Post Your Best Rocket Name

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modded G-Force painted flat black. "Blackout"
Blinged out Wild Child. "Pimp Child" (a.k.a. "It's all Mark's Fault" Just ask Stickershock)
Initiator w/ring fin. "Beyondce'" (if you like it put a ring on it...)
Bastardized Black Brandt. "Leftovers Again"
Old school all carbon bird (heavier than anvils). "Momentum"
Literally a conical nose cone and cf fin can. "Spike Lee"
(when stretched, it becomes "Nillsen" (me and my arrow)
Richter Recker. "Doofensmirtz Rockinator" (hey, I had the room..)
Minnie Magg w/ outboard 29's. "Maggma"
Unflown 3fnc. "Core Sampler VI"
Mini Pterodactyl. "Run, Spot, Run"
I renamed my Thumper "Barney Rubble" at the grave site...

Last edited:
Named "Throttle Up" after the last words spoken by the Space Shuttle Challenger crew. It also katoed off the launch pad. The only part that remained intact was the upper half.

I don't normally name rockets, just use the kit name. Most often, I fly kits, but for the scratches I do usually give them a name but more often than not they are kinda dumb. . .

One favorite is 'The 3 Stooges'. It is/was a 3 stage cluster rocket. 1st stage, 6x E9 or 12, 2nd stage 3x E9 or E12, 3rd stage was either 1x or 3x E9, depending on which iteration. My buddy and I fly that one as a team (i.e. split costs. . .) and it had 4 successful flights out of 5, but only 3 successful recoveries. I think the sustainer is currently what is in a tree, but maybe it was stage 2 that got lost, not sure. We need to rebuild. We have the technology. Pretty cool to light that many motors in one flight successfully.

If it is a generic scratch build just for the purpose of eating motors, I usually just name them people names, like Steve, Joe etc. randomly chosen at the last second and rarely re-used even when re-flown. Certain types of creativity, I am good at. Others, not so much. MY wife does better, but I can't think of any of hers right now.

Sandy.

I had a custom-designed competition payload bird back in the mid-70s that I had named 'Spoomert-1'. May not be the best name, but it was unusual!

I'm collecting all of the parts and pieces needed to build a 54MM minimum diameter mainly carbon fiber rocket powered by a Loki M.
It will be named "Colour Me GONE" I'm Canadian hence the "u" .

I have about 180 rockets. And they all have names. All but 18 are scratch builds. One is called Torch. Sometimes I come up with a name before I have built the rocket. Then build the rocket to match the name. I have a list of the 25 brightest stars, so there are several star rockets. I have a name in mind that would make an LCO blush. "Uranus Probe". Just need to come up with a design.

My 4 inch two stage uses punchy motors, then a two second delay. I call it "3 Seconds to Rush"

My 54mm minimum diameter project I call " No Real Hurry"

My new rocket is "The Possum Express". I hope it's not as much trouble as the real ones were!

Back