SubAtomic PileDriver

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one TAP says flying in primer is called flying in "Underwear"
Great minds think alike, if my laziness and procrastination may be equated to greatness. There've been so many rockets I've primed than not got around to painting before launch day, and with people referring to "flying naked", I settled on the same expression.

My only goal with the finishing process is to make it incrementally better than the Minnie-Magg I built; this is only rocket number 2 so there will be plenty of opportunity for improvement on the next ones. 🖌️

Did some touch up on the rough areas, looks like I will need to buy more primer. :) I am using the Duplicolor high build primer and it seems a little thin compared to other primers I have used.
I finished wiring the ebay, except for some minor cable management. I used the JST connectors so I could move the sled to different diameter rockets in the future.

IMG_0442.JPG

The switch attachment differences between the RRC3 and RRC2 messed with my brain a little, which is why there is some extra wire floating around.

I am sneaking out and working on it about an hour a night to get it ready for our 10/15 launch.

I had the paint booth fired up this weekend.

IMG_0443.JPG

Since our launch was delayed, it might get painted after all.

I spent 4 hours Sunday organizing my range boxes, there is exponentially more stuff you need to bring with electronic deployment.

First flight will be a Loki I-405-LW

Yes, if the weather permits. I want to test my electronic deployment on the Minnie Magg first, I had some tube laying around, so I added a short upper payload section to it.

I am going to build the motor and check the balance this week, The only things left to do are testing the ejection charges and rigging the chute.

I built a Minnie-Magg for my level 1 and flew it a lot this past year. I had a few "issues" with motor ejection, so for next year I decided I needed a new rocket to try electronic deployment. I could have just bought a payload bay and an extension for the Minnie-Magg, but that seemed boring.

So I have been looking through the forum and came upon something called a Nuclear Sledgehammer:
View attachment 548989

This seemed really cool, but quite large, and not made anymore. Also, the construction was seemingly very complicated, I like the simple LOC construction.

Then I got to thinking that the sweep of the rear fins was nearly the same as my Minnie-Magg and.........
View attachment 548990

The parts here are a complete 5.5" Minnie-Magg kit, a Wolverine body tube [34"] that is sold separately, a long LOC nosecone with the weight system, and the LOC 5.5" altimeter bay.

I had Scott at Dragon Rocketry cut the wings and the extra bulkheads I needed. The view of the interior:
View attachment 548991
I plan to build the entire fin can outside the body tube like I did on the Minnie-Magg, just looking for a warmer day.
View attachment 548992

I didn't want to call it a Nuclear Sledgehammer so the name seemed appropriate for a smaller version.
Rschub,
Thanks for sharing the Piledriver story. It’s a beautiful rocket. To me it’s a compliment to know the Sledgehammer inspired your project. I am looking forward to the rest of the build. Keep the updates coming.

Blue windless skies,
Steely

Back