Our boy is gone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your loss. You can tell from that photo that he was a good dog.

We thought about getting a rescue dog. Don't know at this point. Another thing people are doing now is adopting older dogs that are up to be destroyed. That takes a special person to take in an old dog knowing they aren't going to live long. Maybe when I retire Ill go that route. Heck, I got 12 acres here, hahah We could have lots of dogs running around. :smile:

gotta tell ya, the rescue dog route is not a bad way to go.Just be prepared, ya never know what's going on in their heads. Sammy, the Wolf /Pyrenees, is a rescue and it took her a couple of months to get used to us but once she came around she wouldn't leave my side. I guess she let me in her pack!

Sorry for your loss Scotty. They are just as much family as humans! Hang in there!

Talking about adopting a senior pet ...
I have fond memories of a childhood beagle then a collie yet in my adult life cats have worked better for my lifestyle - and even though my orange guys were rescued young the idea of adopting senior pets is appealing. If for no other reasons than that I have worked in human nursing homes and seen the overwhelming human need for love, overwhelming enough that I can't handle it any more, and now my own health is a mess at age of 53, soon to be 54, and I'd like if someone cared about me as a less than perfect creature as a senior.
And that need for love and caring is felt in even dogs and cats and many other animals: their actions and reactions demonstrate that.
I follow cat stories more than dog stories but there are a number of both which are the character of this title,
"13-year Old Shelter Cat Is So Happy to Be Adopted, The Most Beautiful Thing Happens...
"The sweet ginger boy was having a difficult time finding a home due to his age and health issues until he met Sarah…"
"Since Jamie arrived in his new home, he's been pouring love and affection to his human mom, telling her every second just how grateful he is to have a loving home to spend his retirement. "
""Jamie needs a special diet and has health problems too but he is so loving. I feel good knowing I am giving him a happy and comfortable life for as long as he has left.
"I'd like to think his young years were spent loving an elderly person, and now he is elderly, a younger person will love and look after him."

Give a senior some love, the four feet and two feet ones both.

All dogs go to heaven and if they don't I want to go where they went.

My condolences.

Mike

Sorry about your loss, Scotty.

I am sure Kodiak appreciated you being there to the very end.

Amazing how these furry friends get so wound up in your heart strings.

Our Lucy the yellow lab is 8, going strong but I still dread the day. Like Kodiak, EVERYBODY loves her on sight.

So glad you and Sandy could share a wonderful life with your dog.

Tom

++ on the older/rescue dogs. It does take a huge heart to get someone's used dog but they know... What really sucks to me is the life expectancy is just too damned short and the bigger the dog usually the less time they have. My big red Dobie lived to 12, far beyond a normal Doberman. Then you got parrots....freaking parrots that live to be 100 or more. Nasty damned critters and they live to be 100...

My roomie has a Miniature English Bull Terrier, Elle. She fills the house with boundless energy, she's a great little dog and she is a used dog but only two years old. I keep kicking myself in the ass for passing on a Rottweiler that was 2, a huge mistake on my part....*sigh*...

I can relate Scotty, I truly can. I'm with ya, brother. And it's okay to cry.

Very sorry for your loss. Losing a buddy is very hard, but you will think of him every launch morning, and he will be there with you.

Tinker

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've said it before, I'll say it again... Pets are family, and the loss of one is never easy.

Praying for you and your family.

Talking about adopting a senior pet ...
I have fond memories of a childhood beagle then a collie yet in my adult life cats have worked better for my lifestyle - and even though my orange guys were rescued young the idea of adopting senior pets is appealing. If for no other reasons than that I have worked in human nursing homes and seen the overwhelming human need for love, overwhelming enough that I can't handle it any more, and now my own health is a mess at age of 53, soon to be 54, and I'd like if someone cared about me as a less than perfect creature as a senior.
And that need for love and caring is felt in even dogs and cats and many other animals: their actions and reactions demonstrate that.
I follow cat stories more than dog stories but there are a number of both which are the character of this title,

Give a senior some love, the four feet and two feet ones both.
I have a friend at work that went to look at a car. While at the house he went to ,the neighbor came over with a 3 legged beagle trailing behind him. Short story told here, the guy said the beagle was going to be put down soon. So my buddy said , well if that's the cause, Ill take him home with me. And he did. That dog lived a loved and wonderful life with him and his kids. Don't know for sure for how long, but it was years.He said he knew damn well that beagle knew he recued him from death. He said that beagle just smothered him and his kids with love, affection and also always wanted to be HIS side. He felt safe.

Well, our boy came home yesterday. They made a real cool cast of his paw print out of red clay with his name and date on the back, also has some fur /pieces of hair stuck in it too. hahha very cool. They also gave us a card stating they donated some coin in his name to a dog park that's being built in town. Those two little things they did for us sure helped a whole bunch. Later on down the road Ill make a box for his ashes.

Well, our boy came home yesterday. They made a real cool cast of his paw print out of red clay with his name and date on the back, also has some fur /pieces of hair stuck in it too. hahha very cool. They also gave us a card stating they donated some coin in his name to a dog park that's being built in town. Those two little things they did for us sure helped a whole bunch. Later on down the road Ill make a box for his ashes.

In Portland, at the Portland Saturday Market, there's a guy who sandblasts messages and art into river stones. My sister and I gave one to my mom when her beloved cat Micestro (a black and white stray with a musical note marking on his nose) had to be put down after becoming ill and not responding to treatment (he lived with her from when he was a stray kitten until he was 15). Upon seeing that, a number of friends and family have received similar marking stones for their pets.

Crazy thing is, that the tradition then spread to the family. When family members passed away, marking stones would be made for them, and placed around a fire pit in the family's old deer hunting camp. When we last went up there, a lot of the area had been logged, but the area around the camp was marked for permanent protection when the loggers discovered the markings. Now a head stone has been placed up there, and ashes of several of the family have been spread there.

Back