Taking the leap!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The announcement is going out at work today.

I’m retiring July 1st, 2020.

It’s 1.5 years early as I originally was going to leave at age 65.

Finances are great, Am chronically fatigued from prostate cancer salvage treatment in 2016. PSA is staying down and will find out later this month if staying there. Had surgery and it was a peripheral lesion that leaked into the prostate bed only. Specialized scan, choline PET, found it and was blasted with 45 radiation treatments and was Lupron’d. You tain’t been castrated until one has been chemically castrated!! Talk about hot flashes from hell!! Fortunately, only had to undergo 2 years of that. Still have a few hot flushes now and then but no more “blowtorch in the small of the back” and the desire to strip out of my clothes. No evidence of disease so far.

I am the sole caregiver to our autistic spectrum 25 year old son. He has speech and the mentality of an 8 year old. He was incredibly violent during adolescence with unpredictable meltdowns. My wife was subjected to it more than me and I got called home from work many times and the police knew our house very well as we had to call them over 22 times to help gain control. Chris would see the uniform and gun belt and immediately settle down. One officer was a blonde haired woman and Chris was fascinated with blonde hair. He’d settle down and start talking Disney movies with her. Once Chris got through adolescence and graduated from special education at age 22, our prayers were answered (our own miracle actually) and the violent behavior completely disappeared!! I can take him anywhere, go out to eat and will be able to travel and go to rocket launches in the presence of other folks with no problems. He does fine at home while I’m at work.

Unfortunately my wife died January 2019 from Radon induced lung cancer. Neither of us knew it was an issue and it wasn’t a requirement when we bought our house in 1995. She was a nurse and never smoked a cigarette in her life! I bought a meter
and omg was 2 to 4 times higher than what was considered safe. After she died, I had the Radon mitigators install a system and it’s hardly detectable now. We had three months to say good bye and at least she lived to see Chris graduate and totally improve his behavior. In fact, if she hadn’t got sick, we likely would have been able to take a family vacation for the first time since having kids last summer. We never knew when Chris would have a meltdown so it was difficult to take him anywhere public. I have an older married daughter who’s fine and doing well. She and her husband have Covid resistant employment. He’s always worked for the patent office reviewing applications online and she runs a quality control lab in a fertilizer plant considered an essential industry. If farmers can’t get fertilizer for their fields, there won’t be much to eat.

I’ve been through a lot and come through it. I’d hate to work, retire and drop dead in 6 months hence vacating now.

Will deep clean the house and my two workshops. When that settles will get back to building. Haven’t flown HPR in over 4 years and look forward to getting back to it. Chris will be able to come along too.

It is time to go into retirement.

Kurt

Last edited:
The announcement is going out at work today.

I’m retiring July 1st, 2020.

It’s 1.5 years early as I originally was going to leave at age 65.

Finances are great, Am chronically fatigued from prostate cancer salvage treatment in 2016. PSA is staying down and will find out later this month if staying there. Had surgery and it was a peripheral lesion that leaked into the prostate bed only. Specialized scan, choline PET, found it and was blasted with 45 radiation treatments and was Lupron’d. You tain’t been castrated until one has been chemically castrated!! Talk about hot flashes from hell!! Fortunately, only had to undergo 2 years of that. Still have a few hot flushes now and then but no more “blowtorch in the small of the back” and the desire to strip out of my clothes. No evidence of disease so far.

I am the sole caregiver to our autistic spectrum 25 year old son. He has speech and the mentality of an 8 year old. He was incredibly violent during adolescence with unpredictable meltdowns. My wife was subjected to it more than me and I got called home from work many times and the police knew our house very well as we had to call them over 22 times to help gain control. Chris would see the uniform and gun belt and immediately settle down. One officer was a blonde haired woman and Chris was fascinated with blonde hair. He’d settle down and start talking Disney movies with her. Once Chris got through adolescence and graduated from special education at age 22, our prayers were answered (our own miracle actually) and the violent behavior completely disappeared!! I can take him anywhere, go out to eat and will be able to travel and go to rocket launches in the presence of other folks with no problems. He does fine at home while I’m at work.

Unfortunately my wife died January 2019 from Radon induced lung cancer. Neither of us knew it was an issue and it wasn’t a requirement when we bought our house in 1995. She was a nurse and never smoked a cigarette in her life! I bought a meter
and omg was 2 to 4 times higher than what was considered safe. After she died, I had the Radon mitigators install a system and it’s hardly detectable now. We had three months to say good bye and at least she lived to see Chris graduate and totally improve his behavior. In fact, if she hadn’t got sick, we likely would have been able to take a family vacation for the first time since having kids last summer. We never knew when Chris would have a meltdown so it was difficult to take him anywhere public. I have an older married daughter who’s fine and doing well. She and her husband have Covid resistant employment. He’s always worked for the patent office reviewing applications online and she runs a quality control lab in a fertilizer plant considered an essential industry. If farmers can’t get fertilizer for their fields, there won’t be much to eat.

I’ve been through a lot and come through it. I’d hate to work, retire and drop dead in 6 months hence vacating now.

Will deep clean the house and my two workshops. When that settles will get back to building. Haven’t flown HPR in over 4 years and look forward to getting back to it. Chris will be able to come along too.

It is time to go into retirement.

Kurt
Congratulations on well earned retirement, Kurt. You’ve had more than your share of challenges. I hope you have a long and restful life remaining with renewed vigor and interest in everything that you love.

Congrats on the retirement, and I hope you have many years of relaxation!

I’m going to tell you what I was told when I retired at age 59...

“WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG!?”

Between pension and both of us drawing Social Security AND minus the costs associated with working full-time (commute, eating out, paying others to do household stuff, clothing, convenience eating), we’ve never been this well off.

Enjoy your retirement! You worked for it.

Wow, that's great! You've always been very willing to share your knowledge (especially of radios) with others on this forum, so it's good to hear you'll have even more time to work on your hobbies. It does sound like you've more than earned your retirement and I hope your level 3 gets some serious attention.

Congrats to you, and your son, sounds like it's been a long, rough road for the both of you.

Tony

Last edited:
Well, I'm a new guy around here & haven't "met" you yet on the forum, but as a fellow parent of an autistic son (now 34), I say congratulations! I'm still about 16 months away from that wonderful time. I hope you have really good times with your son & extended family!

Thanks again all. Now that the announcement has gone out I do feel a bit different and a load is off my shoulders.
I figure it will take maybe a year to get the cleaning and rearranging done. Few years back we had a sewer line backup. Tree roots got into the city line and rain water flooded the basement to a quarter inch. City had a sewer truck with a high pressure water/cutter head and put the cutter head down a manhole in an unimproved area of a city park just outside my backyard property line. I found out they laid tiles through the woods!! How stupid!! Tree roots got into the tiles and caused the rain backup. I had the floor drain plugged and when they turned on the high pressure water/cutting head, it blew sludge out the basement toilet up the service line!!!

I’m glad I wasn’t standing there by the toilet and was outside watching them feeding the cutting hose.

Found out that one’s usual home owner’s insurance didn’t cover this without a rider. Agents don’t tell you this stuff anymore when you take out a policy. Oh well, a lot of stuff needed to be thrown out anyways. All my rocket and r/c stuff was off the floor. The basement was finished off too and the water didn’t make it to the paneling nor did it undermine the linoleum flooring. Had professional cleaners come out and in the end, it was about 4 grand. Sally took care of a lot of stuff like renting a storage locker and helping me move the light stuff. I have a large shop vac I used over 2 days to get the water/sludge, I’d say it was a “light, crude ,sludge”, off the floor.

The gist of this is there is a bunch of stuff (of the floor) in boxes I need to go through and get rearranged. I still have to go through my wife’s clothes and disperse them to Goodwill or a similar place. Not too many women around here who are a 4 petite!

Kurt

Best wishes for your new endeavors, ironically, this is prolly the best time to retire. I’ve worked past my shelf life and this shelter in place has me considering options going forward. 5th week of furlough and I’ve built two rockets so far, twice what I’ve done in the last 3 years. Ad Astra, my friend!

Kurt,
You've been through so much..
All the best is ahead of you..
You have my best wishes for the future to be all you want it to be..

Teddy

Wow, that's great! You've always been very willing to share your knowledge (especially of radios) with others on this forum, so it's good to hear you'll have even more time to work on your hobbies. It does sound like you've more than earned your retirement and I hope your level 3 gets some serious attention.

Congrats to you, and your son, sounds like it's been a long, rough road for the both of you.

Tony

Kurt I've read a lot of your posts through the years and they have been incredibly helpful. Sharing your history is extremely brave of you and brings a connection to you and your posts. Your struggles and losses have been deep and challenging yet you couldn't tell as you've always been consistent, helpful and informative through the years. I really wish you and your family the best and hope you can find joy, healing and comfort for the many years ahead of you. I'm glad you're still here. Keep your spirits up. You've also brought up something that has always been in the back of my mind, radon tests. We're getting a test kit. Although our zipcode is in the <2.9 range there are neighboring zips that have 30-70+.
BTW, I always offer "service line" coverage on all my clients home owners policies. There are some good agents left out there. :computer:
Looking forward to seeing your work!

Sorry, Kurt; missed this thread till now. I add my congrats. Sounds like you have had an often sad but ultimately rewarding life. Enjoy life out from under the yoke!

Back