaching M0.8, so never mind working there.
No, but if your airflow isn't reattaching it feels like the ringfin would lose a lot of efficacy? IDK just a hunch, but I would suspect a big wiggle until the air back there becomes incompressible.

I wanted to name a rocket... Gas Passer. Hmm....I think I will!
Not sure if it’s intended, but penguin looks like he’s tooting!
Pull my finger
Toot toot
Passing Wind

In one of rklapp's videos a friend of his son made a remark on the smell after a launch.
And so we have:
"Smells Like Farts"

Bonus points if the rocket does multiple chuffs before going.

Bonus points if the rocket does multiple chuffs before going.
That would be great, but sadly I've never detected any sulfurous smell (SO2 or preferably H2S) from composites. If any of the various compositions have noticeable amounts of sulfur, sulfates, etc. then there could be, and that would be a discussion for the restricted forum. (And I can see the thread title now: "Restricted: Fart Motors".)

That would be great, but sadly I've never detected any sulfurous smell (SO2 or preferably H2S) from composites. If any of the various compositions have noticeable amounts of sulfur, sulfates, etc. then there could be, and that would be a discussion for the restricted forum. (And I can see the thread title now: "Restricted: Fart Motors".)
In that instance, it would be aural, not olfactory.
One more then I'll go to my room.
Rocket similar to the Squirrel Works High 5 but with the index finger pointing out instead of a thumbs up.
1626964000248.png

Call it "Wasn't Me"

Future name candidates:
Outa Here
Gizmo
Lost In Space
Bob (with photo of Bill Murray)
Bob.jpg

"Uncrashable".

It crashed, I repaired it.
It crashed again, I repaired it again.
Then it had a spectacular CATO when a 6 grain J357 exploded, raining down shreds of Bluetube onto the pads.
So I am guessing you Rocket named Doom! Is over 100 flights and still going?

The Dark Side of White Wolf.

Attachments

• 30623730_1734427943285406_641004103488503808_o.jpg
    30623730_1734427943285406_641004103488503808_o.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 8
Back