pets are like children esp when sick

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear there are some positive signs. Here's to hoping for many more!

I've had 2 Doxie's, and they both have back problems. My first had a real problem, it almost came to surgery to correct it. Luckily for both us us that wasn't necessary, and she recovered to 90% of what she was. #2 is a hyper-kinetic male, and he is about 99% back to where he was.

The key is to keep giving them the meds, as the doctor prescribed, and strict "bed" rest, and they will get better; never fast enough for us, but they will recover.

The key to avoid back problems is weight control and exercise.

Weight: Grocery store dog food is crap. Once your guy gets his.her appetite back go to a pet store or a feed store and get a weight control feed. Ask your vet for a recommendation. Doxies can't be too thin. on a standard coat you should be able to see where the ribcage ends, but not the individual ribs.

Exercise: the back muscles help support the long back, so they have to be strong. Walking is good, taking them to a dog park and let them run is better. Digging is natural for them, but can be the cause of some problems (ie. worms).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Noah is recovering slowly. standing a little hear and there then flopping to a seated possition. she is eating well and drinking. he is listless atimes and gives me a I hate you sounds when I put him back in the cage. but he is getting better. I pray every day he speeds back to his old self. me on the other hand i'm ok this whole thing with him being sick has had me at my wits with worry. even though I know he will and is getting better. Thank you all for the support.

Hey, if nothing else give him LOTS of cuddles when he isn't in the cage. That might be some of the best medicine you can give him (and yourself). :D

I totally agree. just put him back in the cage as he is tring to get off the chair to do stuff. he is able to walk a little better. so hopefully in time he will be back to normal.

From what I've heard about this from my friend (whose dachshund had the same thing) as hard as it is, you just can't get him out of the cage or you could dramatically set his progress backwards. We do what's best for our kids even when they are too young to understand. You want what's best for him, you just have to do what the vet says, even if its hard.

You can do this.

Hang in there.

SOrry for the delay I have dealing with some stuff and caring for noah he is doing on about 80% so far walking great but tips his rear paws so we are going to get the booties to protect them. he is doing good walking well on carpets and is more active. the vet had me taking him in a hot bath with me 3 times a week after i did it once and he had a amazing recovery. he walks ok though he wobbles and sits again. he it sill getting bed rest but he is getting his rehab. we go see the vom in a few days and them its set bedrest times

GLAD to hear it !

I've had 2 doxies so I feel your pain. Both of them have back problems, one not bad and the other was so bad that it almost came to surgery. They got better. My current baby, Willy, is 99% better.

The secret is weight control. don't let them get heavy, and if they are heavy put them on a diet.

well noah is doing well today walking and playing but i force him to relax for a few hours and sleep. the vet has also just given us some antibiotic as she now says that their is a posability that he got lyme desiese. due to his extreamly rapid recovery. i'm so glad too. he is my baby. thank you again for all the support

well noah is doing so much better but he is still caged 12 our of the 24 hrs in a day and is not alowed to jump at all. his ballence is off still a little so the kitchin floor is like and icerink lol. he is eating better and starting to gain back the waight he loss. not that he os overwaight when he went down he is still getting two prunes a day as well as brown rice mixed with his food. and he is back to sleeping with me again. yay

noah is doing ok he is sleeping at the moment. though I need to give him his meds soon. he has been gaining weight and that I dont like I know it because of the meds so he is on a diet. other then that he is good.

Sue and company at Susas sunroom were asking about Noah (and you ;)) the other day too. If you stop by and say hello, I know they'll appreciate it.

That's great, Charlaine! What a relief.

My neighbor has a family member in hospice care so I'm stopping in a lot to take care of her 16-year-old dog. She's a very lovely dog, but I'm a cat owner and I'd forgotten what it was like to be blasted with doggie breath. :p

That's great, Charlaine! What a relief.

My neighbor has a family member in hospice care so I'm stopping in a lot to take care of her 16-year-old dog. She's a very lovely dog, but I'm a cat owner and I'd forgotten what it was like to be blasted with doggie breath. :p

It's well worth it!:)

It's well worth it!:)

I'm glad to help her out. I feel so bad for the ol' gal--she's getting used to seeing my face over there but she's not used to being alone this much. I'd bring her over if it would help but our active household would be way too disruptive to her routine.

A few year's ago I read "Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog" to my kids (with edits on the adult version). Wonderful book: highly recommended to anyone who loves pets!

Oh great. Now our bunny is giving me the cold shoulder because I haven't been out to spend time with her for three days. :rolleyes:

noah is doing well though as i type my cat is citting ok my arms and keyboard so i am typing with out seeing the keys. i sware she is trying to teach me to type. but her way over heats my hands lol. noah is sleeping right now and is doing better. i just wish i could make him feel better.

Glad to heard!!!

My weiner dog Bud dislocated a disk in his right back leg and he was 17 so he just didn't have the strength to recover.

Its something you have to watch with that breed and it can hit suddendly. He honestly never showed any problems. He could go up and down all chairs/couches and all 32 steps. He was even loosing some weight from coming in to our house (he was my grandparents) and we came home one day and he jumped on my leg and fell back. Then he couldn't get up and drug his butt across the floor. My parents took him to the vet and I never saw him again.

Be careful, they are great dogs. (and funny too)

Ben

noah is doing great clinging as all heck but great. still on the meds till they run out. and vet today says that she was totaly suprised to see the difference.

well noah is doing great but we are getting ready to go to the vet soon for full xray set and for a full bloodwork. he is active and playfull and his eating habbets are calming down again. i'm happy my baby is doing better.

Glad to hear that Noah is doing better. :):):)

It is so rewarding to see their tags wagging at you. :):):)

noah is doing well though I have had to cut his food intake down due to his meds causeing him to pork out. have the vets went well but we are still awiting the xrays.

Doxies always have a weight problem. I feed mine a formula for "over weight" dogs. Generally grocery store foods are crap. Have your vet recommend something, and stick to it.

It's hard, Doxies can be such moochers with those big brown eyes looking up at you.

Back