Polecat Aerospace communication, or lack thereof

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read through your build thread dixon, and all I have to is holy crap. I am not worthy. The build is far beyond anything I ever imagined doing, and the rocket came out beautiful.

I am looking to make mine a Level 2 rocket, capable of flying on big Is through Ks, as that is my next step, so I will do what is needed for that level and leave all the glassing to the pros.

The Loc kit is starting to grow on me, but I would still like it a little shorter, even if some nose weight is needed.

Thank you for posting the reasons for this kit being designed the was it was. Learning about what causes this design to be inherently unstable makes me understand the design decisions more. The work needed to make a scale version stable and fly right seems to be more cumbersome than it would be worth.

Now that the Loc short kit looks to be the way to go, I want to make sure of something I read in your thread. You say that you had to sak for the short nose cone, but that it is now standard. Did I read correctly and will not have to specify the short nose cone?

Steve

I called Polecat about a week ago to order some accessories, and a spare part, for one of their kits that I purchased in person at a vendor's booth. I got through on the first try and my parts were in the mail the next day.

Mix of L's and M's. Last was Loki M900 at Airfest a couple years back to 10Kft. Nice flight. Stable yes, never had to use NC weight.

Wow, nice! I wish I would have had the foresight to use a 75mm motor tube but I was trying to use up some of the spare parts I have on hand. I guess the biggest I could go would be an L1000W/L1090W in 54mm. You should bring that to Airfest...I would let you win a drag race and buy you a beer! :cheers:

I just read through your build thread dixon, and all I have to is holy crap. I am not worthy. The build is far beyond anything I ever imagined doing, and the rocket came out beautiful.

I am looking to make mine a Level 2 rocket, capable of flying on big Is through Ks, as that is my next step, so I will do what is needed for that level and leave all the glassing to the pros.

The Loc kit is starting to grow on me, but I would still like it a little shorter, even if some nose weight is needed.

Thank you for posting the reasons for this kit being designed the was it was. Learning about what causes this design to be inherently unstable makes me understand the design decisions more. The work needed to make a scale version stable and fly right seems to be more cumbersome than it would be worth.

Now that the Loc short kit looks to be the way to go, I want to make sure of something I read in your thread. You say that you had to sak for the short nose cone, but that it is now standard. Did I read correctly and will not have to specify the short nose cone?

Steve

Yes, Barry may have since moved to the 3:1 nosecone. If so, no need for special instructions.

BTW, don't want to discourage you from scratch building but the $188 is a pretty good price on the components bundle.

Regarding shortening it a bit, that's easy enough. Just really need to be careful if you shorten AND go to scale fins.

So, did you used the Loc short kit and make the modifications to that, or did you scratch build the whole thing?

It is all scratch built out of LOC parts I already had with the exception of the AV Bay I bought and the fins I cut myself.

The LOC 5.5" tube is 48" long and the short NC is 13". Cut 3" off the tube and you are right at 58", if you want it to be single delpoy that should be perfect.

Wow, nice! I wish I would have had the foresight to use a 75mm motor tube but I was trying to use up some of the spare parts I have on hand. I guess the biggest I could go would be an L1000W/L1090W in 54mm. You should bring that to Airfest...I would let you win a drag race and buy you a beer! :cheers:

Although sounds good, this rocket is now flying somewhere on the East Coast after I sold close to 40 built kits a couple of years ago: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67419-The-Great-Built-Kit-Sale&p=737352#post737352.

Jeff,

Loc lists their 5.5 inch tubes as coming in 42" lengths. Do you know something I don't?

No problem Dixon. You are not discouraging me. I am always open to options. I certainly don't want to build an unstable rocket that becomes a pile of cardboard and other bits on its first flight.

If scale size proves to be too tough to make stable without a ton of work, a little fudging here and there would be OK. And, you are right, the price of the kit is very attractive.

I am still on the fence as to which way to go.

Steve

Jeff,

Loc lists their 5.5 inch tubes as coming in 42" lengths. Do you know something I don't?

They must have changed the tube length since I bought mine, the one I used is probably 15 or more years old. They do sell a 20" payload kit in 5.5" that you could cut down and use depending on what length you decide to go with. You could even use it for a small altimeter bay and just use the motor for back-up without going dual deploy.

Back